A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!
OK, say I have a home server loaded with movies. Does the server ever simply (or can it) act like an external hard drive for networked PCs? Or, does it always stream files?
Sorry. . .to clarify, I'm not asking if it always sits there streaming files. I mean, when I access a file using another networked PC from the home that is on the server's storage (say, a movie), will that movie be streamed to the PC or will that movie play from the server simply as if it is attached to an external HD on the PC? (Hope this clarifies what I'm asking. . .)
If you are using it as a file on a network share then you are not streaming. Streaming requires you to install software on the server and client to handle the streaming.
OK, so it simply comes down to how I set up the server. I'm assuming then both scenarios could be true for the same server. So, I could just access a movie from my desktop PC and then stream a movie to an HTPC, correct?
yes if you server can handel to stream to you HTPC when you also se a movie on you pc I dont think it will give you problems what cpu are you runing on it ?
Nothing, yet. I am just clarifying a few things before I jump into my first server build. I do plan on HD streaming, so I do know I'll need a decent processor for transcoding, encoding, etc. I may end up using a slightly undervolted and underclocked AMD 1055T (with maybe even 2-cores turned off).
The 1055T is in my current PC, which I plan on upgrading in a couple months. It would be a bit too much for HTPC duties, so I will either sell it or put it to use in a server.