Z170/Z270 don't support Coffee Lake (ASRock Tweet)

Yeah. F u intel. Next cpu and platform will be amd for me. They've promised prolonged support for am4.

I don't like the idea of this. But, how often do people upgrade CPUs without upgrading the motherboard anyway?

In the nearly 20 years since I started building my own computers I can't think of a single instance where I only upgraded the CPU itself.

Gotta agree with you.

I'm in the same boat.

If I'd had a choise would not have upgraded my Z77 motherboard to Z270. Not a single Z270 chipset feature was of use to me (when compared to Z77), I do not even plan to upgrade my SSDs to NVMe until they die because there is no real world differences in speed in things
I do with PC. So it was just an added expense to buy another motherboard when upgrading to new CPU. I would have upgraded to Ryzen but I extensively use emulators so intel is pretty much the only choise as IPC and clock speed are essential for emulators.

Eh.. kind of sad but just hope the new boards are not that expensive. I'm on a i7 2600 and willing to upgrade. Have no problems personally since I have to buy a new mobo anyway I guess, lol

If they were launching the Z390 right away this wouldn't really bother me. Forcing Z370 down the throats of any early adopters is gross though.

I don't like the idea of this. But, how often do people upgrade CPUs without upgrading the motherboard anyway?

In the nearly 20 years since I started building my own computers I can't think of a single instance where I only upgraded the CPU itself.

Well now, I just did it. Bought Pentium G3258 plus MSI MATE for $100 bundle deal, tossed it in a spare machine, which later ended-up in the closet. Early this year when my 2500k died, I used this machine to verify the rest of the parts worked, and then bough a closeout 4790k for that same Microcenter.

I also upgraded my Slot 1 BH6 from a Celeron 300a 450o a Celeron 533a at 800. IT was an almost doubling of performance for the cost of $110 for the CPU and 30 for the slotket. A new i820 motherboard with Rambus would have cost triple that.

This will be Intel's first chipset with support for 2 to 6 cores, so having a massive upgrade path is a real thing. And we're sticking with DDR4 and 95w TDP for some time, so I just don't understand why we can't go back to a long-term supported socket.

It's not like pin counts have changed drastically, even with the transition from DDR3 to DDR4. And these sockets where there's just 1-2 pin count difference in the name are just getting fucking confusing.

Last edited:

Yep, its a nice option. But the amount of people doing it is counted in a single decimal percentage.

If CFL isn't working on 100/200 series its only due to firmware/BIOS and nothing else. And dont think its Intel that controls this alone, OEMs and mobo makers got a big saying in this.

This may also mean mobo makers and OEMs want to implement IMVP9 instead of IMVP8 on 300 series boards for the VRM spec and do a clean cut. SKL, KBL is 8, CFL is 8 and 9, ICL and TGL is 9.

Last edited:
Exactly - maybe AsRock HAS no interest in Z270 themselves (despite this same company and others on the bottom-end traditionally doing so more than the top-flight motherboard makers, such as ASUS)?

How often do folks upgrade the CPU alone? Quite a few do (in fact, I did exactly that - twice); the only times I didn't was when the motherboard itself went or was passed down. I even upgraded the motherboard itself alone once - because IT went, but nothing else did (ASUS P5N-HDMI->ASUS P5-G41T-M). With that latter motherboard, I upgraded the CPU itself twice since (E1200->E3400, then E3400->Q6600 later on - dual-core sans VT-X->dual-core with VT-x->quad-core. Motherboard failure (due to PSU failure) forced the changeout (from G41->H81). I already had 8 GB of DDR3 due to originally planning to go to LGA1155 (I was not thinking LGA1150 at the time I bought it due to that chipset not being available at the time I purchased the RAM). LGA1150, barring CPU pulls, is no longer an option - which means DDR4 - like it or not - will be my ONLY choice going forward.

This is a real kick in the nuts for those planning to upgrade from an i5. Sorry, but Intel motherboards are NOT cheap.
AMD will be happy to take your money for your 6 core and greater needs. It just keeps getting better with age:
https://www.techspot.com/review/1457-ryzen-7-vs-core-i7-octa-core/

Better with age? Slower, not cheaper etc. Sure thing ;)

If you want the gamer king you get a 350$ 8700K. No Ryzen can even get close to it. Not even remotely close.

And that review is quite flawed isn't it. Just as hardware unboxed.

https://nl.hardware.info/reviews/74...intel-core-i7-7800x7820x-vs-amd-ryzen-7-1800x
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...view-core-i9-7900x-i7-7820x-i7-7800x-i7-7740x

I am copying Actaeons post on this:

Hardware.info has the 7800x faster or equal to the 1800X at every game they tested, averaging out to 12.7% faster in gaming overall.
In GTA V, Techspot shows the 7800x as being 2-3% slower than a 1600 but hardware.info shows the 7800x as being 6 to 15% faster than the 1800X.
  • In BF1, Techspot shows the 7800x as being less than 1% slower than a 1600 but hardware.info shows the 7800x as being 17 to 31% faster than the 1800X.
  • In Doom, Techspot shows the 7800x as being 10% slower than the 1600, but hardware.info shows the 7800x being equal to the 1800X.
  • In RoTR, Techspot shows the 7800x as being 12% faster than the 1600 but hardware.info shows the 7800x being 16-18% faster than an 1800X
Digital Foundry showed that the 7800x was faster in every game they tested than a Ryzen 1800X OCed to 4.0.
  • In Farcry Primal, Techspot showed that the 7800x was 3% slower than a 1600 @ 4.0ghz, but Digital Foundry shows the 7800x being 15% faster than an 1800X @ 4.0ghz
  • In The Division, Techspot showed that 7800x was equal to a 1600x @ 4.0ghz, but Digital Foundry shows the 7800x being 5% faster than an 1800X @ 4.0ghz
Latest bigger title reviewed:
http://gamegpu.com/mmorpg-/-онлайн-игры/fortnite-test-gpu-cpu

