• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Recent content by pjchappy

  1. P

    Modular server build, with SAS external enclosure

    Due to a product promotion, I may just pull the trigger on the following LSI controller now: 9211-81. However, I probably wouldn't get the remainder of the system for a couple months. If you read the posts above, I since decided an 8 drive array (if I could use 3TB drives) would suit my...
  2. P

    Potential tower enclosure - for 15 drives

    On the slim chance I get this case, I definitely would replace the PS. I would likely end up doing the same if I got the Addonics case.
  3. P

    Potential tower enclosure - for 15 drives

    I am just looking into case options. In another thread, I mentioned the only suitable tower I found (basically, the only bare-bones tower I found for just HDs with a small footprint) was the Addonics Storage Tower IX. The case from the pictures above is advertised as a 9-bay optical drive...
  4. P

    Potential tower enclosure - for 15 drives

    There's no reason this 9-bay tower wouldn't work for a 15 drive tower, is there? (Using 5-bay HD trays/enclosures). Just for the HDs. . .no server. It's about 17.3" x 7.5" x 16.7" Thanks, Paul
  5. P

    Server Basics - Question re Streaming vs. File Access

    Nothing, yet. I am just clarifying a few things before I jump into my first server build. I do plan on HD streaming, so I do know I'll need a decent processor for transcoding, encoding, etc. I may end up using a slightly undervolted and underclocked AMD 1055T (with maybe even 2-cores turned...
  6. P

    Server Basics - Question re Streaming vs. File Access

    OK, so it simply comes down to how I set up the server. I'm assuming then both scenarios could be true for the same server. So, I could just access a movie from my desktop PC and then stream a movie to an HTPC, correct? Thanks again, Paul
  7. P

    Server Basics - Question re Streaming vs. File Access

    Sorry. . .to clarify, I'm not asking if it always sits there streaming files. I mean, when I access a file using another networked PC from the home that is on the server's storage (say, a movie), will that movie be streamed to the PC or will that movie play from the server simply as if it is...
  8. P

    Server Basics - Question re Streaming vs. File Access

    Forgive me for this basic question. . . OK, say I have a home server loaded with movies. Does the server ever simply (or can it) act like an external hard drive for networked PCs? Or, does it always stream files? Thanks, Paul
  9. P

    Modular server build, with SAS external enclosure

    I will simply add SAS ports for connectivity, break-out cables and if I go for the expansion route, an expander card. The site itself doesn't have these, but the case has several punch-outs and room for all of this (and then some). Again, if I do get this case, I would just get the...
  10. P

    Modular server build, with SAS external enclosure

    packetboy - I have seen those SansDigital towerRAIDs. After thinking things over, I think I will go with a tower larger than and 8 HD capacity (such as the Addonics Storage Tower IX. This can hold 15 drives (via 3 5-bay units) and is 7.5" x 16.7" x 17.2". It costs $139 (empty, w/ just a PS)...
  11. P

    Modular server build, with SAS external enclosure

    I had already read that article and learned a lot from it. Thanks! Of course, the route suggested in your post would mean 2 cables going to the host per 4 drives and additional cards in the host (and more cables) for further expansion. I have considered that route, as I think it would take...
  12. P

    Modular server build, with SAS external enclosure

    I've been wanting an external storage solution for awhile. After plenty of research, I plan on going with an external SAS solution. I do not want a rack-based solution and am therefore going to build a mini-tower storage unit. This build will be for a future WHS home network (streaming...
Back
Top