“Star Wars” Heading For Box Office Record Of $215 Million-Plus In US

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
George, why did you sell Star Wars for only 4 billion?

“The Force Awakens” started screening on Thursday evening with hundreds of sellouts following months of massive marketing. Rival studios had been projecting an opening weekend above $250 million since midday Friday, but Disney has opted for a cautious outlook, asserting in the early afternoon that the seventh Star Wars movie would top $200 million and then pushing that to $215 million in the late afternoon.

Movie in 4DX was pretty cool. Loved the use of effects and it was like a very long roller coaster ride. 8/10.
I guess Luke was filming for the sequels.

saw the movie here in NYC in one of the few Dolby Cinema theaters (Dolby Vision is the company's new high-dynamic-range (HDR) format, meaning that it offers a wider range between the whitest whites and blackest blacks than traditional digital cinema...plus it offers Dolby Atmos audio)

excellent movie overall and a great start to the new trilogy but I had some issues with it as well...I give it a solid B+ (as close to an A- as you can get)...best parts: all the actors (old and new) nailed their parts...Carrie Fisher surprised me with how good she was...Daisy Ridley (Rey) is a star...John Boyega (Finn) was much, much better then the trailers let on and Adam Driver nailed the Kylo Ren role (and I was most skeptical about him going in)...the practical effects and CGI struck the right balance

can't go into more detail about the things I didn't like without delving into spoiler territory

saw the movie here in NYC in one of the few Dolby Cinema theaters (Dolby Vision is the company's new high-dynamic-range (HDR) format, meaning that it offers a wider range between the whitest whites and blackest blacks than traditional digital cinema...plus it offers Dolby Atmos audio)

excellent movie overall and a great start to the new trilogy but I had some issues with it as well...I give it a solid B+ (as close to an A- as you can get)...best parts: all the actors (old and new) nailed their parts...Carrie Fisher surprised me with how good she was...Daisy Ridley (Rey) is a star...John Boyega (Finn) was much, much better then the trailers let on and Adam Driver nailed the Kylo Ren role (and I was most skeptical about him going in)...the practical effects and CGI struck the right balance

can't go into more detail about the things I didn't like without delving into spoiler territory

Agree for the most part. IMO Finn is just OK, Poe Dameron does well but Kylo Ren gave me mixed feelings. Awesome on the first half on the movie, but not so good towards the end.

Agree for the most part. IMO Finn is just OK, Poe Dameron does well but Kylo Ren gave me mixed feelings. Awesome on the first half on the movie, but not so good towards the end.

I'll put the issues I had with the movie in spoilers...

the not so good: story felt incomplete...too many questions left to be continued into the next movie and beyond- how did Han lose the Falcon, C-3P0's red arm, who was the Max Von Sydow character (is he supposed to be a character from the original trilogy?), who are the Knights of the Ren, why did Phasma have chrome plated Stormtrooper armor etc

the bad: I hated the design of Supreme Leader Snoke...not even close to the bad-ass-ness of Emperor Palpatine...I hated the cliffhanger ending with Luke...it was exactly as I feared- 5 seconds of screen time with no dialogue used to set up Episode 8

the really bad: no way in hell Rey should have been able to easily defeat Kylo Ren...she literally just learned about her powers a few minutes ago and she takes down the guy who has been practicing and honing his skills for years??...no way

Curious to know what as been spent marketing this movie so far. It has certainly been pushed down everyone's throat on the small amount of television I watch...

They won't sucker me on this. I'll be watching a cam before I pay money to see it in a theater. The last 3 were so bad............

I'll put the issues I had with the movie in spoilers..

My thoughts

Captain phasma was supposed to be a badass but she shows absolutely no sign of that.
Worse than Rey defeating Kylo (if only because he was hurt badly by Chewie) was Finn putting a fight. At least Rey has the force, but Finn was a JANITOR turned into storm trooper.

I also have mixed feelings about the grandpa scene. I think it was given away too soon.

Maz Katana fails as a Yoda wannabe

And taking ideas from the expanded universe and just mixing them up is not original.

So is this movie actually any good?

Empire Strikes Back > Force Awakens > Return of the Jedi

I think it was more of a litmus test to prove that JJ was able to not fuck up the series, as opposed to push the series to the next level. I think now he's proven himself, I would expect, or at least hope, the next movie to be a lot better.

Biggest problem with the movie:

It could easily be considered a remade episode 4. Yet again the empire build a big base with massive destruction capabilities and yet again they have no clue how to defend it. I don't even think there were any Star Destroyers orbiting it so the rebels basically walked in the front door. The empire (or first order, same shit different name) apparently learned nothing from the first 2 death stars being taken out in a short period of time?

Just seemed hokey that once again that's what the movie was about. You would think it would have at least survived into the second movie but nope, so what are they going to do for 8? Yet again build another one?

Reminded me a lot of into darkness where abrams basically remade wrath of khan in his own style, this was his version of episode 4.

And taking ideas from the expanded universe and just mixing them up is not original

would have been great if Snoke was actually Grand Admiral Thrawn from the Expanded Universe...as far as Phasma, JJ Abrams has stated that she will have a bigger role in the next movie(s)

I think it was more of a litmus test to prove that JJ was able to not fuck up the series, as opposed to push the series to the next level. I think now he's proven himself, I would expect, or at least hope, the next movie to be a lot better.

The thing that worries me a bit, is that JJ Abrams is not the one directing the next two.

Episode 8 is being directed by the guy who did Brick

Episode 9 is being directed by the guy who did Safety Not Guaranteed and Jurassic World

you're selectively choosing titles...Rian Johnson is an excellent choice...he's the guy who also directed Looper...the guy who's directing Episode 9 (Colin Trevorrow) doesn't have much of a resume so I was always more concerned about him

You're only doing yourself a disservice...movie was great.