Already below Sandy Bridge clock for clock.
fortnite.png

Last edited:
First off, where did you get that $350 price or are you speculating.
I agree that the 8700k will be faster in games than the 1700, but with Agesa 1.0.0.6 and 3200 mhz ram, those performance drops for the 1700 are not going to be that significant. Alot has changed in 6 months.

First off, where did you get that $350 price or are you speculating.
I agree that the 8700k will be faster in games than the 1700, but with Agesa 1.0.0.6 and 3200 mhz ram, those performance drops for the 1700 are not going to be that significant. Alot has changed in 6 months.

Same place as I got the clocks way ahead of the leaks. But why do you think it will cost more? Price segments dictate, not SKUs. Its been the prices for the last 10 years or so.

Yesyes, a lot has changed...just wait...#waitforamd and keep waiting. #waitforzen+, #waitfornavi, #waitfor SMT/ucache/VME/FMA bugs to be fixed.

Nice Russian link. Must have got your panties in a bunch for you to dig that onee out.
Could you translate any of the system specs for us? Ram speed and bios for the Ryzen.

Same place as I got the clocks way ahead of the leaks. But why do you think it will cost more? Price segments dictate, not SKUs. Its been the prices for the last 10 years or so.

Yesyes, a lot has changed...just wait...#waitforamd and keep waiting. #waitforzen+, #waitfornavi, #waitfor SMT/ucache/VME/FMA bugs to be fixed.
But a lot has improved with changes in the last six months. Your post just stinks of ridiculousness.

I went xp1800 to xp3200, Athlon x2 6000 to a phenom x4, and phenom ii 975 to fx 8350 on three separate amd boards. I wanted to upgrade my 6700k to an i7 8 series but looks like I may have to go ryzen2

Well, I still have node 202 with z270 board which can utilize 6700k after I'm done with it in my main rig, but I certainly won't rush to intel when an upgrade for main setup will be planned. For pure gaming and ordinary tasks there's no reason to switch from 6700k/7700k if you already have one at the moment. Both are still edging out 1600 and 1700 amd chips. As I got my skylake in 2015 I'm not that pissed. But if I bought 7700k earlier this year - I would've.

I can say that in building my PCs, the number of times I've only upgraded the CPU is zero. At the point where I feel I need a new CPU, I probably also need more RAM and probably a new graphics card, and hey look they've increased storage capacity! Time for a new build.

As to the Intel vs AMD discussion, I'm reluctant to go back to AMD. I've been contently stable on Intel with my aging 2500k whereas ever AMD cpu starting with a 400Mhz chip has had problems of one kind or another. Ryzen sounds tempting but I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger given my previous luck with AMD.

I can say that in building my PCs, the number of times I've only upgraded the CPU is zero. At the point where I feel I need a new CPU, I probably also need more RAM and probably a new graphics card, and hey look they've increased storage capacity! Time for a new build.

As to the Intel vs AMD discussion, I'm reluctant to go back to AMD. I've been contently stable on Intel with my aging 2500k whereas ever AMD cpu starting with a 400Mhz chip has had problems of one kind or another. Ryzen sounds tempting but I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger given my previous luck with AMD.

Funny you mention it:
https://community.amd.com/thread/215773?start=525&tstart=0

SMT and Opcache still broken. Not to mention VME etc.

Well, I still have node 202 with z270 board which can utilize 6700k after I'm done with it in my main rig, but I certainly won't rush to intel when an upgrade for main setup will be planned. For pure gaming and ordinary tasks there's no reason to switch from 6700k/7700k if you already have one at the moment. Both are still edging out 1600 and 1700 amd chips. As I got my skylake in 2015 I'm not that pissed. But if I bought 7700k earlier this year - I would've.

I was thinking something similar. The OCed i5 2500K has lasted 6 years and I probably won't upgrade that until sometime next year. Any z270 compatible CPU you buy today will last for at least this long as a gaming machine.

Update on this: AsRock has since deleted their tweet and not responded to requests for comment. Maybe it's not set in stone after all.

I doubt they deleted it because it was wrong. Asrock would benifit from no backwards compatibility.
More likely, it was deleted because Intel bitched them out and were afraid that a few would choose Ryzen over CFL because of this.

It could also have been true at one time and then was decided against. It could be that Genghis Kahn and Tupac kicked down the door to the AsRock engineering facility and began to fart everywhere until the staff agreed to looking into backwards compatibility. It could be that the AsRock employee who replied was a low-level know-nothing or that, unconfirmed, they were just playing it safe.

C'mon guys. Of course it means nothing. This is pre-launch speculation. At this point, Intel could be ramping up a factory to stuff the Coffee Lake retail boxes with ham sandwiches. Tiny ham sandwiches.

Back