• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

$149 PC at Outpost.com

Okay folks, buying this for a teenager who has outgrown the last cheap box I built. I know the ram is too short and the photo looks like there is only two slots.

So I have two questions.

I saw folks mix matching 2700 and 3200 so I asume as long as its 184 pin that would be fine.The system will not be over clocked but would rather have 3200 so if need be it could be pulled for another build.

Since its not dual channel, I am also assuming I can mix the sizes - use the one 128 thats there and add a 512 stick of 3200.
Never built or owned an AMD system. I know what the manual says, but want feedback from the folks using the system.
 
The system comes with 128MB of PC2700. This is a single channel motherboard so yes you place an additional PC3200 module and it will run at PC2700 speeds (333MHz).

Nice little system. The Linspire 4.5 is really a personal preference item. I used it for a week and decided I liked XP better (had extra COA from a dead system). Running with no issues for ten weeks now.
 
Would this power say a 9600xt? I have a friend who has to sell his gaming rig and trying to find a way for him to still play CS with me. 60for 512 stick of ram and 80 for a 9600xt it wouldnt be to bad.
 
Shakezilla said:
Would this power say a 9600xt? I have a friend who has to sell his gaming rig and trying to find a way for him to still play CS with me. 60for 512 stick of ram and 80 for a 9600xt it wouldnt be to bad.
i am wondering this also.and would i be able to connect this directly to my tv (no monitor)?
 
I think it would be fine with a 9600xt. I have a 6800 vanilla in mine and it does fine.
 
wat about connecting it to my tv without a monitor.like using the s-video out?
 
so a 9600xt or a vanilla 6800 and 512mb of ram would run cs:source well??? Cause my roomy wants to play some cs;source and if this would run it then he will surely go for this. It will not have low framerates? I am running cs;source at like 80fps with my pc (stats below). I nkow it will not look as good, but as long as it runs it smoothley looks won't matter much. Ijsut want to be sure it will run it smoothly, or my roomy will kill me for making him spend the money on it just to run cs:s and not work well.
 
It will be back prior to Thanksgiving, so have your card ready to pounce once they hit. I cannot decide if I am going to buy one or two myself. I find that every day that goes buy, I appreciate this system more and more.
 
setscrew said:
It will be back prior to Thanksgiving, so have your card ready to pounce once they hit. I cannot decide if I am going to buy one or two myself. I find that every day that goes buy, I appreciate this system more and more.

I really can't spend any more cash, but I love this thing and I am trying to think of a way to get another one.

This little guy is kickin ass at 220fsb. Is there any way to up the voltage? I didn't see it in the bios. I think 220 is the limit. I can't seem to go higher with mine. I wil try a better HSF.

Also, has anyone found a good temp monitor for this thing. MBM doesn't support it as far as I know.
 
I am going to trying placing a Thermalright Si-97 heatsink with a low speed fan in my system. You may find that 220 is the upper limit of the motherboard circuitry regardless of HSF combination used (as it an economy platform).

There is no voltage adjustment in the BIOS.

When using MBM, scroll down the ECS list and find one that uses the same SiS chipset. It does not matter if the specific motherboard is not listed as the chipset is the determining factor.
 
It's better than before. It now comes with a Sempron 2400+ and Linspire 5.0. Working link: http://shop2.outpost.com/product/4568777

outpost still has the same errors as before, corrections in dark red:
Front Side Bus: 266MHz 333MHz, max FSB 400MHz
Two DIMM slots for 168-pin SDRAM memory modules 184 pin DDR
Support for 200/266 MHz memory bus PC3200 max memory speed, includes PC2700 memory
and it also supports AGP4x/8x, not just 4x.

I hope Fry's has this system for $99 on black friday. I bought the Sempron 2200+ model last year for $99 on black friday. :D
 
Do yourself a favor and get some PC3200 RAM. This will enable you to easliy raise the FSB once you ditch the included 128MB module.

With the current prices, obtaining two 512MB, PC3200 modules is quite affordable. I have two PC3200 Crucial value modules in mine.

Ew, GQ PCs, I see them come back WAY too often.

I cannot disagree with you as the build quality is not the highest, but I have been using this system daily for four months now with zero issues. For the low purchase price, I believe it is worth the low risk.
 
Recently got this pc at the $149 price. It was running Linspire 5.0 and that was fun to play wth. However this machine is meant to be a gift for someone and i was trying to load Windows XP on it. It went through the entire install process, but upon boot up couldnt find the OS. So i tried fdisking, and formating with a 98se boot disk with system files. It also said the same thing.
I tried looking up this motherboard. Couldnt find anything about it on google, nor even ECS's website. they have info for a 741gx-m; but, not for 741gx-m2. The bios date is 07/2005.. ECS doesnt even acknowledge the motherboard exists. ive emailed them, and am awaiting a reply.

Is it possible that this motherboard was specifically made to run with and only with Linspire 5? I for the life of me cant figure out why formatting with /s command will not allow booting to C drive. im stumped. probly gonna now buy a different socket A board to finish this pc before christmas if i cant resolve it.

