• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

145K+ PPD -- You bastards!

Looks like I need to buy an SR-2 system to make it more fun ............ :p

Luck ........... :D
[H]

Come on Tiger, I wanna hear you ROAR!!!! Man I like this team!

Now, to save up for some of my own upgrades now that work has picked up again....
 
WOO HOO

Tobit has made it into the Top 10 PPD for the first time evah. :cool:

Now he just needs to figure out how to stay up here. :rolleyes:
 
Tobit has made it into the Top 10 PPD for the first time evah. :cool:

Now he just needs to figure out how to stay up here. :rolleyes:
Are you running more than one hex-core machine or just the SR-2? Congrats, BTW. :cool:
 
Are you running more than one hex-core machine or just the SR-2? Congrats, BTW. :cool:
Thanks man. I only have the one hex-core SR-2 but I do have a total of three bigadv machines along with a single GPU, two SMP quads, and a handful of classic clients. I had my best day yesterday at 445K when all three bigadvs happened to drop on the same day.
 
Kick ass Tobit...

AMD FTW the box made it to the top 20 on its own!
 
Tobit just showed up on my threat list, but he's 4 years out. :) MIBW should pass me by the end of the year, though.
 
Yeh tobit just showed up on mine too....

That's a first :p
 
Who is this Tobit guy you speak of? I don't see him... :)
 
I get back from a trip to find my ears burning, all this chatter about my farm. :eek:

WOO HOO

Tobit has made it into the Top 10 PPD for the first time evah. :cool:

Now he just needs to figure out how to stay up here. :rolleyes:

Congrats mate, well deserved. If you figure out a permanent method, let me know. My stopgap method has been:

1) add SR2
2) note position on PPD leaderboard, if unacceptable...
3) add another SR2

Rinse and repeat. Simple. :p


Kick ass Tobit...
AMD FTW the box made it to the top 20 on its own!

As befitting the Fastest Rig in the [H]orde™. I wish stats could be broken down by machine - how much fun would that be?

Tobit just showed up on my threat list, but he's 4 years out. :) MIBW should pass me by the end of the year, though.

Passing shouldn't count when the passee is busy doing good work with WGC, I reckon.

That DigitalFX guy is starting to piss me off, though... :)
same here on both points

:D

Starting? I have to work harder then. :D I do try and piss people off in a fair and evenhanded manner, and not single anyone out: Nobody on my threat list. I am on everyone's above me. :p

Now Flecom - if you would be so good as to stay still for the 2.9 years it will take me to catch up :eek:
 
Nice! I've probably dropped out of the top 20 due to the Christmas challenge and some system changes that are underway
Posted via [H] Mobile Device
 
I'm about to get mowed by some dude with three SR-2s, but I should beat him to 25 million. :) I had a bad run of WUs, but I'm back on the P6900 train for now.

Tobit is down to 4.5 months to overtake. Falcon_CMH just showed up in my threat list too, but I should pull ahead after I drop my second bigadv today.

I need to get the 295s on my desktop SR-2 folding while running WCG for the Christmas challenge. First I need to rewire to prevent the circuit breaker from tripping. :eek: :rolleyes: The advantage to dual PSUs is you can plug them into different circuits. I also want to get out the Kill-a-Watt to make sure the load is balanced across the PSUs.
 
@Sazaneyes - now keep in mind I am pretty ignorant about all things electrical (or sparky-juice as I like to call it) but my notes from early in the process when I thought I might need 2 PSUs for an SR2 build was somebody saying that running 2 PSUs off two different circuits = fried mobo. Anyhoo, I am sure you are more on top of things than me, but just in case that is true, I wanted you to have at least one person leap out of the screen in slo-mo screaming NOOOOOOO! :p

Jeez - looked at my overtake (yes you will make it to 25mil before me -esp as I am screwing around with mem settings still) and the next 4 days is:

zero2dash
vaulter98c
Sazaneyes
Xilikon

Why do they all have to be great blokes I won't enjoy mowing? :( Might be time to switch back to EVGA. :eek:
 
