$1160 4080 vs $910 7900 XTX???

David-Duc

[H]ard|Gawd
I reserved both from MC (Gigabyte 4080 Gaming OC and AsRock 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming). Wonder if anyone mind chiming in on which one I should go with? I do enjoy better RT performance but it is not a must have for me. Have a 4k 144hz monitor that is both G-Sync and FreeSync compatible and driving by a 3080 12GB right now.

Seems like they pretty much have the same price/performance ratio... pay a little bit more and get a little bit more performance with the 4080?

/Update: $899 RX 7900 XTX is a no brainer for me. Link works as of Jun 21 2023 1 PM CST (thanks to TrunksZero)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BR6HZZ6Z/

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'd go for the 4080 there. Not just for RT performance, but also dlss2 and frame gen, plus if you ever use vr the geforce is far better in it. Sometimes it's worth the extra cash to just get the best you can afford.

Reactions: pavel
like this
They are line ball. The 7900 xtx is marginally faster at 4K but doesnt have all the Nvidia features and is slower at raytracing.

Don’t get the gigabyte card, they are having issues at the moment with qc

Is RT worth that kind of money for you? It's really that simple. Only you know if your are going to use the nvidia features and weigh the added cost to benefit.

Depends on how long you're keeping it, I'd rather have the extra vram for more than 3 years at 4k. You might not run into problems but you could. I dont use FSR at 4k on my 7900 XTX, just run native. FSR Quality going up to 4k is pretty close to DLSS Quality 4k, it's not as good but it's close. Depends on how much you care about DLSS vs FSR, Frame gen, and 16 gb vs 24 gb of ram. I'm happy with the XTX but I did also try to get a 4080 first. At the very least check out the FS forum and see if you can get a 4080 for less. Someone sold a really nice one for around 900 recently. Just buy one with a transferable warranty. VR seems fine on this card, but I don't see much of an appreciable difference between it and my 6800 XT in VR which is bad, its' a known issue for AMD for months but they haven't fixed VR performance. It's much, much faster at 4k though it's a night and day difference.

Last edited:
They are line ball. The 7900 xtx is marginally faster at 4K but doesnt have all the Nvidia features and is slower at raytracing.

Don’t get the gigabyte card, they are having issues at the moment with qc
Perhaps, it's the cheapest 4080 there (in stock) or open box? I think the PNY cards are the cheapest at MCs? I suggest getting that one instead of the Gigabyte OC card.

Same. I think the 4080 is a more useful card - it's good at *everything* - gaming, productivity, Compute, ML - whatever. The 79000 XTX won't be as good - it's good at gaming, better at some games and yes, it's cheaper - so other than price, the 7900 XTX doesn't compare well, imho - the 4080 is also a more efficient card. There's some cable connection issues with the 40 series but the 7900 series had it's own problems.
The 7900 XTX has more VRAM - but, that would only be an issue or advantage if you absolutely need that much - 20 vs 16gb? The 16gb should be sufficient but shame on Nvidia - they should have more vram on their 40 series cards and not just the top flagship.
Okay, that concludes my analysis and comparison. :)

I would not buy the Asrock 7900XTX Phantom. When I returned mine to MC, they said it was the most returned card by far and I'm pretty sure my local store stopped carrying it.

$250 difference. If money was no issue you would've bought 4090 and called it a day instead of considering 4080 vs 7900 XTX, but I'm pretty sure you'd be happy with a 7900 XTX and get to keep $250+.
I have one, even though in AMD forum I made a thread that I can't recommend AMD GPUs over Nvidia. At the same price, or perhaps $100 difference, 4080 all the way.

I would not buy the Asrock 7900XTX Phantom. When I returned mine to MC, they said it was the most returned card by far and I'm pretty sure my local store stopped carrying it.
Really? Check newegg reviews - there were a lot of complaints about heat/temps of hot spot/junction temps - some ppl theorized that the thermal pads are insufficient or poorly applied thermal paste - at any rate, there's a lot of complaints regarding temps. If a store is reporting way too many returns and contacting Asrock - and telling them to stop sending cards or cease the next shipment - that's pretty huge.

