Windows 8 Successor Already In The Works?

HardOCP News

[H] News
The rumor mill claims that Microsoft is already working on a successor to Windows 8 codenamed "Blue." If you were to go by the complaints we hear the most, I think a Windows 8 MM* version should probably be the first big update from Microsoft. :D

It's not surprising Microsoft already is working on whatever version of Windows follows Windows 8. It'd be way more surprising if the company wasn't doing this. I've heard the next version of Windows is not going to be Windows 9. Instead, I've heard from a couple of my contacts that some kind of an update is coming next year.

*Minus Metro

Of course they are. The day any of their previous OS versions launched, they were already working on it's successor in some fashion or another. Nothing unusual here, especially considering MS appears to be trying to maintain a 2-3 year cycle.

The rumor mill claims that Microsoft is already working on a successor to Windows 8 codenamed "Blue." If you were to go by the complaints we hear the most, I think a Windows 8 MM* version should probably be the first big update from Microsoft. :D

*Minus Metro

It already is "Minus Metro" as of a few days ago lol.

to me it seems microsoft wants to go to a system similar to apple where there is a new iteration not new o/s from the ground up as it was in the past. instead of charging 25$ though they charge 20-300$ lol.

With any luck Microsoft will see at Win8 launch that they need to keep GUI like windows xp,vista,7. I for one do not want to be stuck into a "Metro" trap.

New naming scheme huh?

1.xx > 2.xx > 3.xx > 95 > 98 > ME > XP > Vista > 7 > 8 > Blue!?

Why not just be consistent for crying out loud?

It already is "Minus Metro" as of a few days ago lol.

Microsoft can call "Metro" whatever it wants due to its tarnished name. But it's still the same exact thing! There's a reason almost no one buys their mobile products and instead choose iOS/Android! Trying to force their Metro UI on the desktop crowd isn't going to work either!

Last edited by a moderator:
Microsoft having 2 OSes in the work at one time is nothing new. Windows 7 was being planned as Vista was shaping up.

Based on Microsoft's cycles, Windows Blue is going to be an incredible OS that makes people say "What were they thinking!?" in regards to Windows 8 Metro.

Zarathustra[H];1039034198 said:
New naming scheme huh?

Blue might be some development name rather than what it'll get called once it reaches the market. Microsoft called Windows Vista by Longhorn during its development and it turned out to live up to that name, being kinda cow-like in performance. ;)

New naming scheme huh?

They're trying to count to "potato".

There's a reason almost no one buys their mobile products and instead choose iOS/Android!

And what reason is that? WP7 has been growing rather steadily in it's userbase and WP7 handsets have consistently gotten higher reviews and praise than iOS and Android.

WP is not as big as the other two because it's brand new. Given time, it has plenty of potential IMO.

For Tablets, TUFNAM(The UI formerly known as Metro) works great.
For Desktops, Micorosoft should say, you know if you want to use it, great. If not you can use the standard desktop.
There end of story. Microsoft made people happy again and Windows 8 is not such a flop.
However Micorosoft is being to bullish and will cause some backlash. Not on the same level as Vista, but it will be there.

I think Windows 8 is just going to be another Windows ME. The next version will be good hopefully.

If they patch Windows 8 to completely remove all traces of "Metro" (or whatever they wanna call it now) I might actually look at Windows 8. Otherwise I'm not interested.

Of course they are. The day any of their previous OS versions launched, they were already working on it's successor in some fashion or another. Nothing unusual here, especially considering MS appears to be trying to maintain a 2-3 year cycle.

I don't think the WinRT APIs can survive stagnating for 3 years. They need to be updated yearly to stay in line with the Windows Phone APIs.

Microsoft can call "Metro" whatever it wants due to its tarnished name. But it's still the same exact thing! There's a reason almost no one buys their mobile products and instead choose iOS/Android! Trying to force their Metro UI on the desktop crowd isn't going to work either!
Yes their incentive package to phone sellers, esp to the salesmen on the floor of stores isn't as kind as what they would get for selling ios or andriod phones =p Has nothing to do with the OS or UI(although after awhile it has a small bit to do with few people on the phone not alot of development is geared to it and thus it's app store suffers)

So again what does that have to do with metro UI?

I often wonder how many people actually download the windows 8 preview and used it, really i don't the only reason i can think of why people would dislike the change in how things are presented, the UI is because it's just different. Outside of that it's a very functional ui for touch and for regular mouse use.

Outside of that it's a very functional ui for touch and for regular mouse use.

and a tablet is still functional for typing, but I'll stick with my workstation for that kind of stuff. :p

I don't think anyone disagrees with you because you're right... it is still functional. You can do all the same things in windows 8 that you could do in windows 7. I think the reason why most people don't like it (myself included) is that they're making a lot of sacrifices to the desktop/laptop experience to cater to the tablet market.

