1060 3GB vs 6GB for 1080p gaming

SoulHunter

Limp Gawd
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone had experience with these two video cards about how much memory is actually needed for 1080p gaming. around a 50$ difference in between the 3 GB and the 6 GB in Canada. Will I run into any issues with 3 GB?
Any input would be appreciated.
Thank you,

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone had experience with these two video cards about how much memory is actually needed for 1080p gaming. around a 50$ difference in between the 3 GB and the 6 GB in Canada. Will I run into any issues with 3 GB?
Any input would be appreciated.
Thank you,

Yes, you will run into issues with 3GB. However you can always lower settings to compensate.

Personally I wouldn't risk it and go for the 6GB version. You get more performance as well.

Im pretty sure the 3GB vram IS an issue on "certain" games even on my ancient card......If you dont mind tweaking the settings im sure the 3gb would not matter 99% of the time.....For me i would pay the extra

I would go 6GB. Its not just more VRAM that you will end up needed. Its also faster.

Thanks for the replies, ya I think I'll go for the 6GB, if games now are starting to be an issue then tomorrows are going to be even worst.
Are the half length cards any good? Does anyone know if you lose performance from going to them?

Thanks for the replies, ya I think I'll go for the 6GB, if games now are starting to be an issue then tomorrows are going to be even worst.
Are the half length cards any good? Does anyone know if you lose performance from going to them?

They are precisely like the others. The EVGA one looks really good. The SC model of those small got some even better cooler than the regular small one.

ever see the movie "Misery" and that scene in were crazy lady hobbles the guy's ankles?! that's what nv did to the 1060 3GB. 3GB would be enough for 1080p minus the highest textures but the performance loss on the 3Gb version is not worth it. go 6GB!! card size does not matter they all are the same under the hood.

I'd definitely go with the 6GB version if you can swing the price difference. If you want to run games on ultra graphic settings, the extra VRAM is definitely worth while.

I recomend the 1060 6gb, it's a killer card. To be honest I have the same experience playing many of the games I do on my 1060 6gb as I do with my 1080. I kinda regret the 3x price I paid for the 1080 sometimes.

Personally I feel anything more than 4GB VRAM @ 1080p is something of overkill but If you play a heavily modded game like Skyrim or FO4 then the 6GB would be more helpful. Most games are fine with 4GB VRAM @ 1080p. Its a personal decision though.

Look at the specs more closely There is more than just vram differences between 3 and 6gb. Really sad they labeled both of them 1060 model. One should have been labeled 1065 or something

Look at the specs more closely There is more than just vram differences between 3 and 6gb. Really sad they labeled both of them 1060 model. One should have been labeled 1065 or something

1060ti? :)

I fully agree.

What do you all think of the value of the 3GB 1060 vs the 1050ti?

Saw a chart the other day (no, I don't have link) that showed like 7 different games and they all ranged in 5.2 to 5.8 gigs of RAM used no matter what the card was... 1060, 1080, 480.

Get the 6 gigger.

1060 3Gb will still dance circles around the 1050ti.

There's a big gap in performance between the GTX 1050 Ti and the 1060 3GB, which is why the current recommendation in that price bracket is for a discounted RX 470/480 (with the recent Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals).

Back