10-25% off steam games

H-street

Supreme [H]ardness
wow suprised someone hasn't posted this one..

10-25% off steam games..

OrangeBox 37$

Flatout 2 for 10$

etc.. etc..

10-50% off Steam games, actually. And their entire catalog is discounted by some degree. So while Call of Duty 4 is still a rip-off at $45, Bioshock is OK at $37, and then there are some unbelievable steals like Psychonauts and Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines for $10.

Good time to send a 'gift of game' to a friend, or to spend some of that Christmas dough.

Fox

10-50% off Steam games, actually. And their entire catalog is discounted by some degree. So while Call of Duty 4 is still a rip-off at $45, Bioshock is OK at $37, and then there are some unbelievable steals like Psychonauts and Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines for $10.

Good time to send a 'gift of game' to a friend, or to spend some of that Christmas dough.

Fox

"So while Call of Duty 4 is still a rip-off at $45"

???, kidding?

Its actually pretty cool, they store all of your information, no loosing discs or registration.

Just dont forget your account info.

I would grab orange box instead of tf2 by itself. Portal is worth the $10 imo and you can give the other games to friends if you already have it.

anyway tf2 is ~$27

Bought CoD4 for $44.95. I love Steam because it's so hard to get games down here in Mexico unless they're ridiculously priced or in Spanish, so Steam and Direct2Drive is a life-saver for my video game needs. I think I'm the only person in Mexico that has the Orange Box :cool:

I'm capped at 100 kb/s though and only at 17% so I figure sometime tonight I'll be able to play. Not a bad price though. I probably would have gotten Bioshock or something else also but $45 is enough for a week or two. I figure CoD4 is supposed to be an amazing 5 hours of single player and I've always loved Call of Duty MP so this should keep me distracted for a couple weeks.

No it's not. It's very much worth at least $50, let alone $45.

Unless they raise the price tomorrow, COD4 is $40.00 at best buy (B&M, not online). Even with sales tax, that's cheaper than the download, and I personally think the packaging and a physical DVD are worth something (especially if you have a drive die).

Unless they raise the price tomorrow, COD4 is $40.00 at best buy (B&M, not online). Even with sales tax, that's cheaper than the download, and I personally think the packaging and a physical DVD are worth something (especially if you have a drive die).

It's easy to find the 10% best buy coupons as well which counters the tax.

Yes, they are all downloads.
You need the Steam client - you can download it from www.steampowered.com (if you have Half-Life2, you probably already have it).

I have HL2 and E1 but I just built my PC and haven't played them yet. So is there nothing on those disks or I just need to register them on steam to play them? It sucks I have to go out and buy a wireless router just to play a game I payed for. The modem is in another room. Is there a difference between buying them on disks and downloading them straight from steam? Will both let me download them later if I ever lose the disk? My gf bought me the orange box for Christmas, but accidently got the PS3 version so I was going to exchange it. It's $40 at BB and $37.45 on steam. For a couple bucks more I'm getting the CDs, case, and manual. What would you guys do?

I have HL2 and E1 but I just built my PC and haven't played them yet. So is there nothing on those disks or I just need to register them on steam to play them? It sucks I have to go out and buy a wireless router just to play a game I payed for. The modem is in another room. Is there a difference between buying them on disks and downloading them straight from steam? Will both let me download them later if I ever lose the disk? My gf bought me the orange box for Christmas, but accidently got the PS3 version so I was going to exchange it. It's $40 at BB and $37.45 on steam. For a couple bucks more I'm getting the CDs, case, and manual. What would you guys do?

i'd get it off steam cuz
1. im too lazy to drive
2. too lazy to open the box
3. too lazy to insert disc

The discs have installation files. It would be the same no matter if you downloaded the games via Steam or installed them from disc.

For most of the Steam games, you do not need to be connected to the net to play the actual game after the initial verification steps.

See here;
http://support.steampowered.com/cgi-bin/steampowered.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=213

If you format, you can just reinstall Steam and redownload all the games. Your account info keeps track of what games you are entitled. You can also backup a game you installed so that you don't have to redownload gigabytes of files.

So yeah, the one benefit of (or two) of getting a retail copy of Orange Box is you get 2 DVDs and the box. There is no manual, but who reads those anyway? ;)

That is irrelevant to my post. I'm not saying Steam is the best way or cheapest way to get COD4. I'm just stating that COD4 is very well worth $45 and even $50. That doesn't mean one wouldn't want to buy for as cheap as possible. But $45 is still not a rip off for this game.

So while Call of Duty 4 is still a rip-off at $45
That is irrelevant to my post. I'm not saying Steam is the best way or cheapest way to get COD4. I'm just stating that COD4 is very well worth $45 and even $50. That doesn't mean one wouldn't want to buy for as cheap as possible. But $45 is still not a rip off for this game.

