10gbe switch

Without any more information its difficult to guide you more :)

Juniper 10GB

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Do you have a preferred 10GbE tech? If this is for a small home 10GbE setup, I recommend CX4 and a good switch for around $200 used is the Woven LB4 which has 48x1Gbps + 4x10GbE CX4. I have one to sell, also, since I downsized to an apartment and no longer have a use for 10GbE. It's loud, though I've added a heatsink and done fan mods to mine so it's not ridiculously loud, just.. regular loud. For NICs, you can get Intel NE020s (no Solaris support so be careful if this is for an OpenSolaris-based ZFS server) or Myricom CX4 NICs for $50-100/ea. I don't have any of those to sell. All of that stuff is typically easy to find on Ebay though. The downsides of CX4 are that cables must be bought pre-made, have larger connectors, and short maximum lengths, making it a pain to run through walls. Also, CX4 equipment will be discontinued before 10Gbase-T, but that doesn't mean you won't be able to use it for quite a while.

Shoot me a PM if my switch interests you. Haven't gotten to making a FS thread for it (and a few other things) yet. Was going to put it back into use after the heatsink/fan mod, but it's still too loud to put in my living room or bedroom (though with the mods it's almost quiet enough for me). Like every 10GbE switch I'm aware of, it would be best placed in a room that is out of the way.

If this is for enterprise use, disregard everything I just said.

Cheapest full blown 10G switch is netgear's XS708E-100NES

The next runner up is significantly better, by a landslide, and costs 6 times more: the Dell 8100 series switches.

Beyond that, you get into huge money.

We were saturating multiple 6Gb Lags along with 4Gb labs and running our Alcatel stack at 80% load nonstop, we purchased an Dell 8132 as a core switch pulled all the lags off the Alcatel stack and plugged the 8131 into the Alcatel stack via a 10G uplink with 2GB Lag backup.

Now the Alcatel stack of 5 switches has a 36% avg load and the Dell 8132 give a 10Gb link to each distribution switch on each of our 6 data racks. Avg load on the Dell switch is around 20% transfers are not significantly bottlenecked. The Dell switch is reasonably quiet, unlike the HP offering and less expensive than the equivalent Cisco, Juniper, or HP switches.

HP's 10G switches have no fan speed control and sounds like a freight train is running in the room.

In fact their 10G switches are the loudest on the market. The price is not bad, but if any humans have to exist near where the switch is placed....

Later,

M

From everything I'm reading it's best to wait on 10gig ethernet right now, unless you are in an enterprise setting and need it.

10GBaseT is the future for small deployments and will eventually kill CX4, and make SFP+ fiber irrelevant for all but long distance deployments.

Problem is we're not there yet. ProSumer 10gig ethernet is taking MUCH longer to roll out into the mainstream than gigabit ethernet did for some reason (presumably because so many people want everything wireless these days) so switches and NIC's are still hopelessly expensive.

Unless you absolutely need 10gig speeds on a single connection I would instead pick up a decent managed sgigabit switch and do some link aggregation to help you up your overall throughput rates in the meantime, and then switch to 10gig once 10GbaseT is more established and lots of switches and NIC's are available at more reasonable prices.

Once a decent 24 port managed layer 2 10GBase-T switch can be had for ~$350 that's when I'll go 10gig, until then, I'm holding off.

And once the switches come down, the NICs ought to become affordable as well. Even cheap 10GBase-T cards are $600+

As always the answer is depends. If you need this for Enterprise DC, then you need something like Cisco Nexus5k or maybe Cisco 4500X.

If you need for home usage, then look for Netgear, but do not expect very good performance.

I just snagged two Intel x540-T1 cards for a total of $500 on ebay! 10G Copper here I come!

Sorry to bump an old thread but i'm also looking for a 10G switch, fiber is preferable to copper (i'm considering wiring my house with fiber to help future proof it as much as possible). This will be for home use and I only need a few ports, noise is by far the biggest concern. It needs to be nearly silent. Does such a thing exist yet?

Back