1 beeeelion points

A special thanks to OCAU, our friendly competition has really provided a lot of cycles for the cause and with that we are all winners.

And Steve/Kyle: a front page mention of this momentous occasion is always nice :D

And Steve/Kyle: a front page mention of this momentous occasion is always nice :D

I sent off an email to Steve earlier but I have a feeling it was a bit too late for the news for the day. I figure it should be put up tomorrow.

Makes you wonder why anyone would want to join any other team :D

grats guys!

Congratulations go out to the [H]ard|OCP Folding team for reaching the one billion point milestone. The dedication and commitment shown by each and every member of our folding team is absolutely phenomenal and you should all be commended for your [H]ard work. My hat is off to you all, it is truly an honor to be part of this team.

I also want to thank all the other teams that are folding for a cure. The friendly competition and camaraderie helps drive us all to do better and in the end it benefits us all. Thank you all from Team #33!

Congrats guys, the [H]orde effin rocks!!!! Gonna have that one printed out and framed.

This is a sincere question, so go easy on the flames.

1Billion points... great, but WHAT actually has this achieved other than waste a load of electricity thus further contributing to global warming? :confused:

Enlighten me.

fguy102lg1hm4.jpg

Yay, its nice to be on the winning team for once. =-)

This is a sincere question, so go easy on the flames.

1Billion points... great, but WHAT actually has this achieved other than waste a load of electricity thus further contributing to global warming? :confused:

Enlighten me.

A sincere question warrant a sincere answer : This help researchers to understand how proteins folding work and how proteins misfolding effect the whole system and cause diseases such as Huntingdon, Alzheimer or cancer. When they understand this fully, they can then find a cure for it by fixing the protein misfolding issues.

More informations about that can be found at http://folding.stanford.edu/English/Science and there is already over 50 papers about that at http://folding.stanford.edu/English/Papers with more to come (including some applied ones, not just theory).

Please don't bring the global warming into the mix since this would be a pointless debate and not the goal. It's the individuals choices to decide what to do and you should respect this.

woohoo congrats to the [H]orde

1Billion Big Ones...well just lots of zeroes..ehehehe

now time to study that gpu folding...me just can't make it run

Congrats guys!

I just started folding for [H] tonight (with the release of the NVIDIA GPU Client) should have a couple of WUs done by morning as my first little effort.

Only odd thing is doing the folding is the first time that I've managed to get a high pitched whine out of my 8800GTS, but as far as I've read it shouldn't be harmful, temps/voltages are fine etc, so on with the folding.

Mine does that too. Try playing with the clocks, and the pitch of it will change. Not sure exactly what it is, but the higher the clock the higher the pitch!

The whine is kinda crazy.

Thats one of the reasons I have been gettin 8800GS. They don't have the whine. The new box I'm working on will be in the basement, whine be damed!

The whine is kinda crazy.
My 8800GTX whines ever since I overclocked it, it's annoying as all heck but usually I'm listening to music anyway so I don't hear it. Funny thing, when it was in my main rig and I was gaming on it I left it at stock speed, I never bothered to OC it until GPU2 came out. :)

Congrats Team 33!

I have not contributed much recently, but I am proud to have made some contribution towards this goal.

I wish you all the best on your journey towards 2 billion!

Anderu

The money we spent on electricity to fold 1 billion points would have otherwise been spent on gas, beer, and hookers so we are in fact saving the world in that regard as well.

I can proudly say that I've been here folding away since the team barely had 1 MILLION points!!! At the time 1 billion was inconceivable.....truly a huge accomplishment and I'm glad my .2% got us there 1 day earlier :D

The money we spent on electricity to fold 1 billion points would have otherwise been spent on gas, beer, and hookers so we are in fact saving the world in that regard as well.

Actually, I do my damnedest to get women to pay for my beer, I don't live very far from the bar so gas is irrelevant and I never had to worry about hookers since I'm the manw[H]ore anyway. :D

Back