@Sazaneyes - now keep in mind I am pretty ignorant about all things electrical (or sparky-juice as I like to call it) but my notes from early in the process when I thought I might need 2 PSUs for an SR2 build was somebody saying that running 2 PSUs off two different circuits = fried mobo. Anyhoo, I am sure you are more on top of things than me, but just in case that is true, I wanted you to have at least one person leap out of the screen in slo-mo screaming NOOOOOOO! :p

Jeez - looked at my overtake (yes you will make it to 25mil before me -esp as I am screwing around with mem settings still) and the next 4 days is:

zero2dash
vaulter98c
Sazaneyes
Xilikon

Why do they all have to be great blokes I won't enjoy mowing? :( Might be time to switch back to EVGA. :eek:

screw that MOW EM!! MOW EM [H]ARD!!!!! this is competition yo! no feeling sorry for your enemy, just crush'em then say your sorry after. then crush'em again!!!!!!!
 
Why do they all have to be great blokes I won't enjoy mowing? :( Might be time to switch back to EVGA. :eek:
Don't worry, you'll get a chance to mow me in a little bit. No doubt the entertainment level will be high when that transpires. ;)
 
Don't worry, you'll get a chance to mow me in a little bit. No doubt the entertainment level will be high when that transpires. ;)

Yes, I am sure hilarity will ensue, as my wife says.:p

A bit? Try the better part of a year, if nothing changes, and I don't get any jobs next year! (in which case I will tighten the belt and not fold as much) You are as safe as it is possible to be on this team. :)

I had meant to ask you what your plans were for moar D etc, or are you waiting to see how the points system gets revised?
 
A bit? Try the better part of a year, if nothing changes, and I don't get any jobs next year! (in which case I will tighten the belt and not fold as much) You are as safe as it is possible to be on this team. :)

I had meant to ask you what your plans were for moar D etc, or are you waiting to see how the points system gets revised?
That's surprising, you're curious when additional D might be headed my way? LOL, at the points revision, it aint gonna happen.

It doesn't matter anyway. As I stated in one or two threads already, I'm not going to be egged on into a viscous folding cycle where increasing discrepancy compels one to purchase more and more hardware just to keep up with the Joneses. I will not be party to an 'elitist' scheme whether it's intentional or not, however noble the cause. I'm of the camp that the goals don't justify the means because principles are paramount and alternatives abound.

With that in mind, I have already made the decision a while ago: barring yet another paradigm shift only this time with greater equity as an outcome, I will terminate my involvement at either the 100M milestone or the advent of warmer weather. Whichever arrives second. Hence your earlier than anticipated overtake.
 
Last edited:
Sad to hear that Apollo. I wish you would stay involved with the team.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device
 
That's surprising, you're curious when additional D might be headed my way? LOL, at the points revision, it aint gonna happen.

It doesn't matter anyway. As I stated in one or two threads already, I'm not going to be egged on into a viscous folding cycle where increasing discrepancy compels one to purchase more and more hardware just to keep up with the Joneses. I will not be party to an 'elitist' scheme whether it's intentional or not, however noble the cause. I'm of the camp that the goals don't justify the means because principles are paramount and alternatives abound.

With that in mind, I have already made the decision a while ago: barring yet another paradigm shift only this time with greater equity as an outcome, I will terminate my involvement at either the 100M milestone or the advent of warmer weather. Whichever arrives second. Hence your earlier than anticipated overtake.

Righto. I was curious not because I wanted you to add moar D for a e-peen tussle, I was just curious as to if you had made up your mind or not - I had seen you state that you were near to moving on.

As someone new to the program, it's a bit sad when someone who has given so much over such a long time is ready to move on and is disillusioned. But hey, there are very few people who have given as much as you have, so of course if you want to move on to other things I totally understand and respect that. Who knows if I will have the same motivations down the road that I do now, realistically I have put a lot of my time into FAH lately and that is not sustainable. :eek:

I hope that no matter what you will continue to hang around here, because I for one have learnt a lot from your posts, and your experiences have been great for helping me get my head around the history of the project. (you mean it wasnt always like this? ;))
 