Yikes, way to rip on my post everyone. Since I saw COD4 for $32 the other week, I said it was a rip-off at $45. Of course it is worth the $50, gameplay-wise. So are Psychonauts or VtM: Bloodlines, and they're only $10 during this sale. Since I'm poor at the moment, any game has to be cheaper than $40 for me to buy it :D

Fox

Only thing that buying it in a store does is just let you skip the download process otherwise, the manual is just 1 sheet, and what are you gonna do with the box? o_o

for me personally its a toss up..

i love originals, like the Total War series i would never buy on steam, just too much you get in the box..

but stuff like FPS, the Half life stuff steam is great..

one thing i love about steam is the fact that it is play anywhere on any system you own, since its tied to your account..

infact i really wish i could take some of my store bought games, like RomeTW, and just register them with the CD-Key.. so you get the benefit of the boxed original and the steam account (not to mention automatically updating etc.. etc..)..

and people are correct when they say steam is not usually the cheapest.. infact it is rarely the cheapest..

infact i really wish i could take some of my store bought games, like RomeTW, and just register them with the CD-Key.. so you get the benefit of the boxed original and the steam account (not to mention automatically updating etc.. etc..)..

I thought you could do this. Did you try entering the key? This has worked for me with other games that are on steam that I purchased in store.

If anyone can tell me how to convert a boxed copy of STALKER to steam that would rock. Got my copy for $7.50 but would love to have it steam enabled for future systems.

Like I posted above, did you try entering the key into steam? What error message is it giving you?

Steam is nice if you travel at all, can grab your games wherever theres an internet connection.

As for the sale, I like "buying" my games over buying my games.

Wasn't Supreme Commander on Steam at one point?

Also wanted to add: I like buying my games on steam because then I don't have to worry about CD keys or keeping discs around that could get lost or scratched, etc. I would load all my games on Steam if I could, and would just store away all the CD/DVDs.

The discs have installation files. It would be the same no matter if you downloaded the games via Steam or installed them from disc.

For most of the Steam games, you do not need to be connected to the net to play the actual game after the initial verification steps.

See here;
http://support.steampowered.com/cgi-bin/steampowered.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=213

If you format, you can just reinstall Steam and redownload all the games. Your account info keeps track of what games you are entitled. You can also backup a game you installed so that you don't have to redownload gigabytes of files.

So yeah, the one benefit of (or two) of getting a retail copy of Orange Box is you get 2 DVDs and the box. There is no manual, but who reads those anyway? ;)

The other benefit is you can sell your used Orange Box (if you so choose). I'm guessing it's pretty hard to sell a game you downloaded from steam.

And downloading takes more time...especially with crapcast as a provider.

The other benefit is you can sell your used Orange Box (if you so choose). I'm guessing it's pretty hard to sell a game you downloaded from steam.

And downloading takes more time...especially with crapcast as a provider.

Can you? The Orange Box has a key with it that you have to enter when installing. After you install it with that key, the key becomes tied to your Steam ID.

yea some games, even if you buy them from the store, are steam games.. you buy from the store, install and register in steam (Dark Messiah of Might and Magic was like this)

but other games, like RomeTW, the only copy that you can register in steam is the steam purchased copy.. a regular store bought copy's key wont' be recognized in steam as a rometw game.. (probably somethign to do with publisher's rights and $$)

its too bad too, since you can't buy expansions for games you have unless you buy the steam copy .. (eg.. MedeivelTW Kingdoms on steam can't be used for my store bought copy)..

Can you? The Orange Box has a key with it that you have to enter when installing. After you install it with that key, the key becomes tied to your Steam ID.

Hmm...that's pretty f***ing lame. the best thing to do is create a seperate steam account for each game then you can just sell the account and media.

What do I care...i still haven't played the free copy of HL2 that i got almost 3 years ago. I did download the multiplayer game (TF?) but never got around to playing it. I do remember that the download was incredibly slow for some reason.

I grabbed the Shadowgrounds pack, wanted to pick that up for a while now an $13 beats the 20 they had it for a month or so ago. I may grab X3 later, any other suggestions?

Thanks!
I'm in for Red Orchestra and Bloodlines.

any other good ones out there? I'm on the fence with X3.

edit: notice to steam users. I picked up The Ship @ target for $5. Just type in the serial on your steam account and it'll be added to your library. w00t.

Hmm...that's pretty f***ing lame. the best thing to do is create a seperate steam account for each game then you can just sell the account and media.

What do I care...i still haven't played the free copy of HL2 that i got almost 3 years ago. I did download the multiplayer game (TF?) but never got around to playing it. I do remember that the download was incredibly slow for some reason.

Can't do that either, as there is only one key for the entire Orange Box. You use it, all the games get tied to your account (unless you had duplicates, then you can gift).

I bought Call of Duty 4 over the weekend. CoD4 and TF2 multiplayer should keep my PC gaming occupied for a while. Downloading 10 GB of data to install CoD4, though, was a wait.

Steam has it's ups and downs... I think the pros tend to outweigh the cons though...

I hate CD's and CDkeys because I'd always lose them, or they'd get destroyed.. I have 3-4 copies of Starcraft, 4-5 of Halflife, couple Tribes 2 and UT2004 disks, 2-3 Quake 3... Simply because I lost Key's or CD's...

Once Steam came around I have all my games linked to 1 account... I just backup the GCF files every reformat, then drag + drop, wait 10-15 minutes to transfer, login to steam, have it update my files and I can start playing :D! No waiting for installs, no downloading patches, no entering CD-Keys... nothing... If you don't backup your GCF files, you gotta download, just let it run for 1 night and you'll have everything.

Back