NYPD Creates iPhone Theft Division

HardOCP News

[H] News
Not only is iDevice theft rampant in New York, it is so bad that the NYPD now has a taskforce dedicated strictly to stolen iPhones / iPads. No worries though, what are the odds that YOU will be the one killed on the subway for your iPhone? :eek:

NYPD forms dedicated team to catch thieves who steal iPhones and iPads. The theft of Apple devices is so rampant in New York that a team of cops has been assigned to work with the tech giant to get the stolen gadgets back, The Post has learned.

I guess they have the rapist/murderer/child molester situation under control.

Seriously. What a joke. What a total waste of man hours and state funding.

You'll live if your iPhone or iPad is stolen. I've been mugged , its a very unpleasant experience but "things" are replaceable.

And they wonder why people think they are a joke...

And yet people can't begin to fathom that maybe they should put them away for a while and observe their surroundings instead of being totally absorbed by their expensive devices. A couple weeks ago, I went to a store where the cashier had her iPhone on the cash register where anyone at her rear could just snag it. It was so unnerving to me that I had to tell her to put it away or you'll probably be robbed! Can't tell you how many SWFs I see walking alone down streets with their iPhone 5s out or the amount of folks on trains with their iPads reading and/or listening to music. Such easy targets.

Fuck it, humanity is lost, I'm pushing it.

3629410526_741396361_BigRedButton3_xlarge_xlarge.jpeg

Wait, is this *just* for iDevices? Not *any* smartphone?

If so...even stupider than the idea is in the first place.

Well, they have the Sugary Soda Police. This is the domain of Bloomberg, so anything silly is possible.

"Whoa whoa whoa, your big gulp is 1 oz over the limit. Whoa whoa whoa, is that your iPhone? I better take it in to check that it is." And the iPhone turns up missing in the evidence locker at NYPD.

Totally stupid, hey least now they have a reason to raise taxes or create new ones.

For iSakes! Better if tech giants have a feature to remote kill the device.

Seems like a good idea. Until it goes off by accident (bug) or gets hacked and set off. Then you've got class action suits to deal with.

I wonder if this will be an issue with Google Glass? I'm guessing not. First because no one is going to know WTF they are for awhile yet and second, since your head won't be buried in a screen and you'll be actively looking at your surroundings through it you'll be less of a target of opportunity.

Seriously. What a joke. What a total waste of man hours and state funding.

You'll live if your iPhone or iPad is stolen. I've been mugged , its a very unpleasant experience but "things" are replaceable.

And they wonder why people think they are a joke...
What a moronic point of view. "People get raped and killed so other crimes should be ignored."

Protip: iDevices are expensive and not everyone can afford to lose and replace them, even if they could afford to buy and own them in the first place.
Protip2: With all the personal information stored on such devices, what is lost can be significantly more valuable than the device itself.

Just because people might be careless when their property gets stolen doesn't mean that they deserve to be stolen from, nor does it mean that society shouldn't make an effort to catch the thieves. What should be even more concerning is that thieves wouldn't be stealing these devices if there wasn't a market for them, probably serving jerks who wouldn't dream of stealing something themselves but don't mind occasionally getting a really good deal on something that "fell off a truck."

Just because people might be careless when their property gets stolen doesn't mean that they deserve to be stolen from."

Yes they do. If they are like anything like the trendy faggots around here that do nothing but show off their gay ass iDevices. They most definetly deserve to get all their shit stolen and a beating as well.

If you live in NYC, get out. That place is just a statist cesspool of disease and corruption. The idea that there is an iDevice theft division is offensive.

What a moronic point of view. "People get raped and killed so other crimes should be ignored."

Hardly what they said. They, like me, think the police should prioritize on getting murder and rape stuff solved.

And on the other hand, this seems to be limited to Iproducts. Which is retarded. While it's not explicitly said, it does mention that the information is sent to the police who will then send it to Apple, so unless they're colluding with Apple to get data on other phones, then it is only for Iproducts.

So other smart phone owners get no reprieve?

And finally, there are tons of expensive things that people lose or get stolen. It should be a division for all of them.... not such a narrow division with a single focus.

