Windows 8 Upgrade Offer Might Not Be Free

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Microsoft is preparing to roll out its Windows 8 offer for new PC buyers in early June. Buyers of Windows 7 PC’s after the promotion’s start date will be eligible for a discount on the new Windows 8 operating system once it is released. If you are planning on purchasing a new system soon, it might be a good move to hold off a few weeks until Microsoft announces upgrade details on June 2nd.

In the past, Microsoft and PC makers have offered free upgrades to prevent sales from dropping off before the new version of Windows comes out.

I think it would be more popular for MS to offer a Windows 7 downgrade program for the entire life of Windows 8.

I built my first new PC in 4 years last week. I was not remotely interested in waiting for Windows 8. They need at least a service pack, if not until Windows 9, to understand that you don't enhance the tablet experience by ripping away well functioning desktop/notebook elements in favor of ambiguous ones that I'm not sure work in mobile either.

If you are planning on purchasing a new system soon, it might be a good move to hold off a few weeks until Microsoft announces upgrade details on June 2nd.

In my opinion, if you a planning on purchasing a new PC you'd better hurry up before they throw Windows 8 on it. I did not care for it at all - but hey, that's just me.

In the past, Microsoft and PC makers have offered free upgrades to prevent sales from dropping off before the new version of Windows comes out.

Best. Joke. Ever.

Free upgrade... Well, technically the upgrade was free. You only had to pay 30€ handling and postage fee. Which was the half of the preorder price for full retail version at Amazon.

Sure, "free".

Oh god. I was holding off on Win 8 because I wanted to be surprised but you guys are really scaring me.

Think of all the cool things a touchscreen centric OS can do. Remove anything you'd be slowed down with a mouse for or anything you had to manage or control yourself.

Now take away the touchscreen and hide all your shit.

Welcome to Windows 8.

I think it would be more popular for MS to offer a Windows 7 downgrade program for the entire life of Windows 8.

I agree, I think its going to be how people wanted to go to XP instead of vista. I see windows 8 being a vista 2.0.

Think of all the cool things a touchscreen centric OS can do. Remove anything you'd be slowed down with a mouse for or anything you had to manage or control yourself.

Now take away the touchscreen and hide all your shit.

Welcome to Windows 8.

You're crushing my dreams here! CRUSHING THEM!

That outburst aside, thank you for the heads up. I guess I'll go find the Win 8 preview and horrify myself in realtime.

They have to charge home user's since they know businesses are not gonna touch Win8 with a 12 foot poll!!!! Watch MS stock bomb when Win8 releases!!!

Meh! been using w8 cp since it was released ... once you get on the desktop you can do everything you could in w7 or vista. It's not has bad as ppl suggest.

You'd think ppl were comparing going from w7 to an early version of linux.
It isn't as bad.

You can customize the metro start to only have what you want... tho theres no start on the desktop (unless app comes out). Windows key brings the metro up with all the programs u customized and use the most. Honestly it balances out.

Some pc users never like change :D ;;flame on;;

Meh! been using w8 cp since it was released ... once you get on the desktop you can do everything you could in w7 or vista. It's not has bad as ppl suggest.

It isn't as bad.

You can customize the metro start to only have what you want... tho theres no start on the desktop (unless app comes out). Windows key brings the metro up with all the programs u customized and use the most. Honestly it balances out.

A cool so if I upgrade I can kinda do what I used to do before without jumping through 9 hoops.

Cool.

Usually I am a huge fan of new windows OS's coming out but honestly this one I am just meh. I really feel like they alienated a ton of user base to optimize the tablet experience. :/

Usually I am a huge fan of new windows OS's coming out but honestly this one I am just meh. I really feel like they alienated a ton of user base to optimize the tablet experience. :/

Recently Ubuntu and Google had a session about how much Google loves Ubuntu. Though one thing Google didn't like was Unity, which they just replace it with some other UI called xmonad. Claiming that it productivity.

I consider Unity to be much better then Windows 8. I see it as a crummy version of the Mac OSX UI.
http://www.ubuntuvibes.com/2012/05/how-google-developers-use-ubuntu.html

Hopefully they push back Win7 EOL date like they did WinXP. That and I think I'll buy some extra licenses of 7 for future builds. Never tried Win8 and I doubt I will.

Hopefully they push back Win7 EOL date like they did WinXP. That and I think I'll buy some extra licenses of 7 for future builds. Never tried Win8 and I doubt I will.

Support is said to last until 2020, how long you will be able to buy it in stores I have no idea.

