1366 x58 Xeon Enthusiast overclocks club

Hey guys, sorry to be a bother, I spotted this EVGA X58 SLI3 motherboard for 90€ total (including shipping) in my country, should I go for it?

Currently running Bios 1204 and still nothing, still continues to ignore voltage changes.

CyVd1cI.jpg

Hey guys, sorry to be a bother, I spotted this EVGA X58 SLI3 motherboard for 90€ total (including shipping) in my country, should I go for it?

Currently running Bios 1204 and still nothing, still continues to ignore voltage changes.

CyVd1cI.jpg

you need to be 100% sure and research if that board is compatible with Xeon Hexs....I don't know off the top of my head if that one is....but my advice is check before buying

CyVd1cI.jpg

I have an SLI3, though I believe it's a newer model (I have USB 3.0, and SATA 6). Works fine. Boots funny occasionally with my R9 290, but that's it.

I have an SLI3, though I believe it's a newer model (I have USB 3.0, and SATA 6). Works fine. Boots funny occasionally with my R9 290, but that's it.

Yes this one does have those too, the Sata 6 and USB 3.

It's a shame my Sabertooth is busted, that is a really good board ._.

If it's the CPU that isn't accepting voltage changes I'm going to be very upset, I must say.

Oh and that's fine, I don't use AMD GPUs if that's the problem with them.

I ran an evga SLI3 with a hex xeon without any issues. It should work fine.

Thanks! I'm picking it up. I hope I don't get scammed because I'll be paying for the package before opening it and that's kinda sketchy but... For 90€ is not too bad, Cheapest board I can find on ebay is going for 150 and it's a P6T SE.

What is the best processor that will work with an Asus P6T Deluxe? Currently running an i7 920 as seen in signature.

What is the best processor that will work with an Asus P6T Deluxe? Currently running an i7 920 as seen in signature.

With the latest BIOS your board can run any 32nm 6 core Westmere-EP Xeon processor, meaning, all X5600 series W3600 series processors are supported. The best "bang-for-buck" Xeon today is probably an X5675 3.06GHz, which can be had for around $100. The fastest processors out of the box would be Core i7 990X, Xeon X5690 and Xeon W3690 (all being 3.46GHz parts), however, their clock advantage can be easily "rectified" with some overclocking. Pretty much all X5670 2.93GHz and X5675 3.06GHz CPUs I've seen go all the way up to 4.2GHz+ without too much hassle.

Last edited:
With the latest BIOS your board can run any 32nm 6 core Westmere-EP Xeon processor, meaning, all X5600 series W3600 series processors are supported. The best "bang-for-buck" Xeon today is probably an X5675 3.06GHz, which can be had for around $100. The fastest processors out of the box would be Core i7 990X, Xeon X5690 and Xeon W3690 (all being 3.46GHz parts), however, their clock advantage can be easily "rectified" with some overclocking. Pretty much all X5670 2.93GHz and X5675 3.06GHz CPUs I've seen go all the way up to 4.2GHz+ without too much hassle.

Just bought a X5675 to place in my old Gigabyte X58-UD3R V2. 24GB RAM. nVidia 970. And SSD and a HDD. 2 case fans and an Arctic Freezer Pro v2 on the 5675. It's been running for perhaps 4 hours now, total.

I can set BCLK to 200, CPU voltage to 1.25 or so, and I can reliably get and stick to 4.0 ghz (and 3.8 at slightly lower voltage). When I try 4.2, the machine BSODs all over the place, and I'm not thrilled about increasing voltage even more.

@4.0/1.25v, CPU temp is 60s under load (per HWMonitor) and each of the cores can go all the way up to 88! That's hot! (Right?) My load test is H265 encoding for 10 minutes or so, which will take the CPU to 100% and keep it there the entire time, but even in Windows 10's 'power save' or 'balanced' power modes, it sticks to 4.0 and never drops or goes lower (or higher.)

I noticed that when I switch from stock 3.06 to OC'd 4.0, I lose all turbo functionality (it's still enabled in BIOS...) -- the multiplier of 20 applies to both turbo and non-turbo settings. How does one set turbo settings? All EIST/Speedstep/etc. settings are enabled - I haven't changed at all from stock.

Any thoughts on what to do? Be happy with it? :)

Last edited:
Yes this one does have those too, the Sata 6 and USB 3.

It's a shame my Sabertooth is busted, that is a really good board ._.

If it's the CPU that isn't accepting voltage changes I'm going to be very upset, I must say.

Oh and that's fine, I don't use AMD GPUs if that's the problem with them.

Sabertooth could still be under warranty. It falls under the "Military Grade" category that Asus has and normally carries a 5 year warranty. I literally RMA'd one less than 6 months ago and I'm typin this message from it now.

