16 cas vs 14?

fightingfi

2[H]4U
besides the price difference i think, is it worth 14 or 16 cas? thinking because i might go new amd 2700x

is there really any true difference in the speed\ cas ?

biggest difference is that c14 at 3200 means your getting samsung b die which is some of the most overclockable ram out there
with some luck 2700x with its new mb will better handle over 3200mhz than first gen ryzen

you can estimate how much faster it is with this calculation
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAS_latency
the latency difference is ~10% between 3200c16 and 3200c14 but the actual performance difference to the cpu will be much lower

In terms of true latency, the CL16 3200MHz sticks are around the same as 3000MHz CL15. Also most times you end up with Hynix ICs.

3200MHz CL14 is around 3600MHz CL16. It's pretty much Samsung B-die only.

If you are building a new system to be proud of I'd definitely suggest those samsumg b-die modules. Should help you get the best perf out of your cpu and the least frustration trying to reach the advertized spec. I've gotten some bargain bin modules to OC to 3200 cl15-cl16 on AM4, but it really can be quite a headache sometimes getting complete stability. Do yourself a favor and make it easier on yourself.

You can always try to push even tighter timings once you have the b-dies

biggest difference is that c14 at 3200 means your getting samsung b die which is some of the most overclockable ram out there
with some luck 2700x with its new mb will better handle over 3200mhz than first gen ryzen

you can estimate how much faster it is with this calculation
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAS_latency
the latency difference is ~10% between 3200c16 and 3200c14 but the actual performance difference to the cpu will be much lower

The one thing I splurged on my recent build was CAS14 3200Mhz GSkill memory...

Any tips on how to determine if it is indeed Samsung B-die?

I believe you can view the module manufacturer within Hardware Info 64.

Huh- right you are. Thanks for the tip.

Glad the extra $20 was "worth" it

4jEM21c.jpg

That doesn't tell you if it's B, D or E die though. From what I've seen, anything other than the Cas 14 is some other die than B. I had Trident Z 3400mhz Cas 16 that was E die.

That doesn't tell you if it's B, D or E die though. From what I've seen, anything other than the Cas 14 is some other die than B. I had Trident Z 3400mhz Cas 16 that was E die.

True. I just saw "Samsung".

I wonder if the serial numbers indicate

Back