If you live in NYC, get out. That place is just a statist cesspool of disease and corruption. The idea that there is an iDevice theft division is offensive.

Thanks for the tip, will you pay for my relocation costs and place me in a position of gainful employment?

:rolleyes:

Hardly what they said. They, like me, think the police should prioritize on getting murder and rape stuff solved.

And on the other hand, this seems to be limited to Iproducts. Which is retarded. While it's not explicitly said, it does mention that the information is sent to the police who will then send it to Apple, so unless they're colluding with Apple to get data on other phones, then it is only for Iproducts.

So other smart phone owners get no reprieve?

And finally, there are tons of expensive things that people lose or get stolen. It should be a division for all of them.... not such a narrow division with a single focus.
All the article really says is that "a team of cops" has been formed. That could be anything from 2 officers and a detective to maybe a dozen cops, and I strongly doubt the latter since the purpose of the team is basically described as gathering and passing on information. The words "division" and "task force" were used in the [H]ard title and blurb, not the linked article, and are pretty obviously intended to be inflammatory/amusing. That you and other commenters were apparently inflamed is an indication that [H]ard trolling is working as intended.

Finally, I will note that if Apple products are being stolen at a higher rate than others (which seems likely to be true given the perceived Apple cachet and the fact that Apple suckers are willing to pay nearly new prices for even used Apple products) then, yeah, those thefts ought to get more attention. This is particularly true, and useful, if the unique identifiers on Apple products are easier for police to track down. Police departments tend to devote resources to crimes they think they can solve rather than flushing resources down the toilet on crimes that are both petty and difficult to solve.

Of course, since the article doesn't state that police are ignoring theft reports on other phones, your complaint is pretty much based on a total logical tailspin.

Wait, is this *just* for iDevices? Not *any* smartphone?

If so...even stupider than the idea is in the first place.

Victim: Hello 911!, my galaxy s3 was stolen!!!
911: your what?!?
Victim: i mean my iphone was stolen!
911: we're sending the swat team right away!

Living in New York City.

People steal anything. Back when the Sidekick was popular I had coworkers get them ripped out of their hands before the subway doors close and the thief gets away.

The main problem with all these cellphone's being stolen. Is even if you report it. Apple and the Cellphone carriers don't give a shit about it.

Apple would rather Fix the iphone so another person can use it. Then Blacklist it and get bad publicity from people getting iphones they bought off the street that apple will not fix.

NYPD just needs to put a sexy name to the problem so they can get the budget for it. You call it Electronic Device Theft Protection and nobody will care. Call it iPhone Theft prevention. And you'll get rich white people throwing money to save themselves.

And yet people can't begin to fathom that maybe they should put them away for a while and observe their surroundings instead of being totally absorbed by their expensive devices. A couple weeks ago, I went to a store where the cashier had her iPhone on the cash register where anyone at her rear could just snag it. It was so unnerving to me that I had to tell her to put it away or you'll probably be robbed! Can't tell you how many SWFs I see walking alone down streets with their iPhone 5s out or the amount of folks on trains with their iPads reading and/or listening to music. Such easy targets.

And I thought the US of A was a developed country without those "third world" issues. My bad.

And I thought the US of A was a developed country without those "third world" issues. My bad.

From the petty thief to embezzling banker -- there's always a scheme to make money off of someone else's hard work.

If you believe we're beyond that in the USA, then friend, I've got some beachfront property to sell to you. If you'd just provide me with your SS, Bank Account Number, Name, Address, and personal details, we can get the process started.

Gotta love it
Story comes up of someones iPhone getting stolen, thief doesn't turn off, owner can track where it's at, goes to police to tell them, they say nothing they can do, people bitch and moan about how useless the police are, owner goes vigilante, everyone cheers.

Story comes up, police actually trying to find stolen devices when they're reported stolen by no means other than seeing if they're still transmitting their location, moaning about corruption, waste of money, completely stupid thing to do.

Apple themselves refused to disable stolen iPhones in the past. Do they really care now, or is this solely a NY municipal initiative?

If they did find your i something, your still not going to get it back until the case against the suspect is done, so that could be a year or two...a few generations forward of the device you lost.

Back