• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Modular server build, with SAS external enclosure

pjchappy

n00b
Joined
Jul 24, 2011
Messages
12
I've been wanting an external storage solution for awhile. After plenty of research, I plan on going with an external SAS solution. I do not want a rack-based solution and am therefore going to build a mini-tower storage unit. This build will be for a future WHS home network (streaming, encoding/decoding and back-up). SAS is new to me, so I have several questions.


System Goals

Make a small, quiet, fairly energy efficient "modular" server unit with hot-swappable external storage. It will have to do HD encoding/decoding and streaming.


Case/Enclosure

I have extensively searched for a basic external enclosure for hard drive use (ideally, 8-bays). I do not want to use a typical mini CPU tower, as it is not compact enough. I found plenty of ready-made systems, such as this somewhat reasonably priced one from PC-PitStop, to this slick, pricey one from iStoreagePro. I know I could build one cheaper. However, up until earlier today, I couldn't find a single suitable case. I finally came across this today: Addonics (would get the bare-bones Tower IX and likely replace the PS). Does anyone have any experience with Addonics cases? Also, please let me know of any other similar case solutions you are aware of (again, compact, non-rack mountable). I have a feeling whatever case I end up with, I will probably be swapping out the fans for quieter ones.


SAS Expansion - Hard Drive Enclosure

At this point, I have no need to have this enclosure ready for SAS expansion (in terms of daisy-chaining another case). Regardless, the only way I am aware of making this work is with the Intel SAS expander or the HP SAS expander (and would need the appropriate power solution for the HP adapter, as the PS cannot simply plug into it, like the Intel unit).

It definitely seems SAS storage solutions for the home are a fairly niche market. The storage unit I plan to build (if using the 9-bay case above) will give me up to 27TB. Even maxing it out -- and even setting up either the Intel or HP expanders for future expansion via daisy-chaining -- I would have unused SAS ports on the expander. As such, I am wondering if there are expanders with fewer ports (therefore, likely cheaper) out there? For my solution, it would need to work like the Intel and HP, only needing to have power supplied to it (no need for data from an internal motherboard).


SAS Controller - Server Side

I would probably be comfortable just using pseudo hardware RAID. As such, I am looking for a fairly cheap 6GB HBA SAS host controller. All I truly need is 1 external mini-SAS 6GB port (or only 1 internal and use an adapter for external connectivity). The closest I found to this is the LSI 9211 (with the addition of an external adapter). I am definitely looking for more card suggestions, or even input on this particular card.


Hard Drive Bays

What are some recommended hot-swappable hard drive bays? I have little knowledge regarding the requirements of these bays for an SAS set-up (are there differences?). I will be using SATA drives, most likely WD Caviar Greens.


Server - Case

I am not exactly sure how I am going to build my server at this point. However, it will be small and may end up being a bit overkill. I say overkill, as I at least do not plan on an Atom based server, or something similar. As I mentioned, it will have to do some HD decoding/encoding and streaming. I am leaning towards the server being a Phenom II x4 build (pretty cheap. . .and may underclock and undervolt (and possibly even just turn a core turned off, if need be). We shall see. . .

Either way, I have been looking into small cases for the server. The server itself will just have the MB (w/ CPU and memory, of course), one HD, the SAS controller card, the PSU, a network card and a Blu-ray drive. I saw a couple Lian-Li cases I liked, but I would probably just use those for an HTPC build.

So, I am also looking for suggestions for a small mini-ATX (maybe even ATX) case. Obviously, with external storage, I do not need (and do not want) a big case. I want something small, quiet, not totally fugly and not rack mountable. I'm not too worried about this, as one shouldn't be too hard to find.

Thank you,


Paul
 
Last edited:
Here is the basic HP sas expander based DIY enclosure w/ power. It would be pretty easy to put the internals in another enclosure. What about using the chenbro mITX case then having external SFF-8088 ports for more storage?