As someone new to the program, it's a bit sad when someone who has given so much over such a long time is ready to move on and is disillusioned. But hey, there are very few people who have given as much as you have, so of course if you want to move on to other things I totally understand and respect that. Who knows if I will have the same motivations down the road that I do now, realistically I have put a lot of my time into FAH lately and that is not sustainable. :eek:
I'm heartened to see you acknowledge that I've been through a lot with this project. Actually, I'm stunned for someone so new to the project and team to mention this. No one knows what I have gone through, not even close. Whereas quite a few may claim similar extenuating circumstances and experiential conditions, I seriously doubt the majority of these individuals have undergone what I have. I rarely post about these ordeals because I tend towards privacy with my personal affairs. I was forced to stop folding on two prior occasions in the past 10 years, this time it will be by choice out of principle - something I did not expect to occur until this past summer when it appeared more and more that the project was not headed in the right direction in respect to this specific issue, despite clamor to the contrary.

I hope that no matter what you will continue to hang around here, because I for one have learnt a lot from your posts, and your experiences have been great for helping me get my head around the history of the project. (you mean it wasnt always like this? ;))
Thanks, I appreciate the compliment. To answer your last question, I can best reply with this: hitherto, there has not been a mad rush to build $2000-$4000 systems for the sake of maintaining one's position in the top 20 ranking, and forsake other means to accomplish this at the expense of the research. It strains credulity at what I am witnessing unfold before my eyes the last several quarters; it has stepped beyond the borders of sanity.
 
screw that MOW EM!! MOW EM [H]ARD!!!!! this is competition yo! no feeling sorry for your enemy, just crush'em then say your sorry after. then crush'em again!!!!!!!

It's like looking at myself in a mirror! :p

I'm heartened to see you acknowledge that I've been through a lot with this project. Actually, I'm stunned for someone so new to the project and team to mention this. No one knows what I have gone through, not even close. Whereas quite a few may claim similar extenuating circumstances and experiential conditions, I seriously doubt the majority of these individuals have undergone what I have. I rarely post about these ordeals because I tend towards privacy with my personal affairs. I was forced to stop folding on two prior occasions in the past 10 years, this time it will be by choice out of principle - something I did not expect to occur until this past summer when it appeared more and more that the project was not headed in the right direction in respect to this specific issue, despite clamor to the contrary.

Thanks, I appreciate the compliment. To answer your last question, I can best reply with this: hitherto, there has not been a mad rush to build $2000-$4000 systems for the sake of maintaining one's position in the top 20 ranking, and forsake other means to accomplish this at the expense of the research. It strains credulity at what I am witnessing unfold before my eyes the last several quarters; it has stepped beyond the borders of sanity.

Well I am glad to point out the obvious (to me) - you have been a hell of a contributor to [H] and are valued.:cool: I would very much like the DAB process to be something that you can feel heard, and while I am pretty resigned to progress being slow, a ship this big takes some time to steer. I admit to being a bit hot and cold about FAH, depending on how badly I am being treated by the vagaries of the points system and server reliability etc. And seeing easy to fix problems drag on for years is a red rag to my "small business" thinking. If I can feel burnt out and pissed off at times - in only a mere 5 months folding! - I get a sense of the buckets of pain you old timers must have had to put up with.

Yes this has been crazy lately. I joined [H] just as the ramp up and EVGA passing was going on - clearly a mad time where everything not nailed down was tossed into the folding mix. So of course that effects the culture of a team, and I think a lot of us are still in obsessive compulsive Moar D mode. Which is a good thing and a bad thing. I have probably fueled the fire, but I assure you $15k on SR2's would not have been made just for a hobby points race, they are a business tool that happens to have a truly astonishing spare time capacity for FAH.

There are some things going on lately to ones I love that make me feel pretty powerless, and folding is a great way to feel like you are fighting back against the otherwise inevitable. I am sure everyone else has similar stories and motivations. And I am sure this can fuel buying decisions that might not be very balanced to the real needs of families etc.

Folding (points) are not kind to old timers. Moores law and the much discussed incentives to attract new folders mean a decades worth of points can be mowed in months by a newbie. I really hope you know that I think my contribution if/when I should hit 100 million points is but a fraction of the contribution you have made with your 100 million over a decade.