PS - I'm one of the lucky ones who has never had a problem RMA'ing with Asus and I've RMA'd at least 10 things over the years (maybe that part is not so good :p ).

Just bought a X5675 to place in my old Gigabyte X58-UD3R V2. 24GB RAM. nVidia 970. And SSD and a HDD. 2 case fans and an Arctic Freezer Pro v2 on the 5675. It's been running for perhaps 4 hours now, total.

I can set BCLK to 200, CPU voltage to 1.25 or so, and I can reliably get and stick to 4.0 ghz (and 3.8 at slightly lower voltage). When I try 4.2, the machine BSODs all over the place, and I'm not thrilled about increasing voltage even more.

@4.0/1.25v, CPU temp is 60s under load (per HWMonitor) and each of the cores can go all the way up to 88! That's hot! (Right?) My load test is H265 encoding for 10 minutes or so, which will take the CPU to 100% and keep it there the entire time, but even in Windows 10's 'power save' or 'balanced' power modes, it sticks to 4.0 and never drops or goes lower (or higher.)

I noticed that when I switch from stock 3.06 to OC'd 4.0, I lose all turbo functionality (it's still enabled in BIOS...) -- the multiplier of 20 applies to both turbo and non-turbo settings. How does one set turbo settings? All EIST/Speedstep/etc. settings are enabled - I haven't changed at all from stock.

Any thoughts on what to do? Be happy with it? :)

My X5670 needs 1.29375v in BIOS to be rock-solid stable at 4.2GHz. You can push the vcore all the way 1.35v without degrading your Xeon as long as the temps are in check. That being said, 88 degrees is too high, my chip hits 80 degrees only if I do stability testing with LinX, otherwise it peaks at low 60s under maximum load and that's with a Cooler Master 212+ Plus air cooler. My ambient temperature is about 20C/68F.

As for your motherboard, unfortunately I can't speak for the X58-based Gigabyte as I've never really owned one. Are you on the latest BIOS? Are you sure speedstep and turbo boost-related settings do not get overridden once you apply overclocking?

My X5670 needs 1.29375v in BIOS to be rock-solid stable at 4.2GHz. You can push the vcore all the way 1.35v without degrading your Xeon as long as the temps are in check. That being said, 88 degrees is too high, my chip hits 80 degrees only if I do stability testing with LinX, otherwise it peaks at low 60s under maximum load and that's with a Cooler Master 212+ Plus air cooler. My ambient temperature is about 20C/68F.

As for your motherboard, unfortunately I can't speak for the X58-based Gigabyte as I've never really owned one. Are you on the latest BIOS? Are you sure speedstep and turbo boost-related settings do not get overridden once you apply overclocking?

I've now reconfigured slightly - now I required 1.25v @ 4.0, same 200 bclk, everything else stock, now getting to about 86d F on one or two of the six cores after 3-4 minutes of h265 encoding. If I lower voltage, I'll get BSODs. Due to the heat already, I don't want to go to 4.2 until I can cool the temps at 4.0.

How are you measuring 60d F and 80d F? I'm using HWMonitor (http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html) -- if you try that, what's the "CPU" temp you get, and what are the temps you get for each of the cores, after 2-5 mins of heavy CPU activity?

My ambient is around 73d F.

I'm on the latest BIOS. I am guessing the speedstep / turbo boost are overridden when overclocking. :(

i figure if you had your hardware listed in a sig like most of us it be easier to help...your temps seem way to high as far as i can tell....im using 1.35 vcore at 4200 and dont get that high even with prime or intel burn test...if i were riping a blueray this time a year i might get 70c....as far as what software we all use different ones and i have never seen a huge difference form one to the other...but i use HWiNFO32/64 since i use the overlay with riva tuner display server in my games.
Now if you post some pics of your bios screens we might could make better guess as to why your not getting the proper multi......cause i easily get 4200 at 191blck....so i must be getting 22 here...and i wasn't aware of any boards that couldn't get the same or better mult...i know some boards get even higher multi with the same cpu lol

Is it preferred to go with a higher multiplier and lower blck or higher blck and lower multiplier?

I did some quick overclocking, before I was at 23x175 rock solid and now that I tried 20x200 with more voltage, I can only do about 20mins of prime95 before it crashes.

Asus R3E
X5660
12GB Dominator GT

Last edited:
Is it preferred to go with a higher multiplier and lower blck or higher blck and lower multiplier?

I did some quick overclking but before I was at 23x175 rock solid and now I tried 20x200 with more voltage and I can only do about 20mins of prime95 before it crashes.

