production vm storage?

Looking at you, HP Gen9 hardware and RHEL 6 with you driver/firmware updates in the last few weeks! Having 5 Splunk servers simultaneously shit themselves and reboot every few minutes after that, doing kernel panic's and resetting each time, isn't tremendous amounts of fun.

Know the feeling. Dealing with this in my UCS platform.

Know the feeling. Dealing with this in my UCS platform.

UCS. Oh hey, you're back-rev'ed on firmware. Let's update you.... except that will require two updates.

And we get an FI that fails. Next time, the engineer on site replacing the FI has some of the twin-x cables plugged in upside down (confirmed later by another tech). We never made it to the firmware updates due to time lost on the FI issues.

Come to think of it, I think we've had two FIs fail thus far.

I actually like the product but it can be painful at times.

We're on 3par and love it. About to buy another one for second datacenter.

Looked at EMC, NetApp, and Compellent. In the end it was between 3par and compellent and one of the deciding factors was 3par's veeam integration since we already used veeam.

I'm curious, what are you using it for? We were trying to use 3par years ago for a couple servers with clustered file systems and ended up with so many problems with it that giving people 3par storage became a threat at work. Yet I talked to some other people that had used it with no problems. May have been our setup not really being as compatible as we were lead to believe.

UCS. Oh hey, you're back-rev'ed on firmware. Let's update you.... except that will require two updates.

And we get an FI that fails. Next time, the engineer on site replacing the FI has some of the twin-x cables plugged in upside down (confirmed later by another tech). We never made it to the firmware updates due to time lost on the FI issues.

Come to think of it, I think we've had two FIs fail thus far.

I actually like the product but it can be painful at times.

That's too bad. I've personally deployed over 100 UCS environments and have had almost zero problems with the product. Sounds like you may have gotten some subpar techs.

once again i appreciate your feedback

guys you use xyz for your datacenters but what are you going to use for remote smaller sites? still xyz you name it?

Our remote sites all have miniscule work loads for their local storage and easily get by on equal logics at my present job. At my next job (starting in a few weeks), remote sites are almost entirely VDI, so no local mass storage for them.

Running 3 dell compellent's at each of my 3 locations with poweredge R720's and brocade Fiber Channel every since 2012 or so. I love my compellents

That's too bad. I've personally deployed over 100 UCS environments and have had almost zero problems with the product. Sounds like you may have gotten some subpar techs.

It's typically not the techs we have issue with though that one was definitely an interesting situation. It's more things like FIs failing when trying to do firmware updates and firmware updates in general not going well even when we've got Cisco people on hand.

It's typically not the techs we have issue with though that one was definitely an interesting situation. It's more things like FIs failing when trying to do firmware updates and firmware updates in general not going well even when we've got Cisco people on hand.

Have you found the Out of order frame bugs when doing any cable/sfp/FI replacement or reseat yet? Those are fun in FC/FCOE environments with ucs. Don't get me wrong, I've loved Ucs and I work with it everyday. We've hit some nasty bugs with it though. Cisco support is always helpful and gets us taken care of promptly

I'm curious, what are you using it for? We were trying to use 3par years ago for a couple servers with clustered file systems and ended up with so many problems with it that giving people 3par storage became a threat at work. Yet I talked to some other people that had used it with no problems. May have been our setup not really being as compatible as we were lead to believe.

Using it for vsphere and for block storage on windows servers.

We have three tiers and the AO feature works really well.

Have you found the Out of order frame bugs when doing any cable/sfp/FI replacement or reseat yet? Those are fun in FC/FCOE environments with ucs. Don't get me wrong, I've loved Ucs and I work with it everyday. We've hit some nasty bugs with it though. Cisco support is always helpful and gets us taken care of promptly

Not so far, though I've mostly been delved in Puppet work for automating a bunch of software installs and configurations. Someone on the team may have run into that and I just didn't hear all the details. I was the lucky one when we had the engineer on site that was plugging in twin-x cables upside down, though. So there's that.

We're dropping FC and going NFS on NetApp in pods. That's been an easier environment to deal with than FC mostly because of our bad luck with NetApp failovers with FCP.

Back