Powercolor issued a statement of overheating Red Devil 7900 XTX cards - and assuring customers they will be looked after. Yet, if you check the Powercolor reddit sub - there's a lot of posts of ppl claiming they are having problems with the RMA process and Powercolor not providing satisfactory CS. If the QC is bad with these - which is what it looks like - since, some buyers claim their card is working fine - then I would be wary of these brand models. I would buy locally or from Amazon - which has a decent return policy. I'd test with gaming as soon as I buy the card or run those graphics stress tests - Uningine and Furmark? Make sure the case has good cooling/fans and air flow - and conduct these tests for the video card before the 15/30 day return window - whichever it is. Good advice?
Also, I'd avoid this Asrock model and Gigabyte cards (cracks on the board; uncooperative RMA interaction/outright denials).

Really? Check newegg reviews - there were a lot of complaints about heat/temps of hot spot/junction temps - some ppl theorized that the thermal pads are insufficient or poorly applied thermal paste - at any rate, there's a lot of complaints regarding temps. If a store is reporting way too many returns and contacting Asrock - and telling them to stop sending cards or cease the next shipment - that's pretty huge.

The one I had would pull over 600w according to both hwinfo and hwmonitor. Temps were high but nothing out of the acceptable range. I just couldn't figure out the power draw issues with it and didn't want to risk keeping it.

pay a little bit more and get a little bit more performance with the 4080?
Really depends on the game here, you are not necessarily getting a bit more performance with the 4080:
relative-performance_3840-2160.png

It could very well depend on what you play, there is not that many game you can lock at ultra details 144hz at native 4k (and for new game could be true even for 90hz more and more), so DLSS 2 vs FSR (which you can try on your 3080 and see how much you prefer one or the other if there a difference to your eye and how major it is) could be a factor and if you love RTX on obviously can be a factor.

But with RTX off, it is not really similar performance by dollars I do not think here (outside some specially low price tag on the 4080 and high on the xtx at your location).

If you want DLSS2 (Frame gen is a gimmick imo) and better Ray Tracing support Then go with the 4080. If you want more memory and save $200+ and dont care about DLSS2. Then get a 7900xtx.

The 7900XTX is faster in rasterized workloads. The 4080 is better in RT workloads and has better features. I would personally spend the extra $200 and get the RTX4080.

I would never buy another AMD card. It's been years and many years. I bought Nvidia RTX 4080 Founders edition. Am happy with it. I tried to get the RTX 4090 at launch but that was a joke. Tried to find one for months. I settled on the RTX 4080 and it works great and no problems. Good Luck on you search.

Been lovin my Powercolor Red Devil RX 7900 XTX. If you don't care about RT as much, and it's by no mean bad anyway, then go with the 7900 XTX. Give it a shot and see what you think.

Used too? You mean the bother of going to a different web site to DL the driver package?

Idk I just know plenty of people who won't bother to switch for that reason alone so maybe using a brand they are already used to must mean something ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It is not like it is particularly hard to use a GPU (when it is only for gaming), if they were using CUDA, Broadcast or something a lot it would have been mentioned

David-Duc

Ok it’s Saturday now. Which one did you go with or still haven’t decided?

I’ve been completely satisfied with AMD 6000s and my one 7000 card but don’t really need any nvidia exclusive features. Just media consumption and gaming here.

Having owned a 7900 XTX and currently a 4090, I'd absolutely get the 7900 XTX for $910 over a $1160 4080. Even with a 4090, I still find RT to be trash on most games that offer it and you pointed out that it is not a big deal with you. Unless Nvidia has some feature that you absolutely MUST have, the only Nvidia card I'd spend $$ on is the 4090. Otherwise 7900XTX over the 4080, 7900 XT over the 4070ti, perhaps the 4070 over the 6900XT for 1440p gaming (although limited 12GB VRAM on the 4070 makes me sad, but great power efficiency).