I'll agree on the cam part, but I disagree on avoiding the theater as doing himself a disservice. My home setup gives a better experience overall and I'll be able to watch it multiple times. I can wait a few months for it to hit blu-ray and not have to tolerate dealing with theater crap.

Seriosuly, you guys not understand when someone posts a major spoiler you DO NOT QUOTE THEM.

Just post a warning that there's a spoiler on the previous page/what post # it is and do not quote them.

All you do by that is help make sure that more people (who otherwise might not have seen it) do.

It does not really surprise me to see Star Wars doing so well. What really boggles my mind is how shitty movies like Avatar did so well.

Wow, I can't believe someone would list any spoilers to a movie that is sold out consistently still in many places.

Wow, I can't believe someone would list any spoilers to a movie that is sold out consistently still in many places.

The world needs useless douchebags, if for nothing else, to give tangible meaning to the term "worthless douchebag."

I was about to say how it's so nice to see all the [H] crew using spoiler tags. Then a troll comes along.

Seriously, ban his ass.

Mixed feelings. Second verse- same as the first. I was entertained but something was ...odd. Like it jumped the shark. (I know, right?) Not the special FX, the story. Kudos for using less CGI. There's a corny charm to Star Wars that I knew wouldn't be there. I figured it would be good though. I dunno. I never sat in a full recliner to watch a movie in a theater before; comfy...most excellent! That was the best part of the movie for me.

I put it: Empire Strikes Back > EP 4 > EP3 > The Force Awakens but then kinda stumbles along until Han Solo shows up.

Quite enjoyed it. I liked the faster pace, and the effects were nice (though some of the CGI characters had that phony 'prequel' look about them.)

It really bothers me just how much everyone's forgotten the Jedi. It's probably more due to the way the prequel Trilogy was written, but the Jedi were fucking everywhere during that era and had their nose in so many different affairs. How did they become so myth-like? You'd think the Jedi would be in some galaxy-wide knowledge database. It's been, what, less than a hundred years since Revenge of the Sith?

Its not the Second Coming, but it was a good movie. Definitely worth seeing. It covered a lot of ground and some things were not developed. Maybe in the second movie.

Shit! I quoted that piece of shit! WTF! I can't edit my post! I hope enough people report that ass hole and his post so that this thread gets cleaned up.

It's a good movie. Go in expecting something in-between a reboot of ANH and a new story. The new characters are fun, the dialog is mostly great, and there's a hint of Luke's journey in Empire (including a cool dream sequence).

The only real negative I had with the film was Carrie Fisher, she doesn't contribute much and she looks like she's had way too many death sticks.

I loved the movie, but at the same time I was horribly dissapointed with it.

The movie was basically scene by scene episode 4 redone with a new cast, guy hides stuff in robot, robot gets lost in dessert, robot gets found and delivered, death star gets blowed up.
Movie ends with father son confrontation.

Dessert scene, forest scene, winter scene... name of planets changed.

Movie was fantastic. I would also rank it in the top 2-3, far better then any of the Lucas prequels which can now be forgotten.

As a middle age man I remember the first run... and like many I watched it and thought ya this is great but perhaps not a classic... then I looked to my left and saw my 12 year old daughters face.

It WILL be a classic for them... when the Girl has her climatic battle and its clear she is the new star her smile was ear to ear. She is going to remember this one the same way I remember IV.

I am very very very glad she was to young to take to episodes I II III... that is the poor left out gen. lol

I loved the movie, but at the same time I was horribly dissapointed with it.

The movie was basically scene by scene episode 4 redone with a new cast, guy hides stuff in robot, robot gets lost in dessert, robot gets found and delivered, death star gets blowed up.
Movie ends with father son confrontation.

Dessert scene, forest scene, winter scene... name of planets changed.

Yeah, I kinda felt the same way. I was worried that JJ Abrams would put too much of his own style into it, but instead, there was very little that was original. He played it way too safe, and it was more predictable than Avatar.

The thing that worries me a bit, is that JJ Abrams is not the one directing the next two.

Episode 9 is being directed by the guy who did Safety Not Guaranteed and Jurassic World

Episode VIIIs Rian Johnson also gave us Looper... if they choose to go the bit darker road as Lucas did with Empire he may be the perfect choice over JJ.

For 9 Colin Trevorrow does give me pause... he did not a bad job with J. World.

8 is locked down and already in production 9s director choice could still change... although thinking about it if it is the new trilogies ROTJ Giving to to someone like him to bring home with a big safe splashy box office spectacle might be a safe choice for Disney anyway.

With out a doubt they both have their work cut out for them, JJ set the bar pretty high. If Johnson knocks 8 out of the park I feel for Trevorrow, that kinda pressure will be crazy and if he doesn't nail it it could be his last big production movie if he really soils the bed.

The last thing I need after a 12 hour shift is to come home to you jerks being internet dickwads. Let's keep the spoilers out of this thread, huh?

It was a lot of fun, but they've taken a lot of liberties with established mythos. It's absolutely made for the new generation. Visually stunning, and the 3d really adds to it. I definitely take issue with some of the plot points but I went into it without high expectations and really, really enjoyed it. The acting is sooooo much better than the PT and I'm definitely waaay looking forward to the next 2.

I can wait a few months for it to hit blu-ray and not have to tolerate dealing with theater crap.

You honestly think the BR will be out in just "a few months"? This isn't some shitty Adam Sandler movie that bombs at the box office and goes to DVD quickly so the studio can generate some revenue....
I wouldn't be surprised if DVD/BR release isn't until late summer/early fall 2016.
Hell, it takes HBO 10 months to release the DVD/BR boxset of each Game of Thrones season.

Back