Recent content by GV00

  1. G

    Memory suggestion for Rampage Extreme V E10 & 6850K

    So I'm building a new box, and I've got a Rampage Extreme V Edition 10 coming to roll with a 6850K. It's going to last me quite a long while, but I'm okay with spending some coin on it right now. My initial impulse was just to go nuts and get 128 GB, worse cast is I toy with a RAMdisk (I might...
  2. G

    Best current case for dust filtration?

    So I'm planning on building a desk for primary air filtration (enclosed with a big HVAC-style filter raised several inches off of the floor, with fans pulling air through it) that I'll be putting my PC in eventually. I'd intended just to build the PC into the desk itself, but the more I look at...
  3. G

    128 GB DDR4 question

    I'm working on a build and it's increasingly looking like this will be a question I'll need to answer as well. It's looking like I'll go X99, and my mindset tends to be "If it's there, fill it up" so I was figuring I'd just roll out a 128GB kit and call it good. I probably won't upgrade for...
  4. G

    Best LGA 2011v3 HSF?

    I'm looking at building a new system from scratch, and it's looking like it'll likely be based around a 6850K. I'm not willing to go for water cooling, and though I briefly looked at sealed water loops the short pump life (3 years or so seemed about the norm) made them seem like they weren't...
  5. G

    VM for multi-workstation segregation / parts suggestions?

    I'm fine with it needing some tinkering. As I said, this isn't even close to a production system as far as the CAD stuff goes. The way it sounds to me, I'd be well served by building a VM server now, focusing on CPU/Mobo/RAM and getting a cheapo vid solution, then trying to upgrade when I've got...
  6. G

    VM for multi-workstation segregation / parts suggestions?

    Now that was helpful. If that's the biggest hurdle, that gives me info I can use -- go as cheap as possible on the vid card now and look at an upgrade in several months to something like that. I'm not going to be doing huge assemblies or anything anyway, mostly simple 1-off things with no moving...
  7. G

    VM for multi-workstation segregation / parts suggestions?

    Alright, so I'm clearly a newb here, yeah, but can you drop a brief explanation or link to a good one so I know why that's the case? Being told you can't isn't really the same as knowing why you can't, and it'd certainly help me plan things better in the future. Granted, this is a fairly minor...
  8. G

    VM for multi-workstation segregation / parts suggestions?

    I've actually got a 4U rackmount ATX case I'd prefer to put it in, and figure a build from parts is probably going to be better given my noise pollution requirements. What's the big fault with graphics-intensive applications via VM's? Just not set up to use the GPU in any optimized fashion on...
  9. G

    VM for multi-workstation segregation / parts suggestions?

    The problem is that the CAD use would be infrequent enough that it's not really worth building a dedicated box for. Maybe 6-10 hours a month for myself, the same spread across a few housemates. That's why I figured I might toss it on a VM and get better utilization of that hardware the rest of...
  10. G

    VM for multi-workstation segregation / parts suggestions?

    Two-parter, here. First of all, my idea is to build a VM box, probably with ESXi. I've got a few goals to meet with it. I'd like it to be able to run half a dozen Windows hosts concurrently, replicating a small lab-style network to allow me to develop my Windows admin skills a bit more...
Back
Top