Asus R3E
X5660
12GB Dominator GT

I would say definitely higher mult. Some motherboards won't like 200 bclk no matter what you do.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhh LOL thats what I get for not paying attention or more like for reading the forum when I should be working :D

post some pictures of that....cause thats impressive!!:) What is your total investment as well? I bet that thing converts videos pretty fast:)

Nothing fancy just a Lenovo D20, 48GB of RAM, 8GB R9 290X. Total invested outside of my 4K monitor is about $1,250 USD. Pretty good bang for the buck I believe. If you keep an eye on eBay these pop up at good prices fairly often. No overclocking support but with a 3.73 turbo speed and 24 threads I don't need anything faster :D.

UmvwNEN.jpg

5xFT8OB.jpg

Why does your CPUZ only report 24giga cookies? Is it dropping out? Edit: Ohh it must be per processor. I don't know how any of this dual CPU stuff works. :eek:

I'm jealous of your graphics card. My old ATI 4870 just doesn't cut it, and provides no acceleration in Adobe Premiere. My Xeon really helped in Premier, but nothing like what a good GPU would do. I want to make more videos, but the though of having to wait hours and hours for a render puts me off.

Why does your CPUZ only report 24giga cookies? Is it dropping out? Edit: Ohh it must be per processor. I don't know how any of this dual CPU stuff works. :eek:

I'm jealous of your graphics card. My old ATI 4870 just doesn't cut it, and provides no acceleration in Adobe Premiere. My Xeon really helped in Premier, but nothing like what a good GPU would do. I want to make more videos, but the though of having to wait hours and hours for a render puts me off.

That screenshot was actually taken when I only had 24GB, I upgraded to 48GB recently. And yeah I love my 290X. It's the 8GB version with a mild overclock, plenty of horsepower for me.

Well, nothing great like dual CPUs here but I got motivated to push the little guy again just enough to break 1000 in Cinebench...that is my "pride" goal. :D

I am curious why if my CPU is running ~ 4.45 does it show like that in Cinebench?

since we are sharing....

my T7500 did 819 in cinebench. Single X5690, 24GB, 240GB SSD/64GB SSD, 4x 2TB RAID 5, 9800GT (soon to be 560Ti). Total investment in tower: $635

20151215_110928_zpsxu8aivpx.jpg

20151215_111001_zpsosl4aibj.jpg

These older X5690 servers are great bang for the bucks!

I couldn't agree more, and they are built TOUGH! I'm happy with the single cpu, but when it gets long in the tooth, I'll be happy to add another in a year or two to keep it going strong.

you don't by chance ever rip blueray movies for archiving to hard disks? or to put in another way? what are some real world tasks that take full advantage of the 24 threads? just curious what your real world improvements were after going dual socket

you don't by chance ever rip blueray movies for archiving to hard disks? or to put in another way? what are some real world tasks that take full advantage of the 24 threads? just curious what your real world improvements were after going dual socket

The main reason I have this rig was just for the hell of it, its over kill for 98% of the things I would use it for. But there are games and software that do take advantage of all the threads and that is also the way everything is going. So in a way this was also to make sure the computer ages better as newer software comes out.

Encoding video!

Here's a little update on the limitations of ram speed and some CPU's.

I noticed some time ago that my ram was limited to 10x the speed of my base clock when I upgraded to my x5670, this was also the case on every board that I tried with these CPU's. I have 2400mhz ram so I am limited to about 2000mhz for 24/7 use without upping the QPI voltage too much.

I got a w3670 a while back and popped in into a P6T that I had built up recently and it has some 2133mhz ram, these CPU's don't have the same limitation I was running 24x167 and the ram at 2009mhz without issue.

Just to be sure I popped a x5670 in, and yep the same issue, no post past 1674mhz.
The downside is that the w3670 does get quite a bit warmer with the Hyper 212 Evo I'm using that that machine. Ultimately I ended up with the x5670 as the w3670 was getting a bit too hot.

167x24 1.275v Vcore, 1.25v QPI, 1674mhz ram, Prime95 Blend for 1 hour
w3670 74c Max
x5670 61c Max

Thought I'd finally share my results as this thread helped me get there!!

Great upgrade for $80 from my i7 920.

Stable af 4.2ghz Xeon 5670.

Thanks!!

1_365v_Stable_IBT_Pass_High.jpg

02_XEON_5670_4_2_1_3625v_Cinebench_R15.jpg

03_XEON_5670_4_2_Firestrike_VALID.jpg

Comparison_Cinebench.jpg

Picked up a Asus Z8NA-D6 for $125 to pair with the matched x5670's that I picked up last year.

Should be interesting. :cool:

Edit: It looks like SetFSB does work on this board. The increases seem to be hardly worth it though, someone went from 2.4ghz to 2.448ghz. :) I'll give it a try once it's up and running though

Last edited:
Back