Any one else have an M2 board and succesfully loaded a different OS?
 
Very strange.

I have the 741gx-m in my QC system. With regard to installing XP, the install went flawless for me using the XP CD, so I have no advice there.

Have you tried reinstalling Linspire 5.0? I am wondering if something occured with the system concurrently with the XP install that would render the OS unfindable.

Good luck.
 
In order for WinXP to load on mine I had to change the CD-ROM from the first boot device to the last after running the initial drive format and preload of setup files.

Otherwise it kept saying it cant load the OS.
 
Good idea.

I always do that after the primary installation, but did not think it would prevent a successful boot. Hopefully that will be the cause.
 
Oh yea... :eek:

It's back!!! The $159.99 Sempron 2400+ computer. For all those waiting out there for this deal to resurface, here it is.

Does grandma or junior need a computer, this is the best deal around.

Hoo Rahh

 
Slava said:
It comes with Lindows operating system. Personally I wouldn't even touch that crap.

It's not as bad as you might think... certainly not for geeks though.
 
folks - got a question here. if i add a new psu (350watt for microatx), add a mid range video card and a gig of memory, will that be enough to run games like doom3 albeit not at highest level of detail? thanks in advance
 
The short answer is yes; although you will be processor bound.

I did everything you stated (2x512 PC3200, 400W. PS, 9800XT) and this system runs like a champ. Once I get a Thermalright SI-97a heatsink, I will bump the FS bus speed for a cheap overclock. If this drops to $149 (or lower) again, I will probably pick-up a second system.
 
I bought one of these for my son last weekend. Upgraded RAM, Video, DVD. He plays World of Warcraft. The computer seems to handle it just fine. I decided to get it last weekend in hopes that Fry's will have it for $99 on Black Friday. Last year, the $99 special sold out with the first hour of the store opening. Fry's has a 30 day low price guarantee and will refund the difference of the advertised price. I hope it is advertised for $99 and get some money back, but if not I feel that the price I paid was not too bad.

VwVanMan
 
VwVanMan said:
I bought one of these for my son last weekend. Upgraded RAM, Video, DVD. He plays World of Warcraft. The computer seems to handle it just fine. I decided to get it last weekend in hopes that Fry's will have it for $99 on Black Friday. Last year, the $99 special sold out with the first hour of the store opening. Fry's has a 30 day low price guarantee and will refund the difference of the advertised price. I hope it is advertised for $99 and get some money back, but if not I feel that the price I paid was not too bad.

VwVanMan

just called them and verified that they will refund the difference... a lot of places have started to not honor this on black friday. had to check... :D
 
OUCH, the Sempron 2400+ system mentioned several posts ^^^ seems to have jacked up to $269.99! :mad:
 
My "mother-in-law" snagged 2 of these on B.F. at Fry's for $99
(she got her limit of 1 her hubby got 1)
She gave it to us (mainly my wife) as a home office comp.
Because i turned our main one into some monster living room gaming sys. :D

Seems like a great lil comp (after i dumped the linspire) FDISK'ed it and loaded
WinME (I know WinME sux but it's what i had and what she wanted on it)
after reading this thread I threw in a stick of 512mb pc3200 and so far "all is well"

Now i need to find the correct thread to ask about other semi-cheap upgrades I
can do to this comp.
If it needs a vid card or would a vid card speed it up??
She mainly uses it for eBay, Surfing, Listening to music, and ALL while
playing games on pogo.

There is a place to add a fan on the rear of the case (not sure what size yet)
but should I add one.
ANY help or help pointing me to the correct thread on asking these things,
plus other needed upgrades on this machine would be GREATLY appreciated.
 
Great deal at $99.

If it needs a vid card or would a vid card speed it up??
For what she is doing, a AGP video card would not speed up her games, but it would speed up the system as you would be freeing up the shared RAM that the onboard video uses. A great card if you choose to do so, would be a used 9800 PRO($80). A good all around card would be a used Ti4200 64 or 128MB ($20-30;best bang for the buck). The cheapest way to speed up the system is to ditch the 128MB PC2700 and put another 512MB PC3200 module in there for a total of 1 GB for what she is using it for. Oh, do her a favor by getting XP in lieu of ME please.

There is a place to add a fan on the rear of the case (not sure what size yet)
The maximum size is 92mm. I would most certainly place one back there as the inside can get a tad warm (especially if you add a video card). Look for a Nexus 92mm case fan. I have a Panaflow L1A on mine.

PM me if you have any more questions so we keep the thread on topic.
 
Just ordered one for the mother, she's still using the comp she bought for me while I was in high school (8 years old)

just under 200 with shipping to FL. The rep says it's on backorder, they don't know when it'll come in, but I am locked in with that price. Said that another shipment is due in the beginning of December.

Gonna toss in a spare 9700 Pro, 1GB of PC3200, and a DVD Burner, should last Mom another few years. Not bad for under 3 bills.
 
Back
Top