Win 8 is stupid, too much change for ordinary users

Actually it's too much change for power users. If I use my computer to actually get shit done, windows 8 is a downgrade. Twice as many clicks to accomplish half as much.

For "ordinary users" or "special needs" users, windows 8 is great. It's like putting training wheels on a tricycle. They'll still be able to find the internet button to get on facebook. Angrybirds has a prominent icon. What else do they need?

Actually it's too much change for power users. If I use my computer to actually get shit done, windows 8 is a downgrade. Twice as many clicks to accomplish half as much.

For "ordinary users" or "special needs" users, windows 8 is great. It's like putting training wheels on a tricycle. They'll still be able to find the internet button to get on facebook. Angrybirds has a prominent icon. What else do they need?

I agree with this fully. People who actually know how to use a computer/OS get screwed and it takes longer to do simple tasks. It seems like a lot of times each subsequent release of most software gets dumber and dumber, they are obviously building it for the lowest common denominator. I guess it makes sense though, that's where the money is - doesn't mean I need to like it though.

Twice as many clicks to accomplish half as much.

For business this is a HUGE issue.

I'm still supporting an old custom legacy app, because anything we've found to replace it would take twice as many "clicks" to do the same thing. Too much of a hit on productivity, or spend way too much to write another custom app.

Actually it's too much change for power users. If I use my computer to actually get shit done, windows 8 is a downgrade.

If one is working on a computer they are typically spending most of their time inside an application and those applications work the same way in Windows 8 as they do in Windows 7.

I've been using the Windows 8 DP and CP everyday on a keyboard and mouse desktop, convertible Tablet PC and x86 since the day of their release. Metro does have some mouse issues with mutli-monitor setups due to the hot corners not being in the corner but otherwise I'm having no issue being as productive in Windows 8 as in Windows 7.

It isn't as bad.

I agree with you, and i bet you most people complaining about Wn 8 haven't even used the preview and were the same people who hated Vista and swore they would stick with XP FL!

If you account for shipping and handling it's never been free. Either way, so few people do it anyways, it's just like rebates where 95% of them are never claimed.

I agree with you, and i bet you most people complaining about Wn 8 haven't even used the preview and were the same people who hated Vista and swore they would stick with XP FL!
Yep, they stuck with XP, or limped along with Vista, till Win 7 became available.

Funny how that works.

Let see
Windows 95 = Winner
Windows 98 Frist Edition = Failed
Windows 98 Second Edition = Winner
Windows Millennium Edition = Failed
Windows NT 4 Workstation = Winner
Windows 2000 Professional = Winner
Windows XP = Winner
Windows Vista = Failed
Windows 7 = Winner
Windows 8 = Failed

Let see
Windows 95 = Winner
Windows 98 Frist Edition = Failed
Windows 98 Second Edition = Winner
Windows Millennium Edition = Failed
Windows NT 4 Workstation = Winner
Windows 2000 Professional = Winner
Windows XP = Winner
Windows Vista = Failed
Windows 7 = Winner
Windows 8 = Failed

*Note, WinXP was widely considered a Fischer-Price OS...and was note viewed pleasantly until Service Pack 1. Calling it a "Winner" glosses over a great deal as when it came out no one wanted to give up their Win2K, only post-SP1 did people come to like it.

Have installed and used and disliked both the previews, used vista since release and had no problem with it (because I didn't install it on shitty hardware) and was glad to get rid of the over saturated green and blue monstrosity. :p

What are you talking about? My god the delusion is high in this one. You are not losing ANY productivity going to Windows 8.

I have the win 8 preview installed on my Laptop and I dislike it. It seams like a step backwards to me. It works fine but I just cant seam to like it. Hopefully I will be able to get laptops with downgrades to win 7 for the next couple of years. Unless Sp1 for Win 8 improves things.

Same. Tried Win 8 for a while when the Consumer Preview came out. I did not like it. The whole thing felt like they were going for "Awesome tablet feel ya baby!" but instead it just ended up as, "Mouse? What's a mouse? No one uses those anymore!"

Have installed and used and disliked both the previews, used vista since release and had no problem with it (because I didn't install it on shitty hardware) and was glad to get rid of the over saturated green and blue monstrosity. :p

I agree, i used win 8 preview for about 2 weeks on my asus 1215n netbook, and i dont like metro, seems like a waste of space for me, so i just pinned my apps to the task bar and was done with it, never had to look at metro again.

people make windows 8 out to be like metro is being force to be used for every task you want.... when it really isnt.

Not sure why people bash vista but like win7. After sp1, vista was great, and win7 is just a refined version of that.

Back