$1000 Gaming Build

lastcraft

n00b
Joined
Apr 19, 2008
Messages
14
I'm buying a new gaming PC because my MacBook Pro's Radeon X1600 just isn't cutting it anymore. This machine is for gaming only. I mostly play TF2 right now, but I'm interested in playing CoD4, Starcraft 2, and other games in the future. I want something that will last me at least a couple years.

I do plan to overclock. This is what I came up with:

CPU: Q6600 - $180
GPU: EVGA 8800GTS - $240 ($30 rebate)
Mobo: DFI LanParty P35 Dark - $140
Cooling: Xigmatek S1283 Rifle - $37
Case and PSU: Antec Sonota III w/ EarthWatts 500W PSU - $100
RAM: A-DATA DDR2-800 4GB kit - $76
HD: Seagate Barracuda 7200 250GB - $65
Drive: Samsung 20X DVDRW - $25
Fans: Yate Loon 120mm x 2 - $10
OS: Vista 64 Home Professional - $110

Total: $983 ($953 after rebate) before shipping and tax.

What do you think?
 
Some of your prices are off. I don't know if it's because you added shipping in some costs, and omitted them in others, but they're somewhat off.

The build as a whole looks fine, but I do have a couple of nitpicks....

May I ask why you're going with an IDE DVD burner? You could buy the SH-S203B SATA drive for less, or go for the SH-S203N (with LightScribe) for around the same cost. (Both drives that I mentioned have free shipping.)

For only $5 more, you could buy the Samsung SpinPoint T 320GB HDD, which runs a bit quieter than other hard drives. Or, you could go for the WD3200AAKS 320GB HDD, which (if you get lucky and obtain one using a single 320GB platter) could run at near Raptor speeds (but right now, it's a crapshoot between it and the two-platter version of the drive).

But really, your build, as a whole, looks fine.
 
Thanks for the input. 500GB would be redundant for me but an additional 70GB for $5 is a good deal. The IDE drive was just the first thing that came up on NewEgg. Here is a slightly revised version:

CPU: Q6600 - $180
GPU: EVGA 8800GTS - $240 ($30 rebate)
Mobo: DFI LanParty P35 Dark - $140
Cooling: Xigmatek S1283 Rifle - $37
Case and PSU: Antec Sonota III w/ EarthWatts 500W PSU - $100
RAM: A-DATA DDR2-800 4GB kit - $76
HD: Samsung SpinPoint T 320GB - $70
Drive: Samsung DVDRW SATA - $27
Fans: Yate Loon 120mm x 2 - $7
OS: Vista 64 Home Professional - $110

Total: $987 ($957 after rebate) before shipping and tax.
 
Also technically. the Q6600 is $199 and not $180.. just thought I'd let you know..
 
Pretty good. Something I would put together. Are you sure you're a noobie? Hehe.


Thanks for the input. 500GB would be redundant for me but an additional 70GB for $5 is a good deal. The IDE drive was just the first thing that came up on NewEgg. Here is a slightly revised version:

CPU: Q6600 - $180
GPU: EVGA 8800GTS - $240 ($30 rebate)
Mobo: DFI LanParty P35 Dark - $140
Cooling: Xigmatek S1283 Rifle - $37
Case and PSU: Antec Sonota III w/ EarthWatts 500W PSU - $100
RAM: A-DATA DDR2-800 4GB kit - $76
HD: Samsung SpinPoint T 320GB - $70
Drive: Samsung DVDRW SATA - $27
Fans: Yate Loon 120mm x 2 - $7
OS: Vista 64 Home Professional - $110

Total: $987 ($957 after rebate) before shipping and tax.
 
Looks good. Danny and tiraides picked on the things I would have mentioned.
 
Yeah, the Fry's deal on the Q6600 went up to $200. Only those who acted prior to this week paid $180. Still, $200 for a Q6600 is still cheaper than everywhere else. So far we're 2 for 2 in getting G0's.
 
Back
Top