14' Core i3/i5 notebooks w/1600x900 screen

rufio

[H]ard|Gawd
I know of the Envy 14 but something just doesn't sit right with me about the screen being a $300 dollar addon now when it was included in the base price at release. Are there any other i3/i5 notebooks with a 1600x900 (or 1680x1050) screen option around $1000?

Not that many around, not even business models if I'm not mistaken. There are some 15-inchers which weigh about a half pound more than the Envy with a full HD (1920 x 1080) screen, such as the Sony EB - an i3, 4Gb, HD5650 + full HD combo ships for $869.99.

Not that many around, not even business models if I'm not mistaken. There are some 15-inchers which weigh about a half pound more than the Envy with a full HD (1920 x 1080) screen, such as the Sony EB - an i3, 4Gb, HD5650 + full HD combo ships for $869.99.

At that price I might be willing to go larger (especially for the resolution). How is Sony's consumer grade build quality these days? I'm coming from a Dell e1505 that, other than the battery and screen hinges has given me very few issues in it's 4+ year life.

At that price I might be willing to go larger (especially for the resolution). How is Sony's consumer grade build quality these days? I'm coming from a Dell e1505 that, other than the battery and screen hinges has given me very few issues in it's 4+ year life.

Someone else will have to pick up that one - Unfortunately you're talking to someone who's never bought anything but the flagships since they came out with the VAIO line in the 90's - and I know that the VAIO bottom-feeders have been built by ODM's for a while, not in Japan. I can't imagine it's all that different to a current consumer Dell, since they're probably built in the same factory...

bump for more possible suggestions as well as details on sony's consumer quality

14' Core i3/i5 notebooks w/1600x900 screen

Whan it's 14 feet long, is it still a notebook? o_O

Last sony I tested felt cheep, I heard creaking and cracking all over it and it felt a bit flimsey (but it was to be repaired so I dont know how much abuse it had been through) on the other paw, considering I have a server that's a Vaio from the 90s and all it needs is a new HD, I'm hessitant NOT to put faith in sony...

Whan it's 14 feet long, is it still a notebook? o_O

Go big or go home? :p

I saw an EB series (VPCEB13FX) in person at costco with different specs and It seemed at least as well built as my current dell. The only issue is it had a textured, braille like touchpad; if they all have this it's a deal breaker.

Hmmm looks like there is a free upgrade to 1920x1080 until October 8th on sonystyle.com that drops the price by $50. They also added a i5 460 to the options for +$80 over the i3 370.

for $899 i could get the following:
Code:
#
VPCEB390X Configure-to-Order
Intel® Core™ i5-460M processor (2.53GHz) with Turbo Boost up to 2.80GHz
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit  (will clean install 7 Professional)
Matte Black
320GB Hard Disk Drive (5400rpm) (will swap in a wd black 7200rpm drive)
4GB (2GBx2) DDR3-SDRAM-1066
15.5" Full HD VAIO Premium Display (1920x1080) (Reg. price $50.00)
ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 5650 GPU (1GB VRAM)
DVD +/- R DL / DVD +/- RW / DVD-RAM Drive
Photoshop/Premier Elements & Acrobat Standard (will sell key's if possible)

Decent deal? Any idea how much of an effect on the battery life the i5 460 is vs the i3 370?

There are also HP Elitebooks starting from about $1300 with an i5, 1600 matte(yay) screen in a 15" form factor. I can definitely vouch for the build quality of them, but I'm not sure if in your budget - I'm guessing it's not.

We have elitebooks at work, and they're nice, but not enough for the 30-50% price premium.

We have elitebooks at work, and they're nice, but not enough for the 30-50% price premium.

Ah. Well, use entry-level hardware at work and see what happens ;) If you want quality / stability, you pay for it.

mini thread resurrection here... I'm also looking for a 14"-ish notebook with a 1600x900 screen... I'll be waiting for sandy bridge to come out, but I'm only really counting on existing notebooks to be refreshed... So any other suggestions?

Just to note, I ended up going with an XPS 15 and 1080P screen.

Yeah, that XPS15 with the 1080P is pretty appealing, expect for 2 things (for me).
1) While that 1080P display is supposed to be amazing, gaming on that @ native resolution is probably going to be a challenge for the laptop hardware.

2) It's brand new right now, so I don't really anticipate it being refreshed with Sandy Bridge

Now if Dell were to refresh the XPS14 with a 1600x900 screen + sandybridge... I'd be interested...

Yeah, that XPS15 with the 1080P is pretty appealing, expect for 2 things (for me).
1) While that 1080P display is supposed to be amazing, gaming on that @ native resolution is probably going to be a challenge for the laptop hardware.

2) It's brand new right now, so I don't really anticipate it being refreshed with Sandy Bridge

Now if Dell were to refresh the XPS14 with a 1600x900 screen + sandybridge... I'd be interested...
Yeah, just a note on your "#1"- I did try playing COD Black Ops at native res and the game was too choppy. I had to drop down to 1024x768 and it plays a lot smoother. The picture is still great at that resolution though.

I have a studio 15" with a 1080p.

I believe it is 1600*950 as the 900p screen is actually 1440*900

mini thread resurrection here... I'm also looking for a 14"-ish notebook with a 1600x900 screen... I'll be waiting for sandy bridge to come out, but I'm only really counting on existing notebooks to be refreshed... So any other suggestions?
The options on 14'' are fairly limited in terms of resolution, if you go into buisness class you might be able to swing a 1440x900, but on consumer lvl there was only the envy14 with raidance 1600x900, which was discontinued, you might still be able to get one if you were willing to go with a refurb.

Most of the consumer grade notebooks on 14'' will come with 1366x768, only buisness class lenovos, dells and hp offer higher screens in 14''. Another option is Sony Vaio Z, just its expensive, but its a very unique laptop.

I know this is an old thread, but the 14" Thinkpad T420S has a 1600x900 screen. It looks excellent, and we've now purchased two for my work. It has USB 3.0 as well.

I like it because it looks all business, but this could be a detriment to people who like "prettier" laptops.

I know this is an old thread, but the 14" Thinkpad T420S has a 1600x900 screen. It looks excellent, and we've now purchased two for my work. It has USB 3.0 as well.

I like it because it looks all business, but this could be a detriment to people who like "prettier" laptops.

Thinkpad looks, IMO, will NEVER go out of style. It's timeless. Not flashy and cheesy - those designs are fads that will always change with time.

Off the top of my head, Thinkpad T420, Dell Latitude E6420, HP 8460p.

I also totally agree with what the above poster said. It's classy and timeless like a business suit, though the Thinkpad's looks are highly subjective. I also love the look of the Thinkcentres. Looks kind of Darth Vader/Galactic Empire-esque. Sharp corners, matte black. Looks like something they'd have around in the Death Star.

Back