Give me one good reason why someone with a mouse should have to 'swipe' an app to close it? It makes no sense from a ergonomics standpoint. Those kinds of design decisions are peppering windows 8 and for no good reason. They're all things that are extremely intuitive on a touch device like a phone or tablet... but not so much with classic peripherals like a keyboard and mouse (and yes, I gave windows 8 a fair chance... I really want to like it due to the backend improvements over windows 7, but the POS UI just keeps turning me off)

Probably just a retaliation. You know. For those who can't... Adapt well... and are vocal about how mad they are with that. :D

I think Windows 8 is just going to be another Windows ME. The next version will be good hopefully.

Palm to Face --- oh here we go again.. pebkac bringing up the old hash...

you forgot to sneak an M$ in there too..

New naming scheme huh?

LOL I know, I was just going to post that. Their naming scheme is so out of whack.

And guess they pretty much realize 8 is going to be a fail so they'll release it just to get it over with and immediately try to recoup their loss so to speak. Probably a good move.

Kinda like what happened with Vista. It was such a big fail they fixed it up as fast as they could and re-released it as 7 which was much more improved.

Give me one good reason why someone with a mouse should have to 'swipe' an app to close it? It makes no sense from a ergonomics standpoint.

One good reason is that it is 100% consistent and doesn't rely on any chrome. And it can actually be as fast as a close button as one can grab anywhere along the top and drag down. The drag and drop metaphor has been around a long time on the desktop.

I'd rather use Windows 3.11 for Workgroups again rather than Win8...I'm almost not joking.

I'd rather use Windows 3.11 for Workgroups again rather than Win8...I'm almost not joking.

I actually kinda miss 3.11, it was kinda cool, probably because I barely knew nothing about computers so the thought of closing program manager and ending up into this "black screen with text" mode was pretty awesome and made me feel like a hacker. :D

Windows 9 "We were j/king about the removal of the start menu" edition.

Haha. Wonder if windows 8 will be like Bob. They'll just want everyone to forget about it. That's why they'll rush this new windows OS as soon as they can. Basically windows 7 with a few things moved around and some new version of directX that is supposedly better than the previous, but most importantly, a start menu.

Haha. Wonder if windows 8 will be like Bob. They'll just want everyone to forget about it. That's why they'll rush this new windows OS as soon as they can. Basically windows 7 with a few things moved around and some new version of directX that is supposedly better than the previous, but most importantly, a start menu.

A pattern that I think that I'm seeing in how ones sees Windows 8 has a lot to do with how one also sees the PC and PC market in general. I think Windows 8 opponents typically see the PC market as healthy where proponents of Windows 8 see a PC market that's not dying per se but in a world of serious major butt hurt coming pretty fast because of the rise of tablets and smart phones.

I simply cannot see how the PC survives in the general consumer market as a desirable thing to own beyond work purposes without the kinds of changes that Windows 8 is brining. I'm not at all saying that Microsoft has nailed those changes with Windows 8, indeed there's plenty of work to do, but again, I don't see a viable consumer future for PC without these kinds of changes.

A pattern that I think that I'm seeing in how ones sees Windows 8 has a lot to do with how one also sees the PC and PC market in general. I think Windows 8 opponents typically see the PC market as healthy where proponents of Windows 8 see a PC market that's not dying per se but in a world of serious major butt hurt coming pretty fast because of the rise of tablets and smart phones.

I simply cannot see how the PC survives in the general consumer market as a desirable thing to own beyond work purposes without the kinds of changes that Windows 8 is brining. I'm not at all saying that Microsoft has nailed those changes with Windows 8, indeed there's plenty of work to do, but again, I don't see a viable consumer future for PC without these kinds of changes.

Yeah sadly that could be the truth. The PC is basically dead. Sucks for people who actually have work to do at home such as hobby projects and other things that cannot be done easily on a tablet or phone. The thought of being forced to write code on a tablet because PCs become niche and too expensive makes me cringe, but the industry seems to be trying to push for that.

Yeah sadly that could be the truth. The PC is basically dead. Sucks for people who actually have work to do at home such as hobby projects and other things that cannot be done easily on a tablet or phone. The thought of being forced to write code on a tablet because PCs become niche and too expensive makes me cringe, but the industry seems to be trying to push for that.

If you have a keyboard and mouse, you can probably still plug those into USB ports. I'd hate to have to do any sort of exteded typing on a touch device though. People who go tablet only that need to perform a lot of data entry are already figuring out that touch interfaces are better as supplemental rather than primary means of entering text.

Back