One thing to remember is that cheap does not usually mean reliable. If you are looking for 8 or fewer per external chassis, just do a SFF-8088 cable to whatever you want and have a controller in the host system and then do SFF-8088 to SFF-8087 then breakouts from there. No need for an expander.
 
I had already read that article and learned a lot from it. Thanks!

Of course, the route suggested in your post would mean 2 cables going to the host per 4 drives and additional cards in the host (and more cables) for further expansion. I have considered that route, as I think it would take quite awhile to hit 24TB. However, I had worked out a few different scenarios/set-ups. Here are couple:


SAS - no expander

LSI Internal SATA/SAS 9211-8i 6Gb/s - $249.99

SFF-8088 cable x2 - $100.00+

Dual Port SFF-8088 to SFF-8087 Adapter (For the host) - $39.99

Dual Port SFF-8088 to SFF-8087 Adapter (For the HD enclosure) - $39.99
_______________________________________

Total: $429.97



SAS - with expander

LSI Internal SATA/SAS 9211-4i 6Gb/s - $169.99

Single Port SFF-8088 to SFF-8087 Adapter (Only used as the above card has no external connector) - $29.95

Intel RES2SV240 SAS Expander - $278.99

Dual Port SFF-8088 to SFF-8087 Adapter (For the HD enclosure) - $39.99

SFF-8087 cable x 2 (For the HD enclosure, including one for future expansion) - $39.98
_______________________________________

Total: $558.90


The LSI cards in both scenarios are basically the same, except one has only 1 mini-SAS ports, while the other has 2. Of course, I could spend more for hardware RAID, but that is not my concern. For less than $130 more, I can get expandability. However, laying this all out makes me just want to go ahead and get a bigger HD tower in the first place (16-bay, I guess). Soooo, I am definitely still up for suggestions for HD tower cases (non-rackmountable; small footprint -- see my first post).


Paul
 
I have one of these and use with my HP Expander:

Sansdigital TR8X-B

Google it on ebay, looks like they can be had for $250 used...$380 new.

Then use with LSI-9200-8e HBA (the external version of the 9211-8i)...about $300. You could initially use with no expander.


Trays are real cheap, but it works.

The iStorage SAS enclosure has the Areca SAS expander built right in, so if you went that way you wouldn't need an expander in your server, however, $1600 for an 8-drive enclosure..THAT is ridiculous. The Supermicro SC847 (two expanders and 45 drives), redundant power supplies, goes for $1600.
 
Last edited:
This isn't quite the same, but I recently built a DAS enclosure for an old IBM x3655 I got cheap (2x Opterons w/ 16 GB ECC). While the IBM had 6 SAS bays, issues with the disk controller and backplane kept me from using it (no IT or JBOD support and a bug limits SATA traffic to 1.5 Gbps).

Anyway I put an LSI SAS3801E in it and ran two Monoprice SFF-8088 cables from it to an Antec 300. I mounted a dual port SFF-8088-8087 adapter in one of the PCI slots (the adapter comes on a centronics-style plate, and I lack the tools to mill a proper PCI plate for it, so it's held in with washers at the moment). Monoprice SFF-8087-SATA breakout cables run from the adapter to the drives.

I bridged the necessary wires on the power supply so I could turn it on/off using the switch on the back (I'll eventually do something better, but this is working now).

Anyway the set up is working great, I'm using Open Indiana with a 4 disk raidz (4x 2TB 5k3000s) and a 2 disk mirror (2x 750 GB WD Greens).

I highly recommend the LSI HBA, they can be found on ebay (where I got mine) for ~$70.

In terms of the adapter, newegg had one that was about the same price as pc pitstop. Just make sure the adapter you get specifies SFF-8088 as the host port and SFF-8087 as device. I think I paid ~$40 for mine at newegg. I opted for 8088-8087 so if I ever switched to a case with a SAS backplane I could just use a standard 8087 cable.

Definitely get the cables from monoprice. They're significantly less than at newegg. I picked up two SFF-8088 cables and two SFF-8087 to SATA breakouts for less than the cost of one of newegg's SFF-8088 cables.