Anyway, getting off topic here, but suffice to say my goal is to make sure any disillusioned old timers of this team realise the respect in which they are held, and to encourage them to stay involved in whatever capacity they can. What makes this team awesome is the collective experience of it's members. Take it from a newbie - what you guys have built here is extraordinary. As a recent member I feel I have to work very hard to live up to the standards set by you guys. (hmmm, what is my username?!) So folding in the top 20 or or not, the team would be vastly the poorer for you moving on.
 
I fully understand what you mean, MIBW, and agree. I did not want to come off on the forum appearing that I have a grudge against the team or any one individual because that's just not the case. Anyone can do what they want with the resources they have at their disposal.

My argument lies squarely with the edicts of PG, their methodologies, and lack of action in several key areas posted about ad nauseam this year, and to no one outside of the organization. I'm past dealing with the DAB to arrive at a workable solution. Someone else will have to fill those shoes if there's sufficient will to do so.

The reason I never replied to your last post in the other thread, I believe it was the one concerning the accidental release of a beta -bigadv WU or possibly elsewhere, was precisely my desiring not to further alienate anyone here, or lurkers who have jumped on the bandwagon, so to speak, from the allure of the bonus system. I had written well over a page intending to reply to you that day explaining in detail my POV but decided to withhold my post, and that's yet another case of stupid me investing time+energy due to F@H and all for naught, because very little that is ever commented upon in these threads makes a definable difference in the end.
 
Last edited:
I just wanted to say one quick thing Apollo. Several of us have dual hex sr2 rigs that cost only $1500.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device
 
We had an awesome 11+ million points day yesterday folks. Let's keep it up!

:cool:
 
We had an awesome 11+ million points day yesterday folks. Let's keep it up!

:cool:
that's really impressive considering a fair amount of PPD is still running WCG right now.
 
I just wanted to say one quick thing Apollo. Several of us have dual hex sr2 rigs that cost only $1500.
I know, because one or two eBay sellers happened to be offering cut rate hex-core processors for a limited time. Unexpected fortunate circumstances shouldn't be considered a norm, it's just well, luck.
 
I know, because one or two eBay sellers happened to be offering cut rate hex-core processors for a limited time. Unexpected fortunate circumstances shouldn't be considered a norm, it's just well, luck.
Yup, if it wasn't for the cheap ES hexes at the time, I probably wouldn't have an SR-2.
 
Yup, if it wasn't for the cheap ES hexes at the time, I probably wouldn't have an SR-2.

Out of curiosity, how much were those L5640 ES chips going for on ebay back in the day?
I missed it myself, but I keep hearing of their awesome price.

/edit $340-$350?
 
Last edited:
I paid 325 for one, 350 for the other

Apollo, Im not gonna say anything cuz nothing I can say would be good enough to describe how we feel about some of our more rooted members like yourself
 
Out of curiosity, how much were those L5640 ES chips going for on ebay back in the day?
I missed it myself, but I keep hearing of their awesome price.

/edit $340-$350?

They started at the BIN price of $499 and no one bought them. The seller then started listing auctions at $399 starting price, I bought one at that price and asked for two more for the same price, and the seller wouldn't go lower than $425. So my first three were $399, $425, and $425. Those were the three highest price ones that anyone around here got. Most went for $349. A few went under that. The BIN was $379 at the end.
 
I just wanted to say one quick thing Apollo. Several of us have dual hex sr2 rigs that cost only $1500.

So you are telling me I could own ~8 SR2s for the same money?! :p It appears I am the only chump to pay triple that - each time. Now I feel as bad as Apollo, but for different reasons ;)

But this raises an interesting point. It might be that there is a mistaken impression that SR2 automatically equals crazy money. But looking at Sazaneyes data of SR2's in [H] it shows:

x5650/x5660/x5680 rigs: 7
L5640/5639 rigs: 17

So ~70% of the rigs are "budget". (I don't know how safe it is to assume what proportion of the L5640s are "cheap/Extra Special" - I would say over 90% based on them being priced higher than the x5650 every time I have checked.)

Now this does not toss out Apollos argument that there has been a monumentally insane amount of Moar D fever around here, but it suggests that the number of folks that create the impression you have to spend elephant bucks can be counted on ~one hand.

Or perhaps one finger. (Sorry bout that.) :eek:
 
Back
Top