7900 xtx all the way, The Rt performance is not quite there but the raster performance is there.... If you can live without DLSS and frame generation, and have no need other than gaming performance you will be happy. I have been an Nvidia user since the 3DFX Voodoo 5500 days, the recent switch as a first timer to AMD have been based on cost.

VR still broken for 7900 series cards. from latest driver notes: "Certain virtual reality games or applications may encounter suboptimal performance or occasional stuttering on Radeon™ RX 7000 series GPUs."

Much of the VR is broken on 7000 series cards chatter revolves around HMD software incompatibility with the new architecture of 7000 series gpus. Many of of these software bugs have been squashed but a few remain unresolved currently and will be rectified in time. Just installed the updated Pimax client software this morning that fixed an unresolved tracking issue for my 5 K super and it works flawlessly now. BTW this bug also affected the 4080 and 4090 as well on several types and makes of HMD's. Just another case of blame AMD first getting overblown by naysayers when it had nothing to do with Adrenalin software at all.

7900 XTX for long term usage, 4080 for a shorter term. With a 4080 having only one HDMI 2.1 port and DP 1.4. I found too limiting. Having ability to drive two high bitrate monitors, future VR/AT headsets (that is if AMD can fix their subpar performance in VR), makes the 4080 a no go.

For a 1 to 2 year card I would have gone with the 4080. Really for Nvidia lineup, the best deal is the 4090. Except I had the same issue with the display outputs. Now a ASUS 4090 Tuff with 2 HDMI 2.1 ports would be a good compromised.

My recommendation is 7900XTX or the 4090, not 4080.

Much of the VR is broken on 7000 series cards chatter revolves around HMD software incompatibility with the new architecture of 7000 series gpus. Many of of these software bugs have been squashed but a few remain unresolved currently and will be rectified in time. Just installed the updated Pimax client software this morning that fixed an unresolved tracking issue for my 5 K super and it works flawlessly now. BTW this bug also affected the 4080 and 4090 as well on several types and makes of HMD's. Just another case of blame AMD first getting overblown by naysayers when it had nothing to do with Adrenalin software at all.

Sorry, you are comparing/confusing two different things. One is a problem that some headsets have with the latest graphic cards, the other is the performance of 7000 cards in VR. Those are two separate issues. The second problem is entirely AMD's problem. Babeltech did a review across a range of games and found the VR performance of the 7000 cards to be poor worse than RDNA 2 cards in some games. Suboptimal VR performance is mentioned in the release notes of every driver that AMD has released for the 7000 cards.

I Hope it is a problem with the Adrenalin software, because if it's not a problem with the software, that means it's a problem with the hardware.

Much typically means some but not all, in case I was misunderstood. I'm quite aware as stated of some performance issues. Have you any experience with the software or VR performance issues or are you just regurgitating internet chatter. My 7900XTX crushes the performance of my older 6900XT in VR since I cleaned my windows registry of outdated entries from my headset software which was causing serious stutter and crashing of the vid drivers.

if you don't care about RT then sure. I am kinda in the same boat when it comes to RT. I have a 4090 but I have a reference 7900xtx in a system, just love the simplicity on it. Its 4080+ in raster and in some games matches the 4090. I honestly haven't been able to tell difference between fsr2 quality vs dlss2 quality, but expert says dlss2 is little better so it probably is but not that I can see the difference.

Not sure paying $250 more is just a little more. Also not sure if 4080 is more performance either. on average 7900xtx is going to be 4080+ and cheaper. At that price I would go 7900xtx.

7900 XTX for long term usage, 4080 for a shorter term. With a 4080 having only one HDMI 2.1 port and DP 1.4. I found too limiting. Having ability to drive two high bitrate monitors, future VR/AT headsets (that is if AMD can fix their subpar performance in VR), makes the 4080 a no go.
Some have 2 hdmi 2.1, asus TUF for example:
https://www.asus.com/motherboards-c.../tuf-gaming/tuf-rtx4080-o16g-gaming/techspec/

Yes x 2 (Native HDMI 2.1a)
Yes x 3 (Native DisplayPort 1.4a)
HDCP Support Yes (2.3)

Back