Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.
I can say that in building my PCs, the number of times I've only upgraded the CPU is zero. At the point where I feel I need a new CPU, I probably also need more RAM and probably a new graphics card, and hey look they've increased storage capacity! Time for a new build.
As to the Intel vs AMD...
Reminds me of IBM trying to push Linux on POWER. Sure, they're running it and can probably get customers to run on their hardware but who else is going to jump on. Azure can help but if Microsoft is the only one really doing Windows Server on ARM, eventually the economics work out better to...
Not necessarily. If you look at the underlying reason of why those other architectures failed under Windows (software availability), the problem remains when Windows Server ARM comes out. You'll have a hardware platform that runs Windows with only a subset of all the Windows software...
Alternative architectures have worked well for Microsoft. Just look at Windows on Alpha, PowerPC, Itanium, and MIPS. Then there was Windows RT on ARM previously as well.
I'm a mech board fan. I particularly enjoy lighter linear switches like MX reds and will have a Hall Effect board from XMIT via MassDrop arriving shortly to try out. For me, they're simply more comfortable to type on - something I see most every day as I type on a rubber dome at work. They...
Interesting but it's a test of a single SQL query. That PC isn't going to be running a massive database of any kind with that configuration. I'd rather see a comparison to an Intel system that can run a large database and do some real-world tests. That would provide more beneficial results...
Not so far, though I've mostly been delved in Puppet work for automating a bunch of software installs and configurations. Someone on the team may have run into that and I just didn't hear all the details. I was the lucky one when we had the engineer on site that was plugging in twin-x cables...
It's typically not the techs we have issue with though that one was definitely an interesting situation. It's more things like FIs failing when trying to do firmware updates and firmware updates in general not going well even when we've got Cisco people on hand.
I'm curious, what are you using it for? We were trying to use 3par years ago for a couple servers with clustered file systems and ended up with so many problems with it that giving people 3par storage became a threat at work. Yet I talked to some other people that had used it with no problems...
UCS. Oh hey, you're back-rev'ed on firmware. Let's update you.... except that will require two updates.
And we get an FI that fails. Next time, the engineer on site replacing the FI has some of the twin-x cables plugged in upside down (confirmed later by another tech). We never made it to...
Hell, we had a nice quantity of OSes running for a while. AIX, Linux, Solaris, and HP-UX along with the other stuff. Got rid of HP-UX since that was, fortunately, only a single app that migrated off an HP 3000. It's now on Linux.
These days the vast majority of my time is spent dealing with...
Tapes. Ugh. Somewhere in the data center is a Sun Ultra 60 still on Solaris 8 that runs ACSLS to handle tape robotic arm duties for whatever tape unit we've got left for legacy stuff the business said we just had to keep.
I wish we could say that. Regardless of OS (Linux / RHEV, VMWare, Windows, AIX, Solaris). They all have the potential for (and have experienced) problems during many a filer failover. The worst part is that it's inconsistent and NetApp's not been able to really hone down a solution to the...