Edit: I should probably add that my goal was to add a modest amount of storage to my home network while minimizing cost and maximizing options (e.g. selecting parts that could be reused in other projects, making non-destructive changes, buying used, etc.). Also I held off on hot-swap, the Antec is easy enough to work in and I can shut everything down if needed. Next phase (once I reach the 12-disk max in the Antec) will be to move into something like a Norco or Supermicro.

- sgb
 
Last edited:
packetboy - I have seen those SansDigital towerRAIDs. After thinking things over, I think I will go with a tower larger than and 8 HD capacity (such as the Addonics Storage Tower IX. This can hold 15 drives (via 3 5-bay units) and is 7.5" x 16.7" x 17.2". It costs $139 (empty, w/ just a PS). See the 4th example from the left here for the 15-drive set-up: Storage Tower IX 15-drive. I keep referring to the Addonics as this is the only DIY solution I have come across that fits what I want.

The SansDigital comes with 8 individual bays, a PS, 2 Mini-SAS cables, and 2 external Mini-SAS connectors. It costs $399 (retail. . .as you mentioned, could probably find one cheaper). Other than the big "Sans Digital" emblazoned on the side of this, it is a good looking case, too. I especially like the front cover that opens. If it's anything like my Cooler Master Cosmos, that definitely helps to cut down on any noise.

With the Addonics Tower IX, I could build something that costs not too much more than the retail price of the Sans Digital (even more, of course, with the use of an expander); however, it does give me just under twice the storage potential.

I agree about the iStorage unit as being way too expensive. I was just using it as an example of one of the things I came across during my search for a case.

As I mentioned, Addonics has been the only bare-bones HD tower cases that I have been able to find. I'm hoping someone knows of some more bare-bones HD tower cases (small footprint; non-rackmountable). If it has a front cover/door (like the Sans Digital), that would be a plus, too. It seems like there has to be more bare-bones, DIY cases out there. . .
 
I'm confused...I see NOTHING on the Addonics page that mentions *SAS*...only Sata and Sata Port Multiplier. In your title you said you wanted a SAS enclosure (which I agree with BTW).

I initially built my storage server around Sata PM (I have like 6 5-drive Venus T5 enclosures)...Perhaps it works more reliably under Windows, but under Linux found sata hot swap under PM to NOT be very reliable. SAS works flawlessly....even when using consumer Sata drives.
 
I will simply add SAS ports for connectivity, break-out cables and if I go for the expansion route, an expander card. The site itself doesn't have these, but the case has several punch-outs and room for all of this (and then some).

Again, if I do get this case, I would just get the bare-bones case, which only comes with a PS (that I would probably replace). Maybe I could even talk them into selling it a little cheaper without a PS. . .


Paul
 
Due to a product promotion, I may just pull the trigger on the following LSI controller now: 9211-81. However, I probably wouldn't get the remainder of the system for a couple months.

If you read the posts above, I since decided an 8 drive array (if I could use 3TB drives) would suit my needs for quite awhile (vs. immediately worrying about using an SAS expander). Before I make this purchase, I have a few questions:

1. Are there issues with 3TB drives and this controller (I would likely flash to IT mode and would be part of a WHS 2011 server.)?

2. With the system not coming together for a couple months (if not a little more), should I just wait to make such a purchase?

3. Tied in with the last question, are there any known major upgrades in controllers within the next couple months that I should just wait for? (For very quick and simple background, this will be used for a home server and back-up system.)

Thanks,


Paul
 
Last edited:
1) No
2) Unless you're getting a "OMFG AWESOME DEAL" just wait.
3) N/A.
 
1. Are there issues with 3TB drives and this controller (I would likely flash to IT mode and would be part of a WHS 2011 server.)?

2. With the system not coming together for a couple months (if not a little more), should I just wait to make such a purchase?

1. my 3TB hitachi's work great in IT mode

2. wait, things will only get cheaper (especially the disks)
 
Back
Top