Apple Wants $3B in Damages From Samsung

HardOCP News

[H] News
What the heck, if the courts are willing to give you one billion in damages, why not push your luck and go for triple that amount instead. :)

Attorneys for Apple plan to ask U.S. District Judge Lucy Koh to order Samsung to pay $3 billion after losing the recent patent suit between the two companies, reports the Korea Times. A hearing is set for Friday in which Apple will argue its case. In seeking triple the amount in damages, Apple would likely rely on a jury decision that found Samsung guilty of "willfull infringement" on five of the six patents in question.

/enters

I'm leaving some towels and tissues for the rest of the thread.

/exits

I'm going to laugh my ass off (and likely my lungs dry) if Apple ends up with a greatly reduced settlement out of this.

Samsung should cut off all supply to crApple.

No more Ax chips, no more LCDs, no more memory modules.

We'll see how well crApple can build the iBad without their chief supplier.

shut-up-and-give-me-your-money.jpg

Guarantee Apple has 9 out of 10 jurors in their pockets. Apple: "Hey Mr. Juror, we will pay you some chump change to vote in our favor, how does $10M sound!"

Guarantee Apple has 9 out of 10 jurors in their pockets. Apple: "Hey Mr. Juror, we will pay you some chump change to vote in our favor, how does $10M sound!"

Seeing as how this isnt a jury issue right now...

All of this just comes down to Apple basically admitting that Samsung's products are superior. Otherwise, what are they so afraid of? Why is Samsung the only Android manufacturer seemingly in Apple's crosshairs?

Wait till MS starts taking away apples marketshare, then the crap will really hit the fan.

Samsung should cut off all supply to crApple.

No more Ax chips, no more LCDs, no more memory modules.

We'll see how well crApple can build the iBad without their chief supplier.

You're so funny you're making my gut hurt.

HA! With the jurors showing just how ignorant they are every time they open their stupid mouths, samsung will get this appealed no problem. I hope apples doesn't get a dime.

I am also VERY anxious to hear about Samsung/HTC going after apple for their LTE patents. Wouldn't that be something if they got the iphone5/ipad3 banned.

Yet apple is Samsungs biggest customer (I believe), would be kind of dumb for them to shoot themselves in the foot.

I am also VERY anxious to hear about Samsung/HTC going after apple for their LTE patents. Wouldn't that be something if they got the iphone5/ipad3 banned.

UGH, how many times am I going to have to explain this on [H]?

Apple beat Samsung over TRADE DRESS DILUTION. That is a "bannable offense" because it is directly harming Apple's brand image.

HTC is suing Apple over UTILITY PATENT INFRINGEMENT. That is not a "bannable offense" because HTC holds a patent they will be legally required to license under FRAND due to antitrust laws.

E.g.: AMD cannot force Intel to license their logo to them. That's a trademark Intel owns and only Intel can use. AMD can, however, force Intel to license their CPU technology to them under antitrust laws.

And I'd like to do three asian girls at the same time, but you don't always get what you want, Apple.

If the courts actually reward this, then we will finally know for certain that American mega-corporations can buy "justice".

UGH, how many times am I going to have to explain this on [H]?

Apple beat Samsung over TRADE DRESS DILUTION. That is a "bannable offense" because it is directly harming Apple's brand image.

HTC is suing Apple over UTILITY PATENT INFRINGEMENT. That is not a "bannable offense" because HTC holds a patent they will be legally required to license under FRAND due to antitrust laws.

E.g.: AMD cannot force Intel to license their logo to them. That's a trademark Intel owns and only Intel can use. AMD can, however, force Intel to license their CPU technology to them under antitrust laws.

Frankly, it doesn't matter how many times you repeat yourself on this. People are still going to hurp and derp about wanting to see HTC/Samsung get Apple's products banned. Plus, there are a fair number of people in the tech world who are convinced that any and all forms of patents are somehow ethically wrong and thus invalid. Well, except when they are used to sue Apple, then those are kosher.

Frankly, it doesn't matter how many times you repeat yourself on this. People are still going to hurp and derp about wanting to see HTC/Samsung get Apple's products banned. Plus, there are a fair number of people in the tech world who are convinced that any and all forms of patents are somehow ethically wrong and thus invalid. Well, except when they are used to sue Apple, then those are kosher.

Patents are necessary and essential.

But they should not be issued for aesthetic aspects of design.

By all means, issue patents for technological advances, where the company seeking a patent put in millions or billions in developing something that works.

Patenting a rectangle with rounded corners and a button - however - is just ridiculous.

Patents should protect things that take actual R&D work to come up with, not something anyone could think of at any time.

Remember, patents are required to be Useful, Novel and Non-Obvious.

In this regard, Samsung, HTC and Motorola's patents are more valid than those Apple have been using for lawsuits.

The patents Apple used to sue Samsung in this case I feel don't meet those criteria, and thus the patents should have been struck down. (in fact, they should never have been issued in the first place).

Hopefully this is what happens when this case goes to appeals.

If I were Samsung right now, I'd just blanket cut Apple off from any supplied components, and then give them the middle finger, when they have to redesign all of their products to make them work. :D

It would be nice if the court reversed decision due to Apple's wanting of increased monetary damages and awarded Apple $0.00.

It would be nice if the court reversed decision due to Apple's wanting of increased monetary damages and awarded Apple $0.00.

That wouldnt be nice at all, Samsung would get away with blatent copying (which is what Touchwiz is).

I want to see Apple get torched but in this era it won't happen. Now days Apple can get away with trying to control and dictate the market and they do. In the past, people said fuck you and it caused them to go out of business. It's amazing how many sheep we now have.

the jury awarded a billion dollars and found some of the infringement to be willful. the consequence of willful infringement can be up to triple damages

$10M seems awfully generous for them, I'm thinking it'd be more along the lines of an iPad. Anf there are plenty of fools out there that would go for it.

Samsung Galaxy is better than the ISuck.

Why wonder they are made, I would be too.

Wait till MS starts taking away apples marketshare, then the crap will really hit the fan.
Oh man, it'll hurt Apple so much when MS' marketshare goes from 3% to like 10% over the next 2-4 years. If Windows 8 Phone takes off, it will come at the cost of Android's market share since the overwhelming majority of iOS users aren't switching from iPhones any time soon.

Seeing as how this isnt a jury issue right now...

Apple is using the jury decision in there patent case as reason for the damages. The problem being that the jurors, especially head juror, have given interviews showing that they disregarded juror instructions willfully, then lied about it.

Back