Samsung PX2370

Guess what guys.
My 2370 quit working this morning.
Shut off right in the middle of a game.
No screen,no flashing blue led...dead as a doornail :(
Tried unplugging the psu for a 1/2 hour but it did not work.
V.card is ok (works with my old lcd) and will beep when you plug in the dvi cable (just no screen).

18 day's into my B.Buy purchase and no ext.warrenty.:mad:
I had BIG problems with a Samsung 46 HDTV and was a bit gun shy of buying
another Samsung product...Should have gone with my gut feeling and went with another brand.
Guess I am off to battle with best buys return dept...Any tips?:p

Wtf? thats crappy..I didnt buy an ext. warranty either, Samsung's warranty is 3 years parts & labor on this particular model but hopefully best buy will help you out...

Not very promising news tho, heck my FW900 CRT lasted 8 years.

B.B. hooked me up and replaced it.:D
Geek there said he had another one in the back that was not working.
Hope it was just a fluke.

You can actally take it back and best buy will honer the Samsung warenty for the full 3 years. So no real point in getting the best buy warenty other then if it cant be fixed they will let you swap it out for somthing new there.

I'm thinking of getting either the XL2370 or the PX2370.

XL2370: Previous posts seem to report better image quality on the XL2370 over the PX2370

PX2370: I do like the PX2370's styling a little better, but the wobbly stand worries me (seems to be even worse than XL2370)

Price-wise, I would pay about 40 usd more for the PX2370. And I've found a place with the XL2370 in stock.

All things said I'm inclined to the XL2370. What do you guys think? Is the image really better on the XL2370?

I'm thinking of getting either the XL2370 or the PX2370.

XL2370: Previous posts seem to report better image quality on the XL2370 over the PX2370

PX2370: I do like the PX2370's styling a little better, but the wobbly stand worries me (seems to be even worse than XL2370)

Price-wise, I would pay about 40 usd more for the PX2370. And I've found a place with the XL2370 in stock.

All things said I'm inclined to the XL2370. What do you guys think? Is the image really better on the XL2370?

You might read CNET's review of the PX2370, They make comparisons with the XL2370:
http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitors/samsung-px2370/4505-3174_7-34048108.html

Is anyone having wake issues with their monitor? I've got mine connected via HDMI and once it goes into power saver I can't get it to wake up. I have yet to try through DVI, so maybe that will help?

Is anyone having wake issues with their monitor? I've got mine connected via HDMI and once it goes into power saver I can't get it to wake up. I have yet to try through DVI, so maybe that will help?

I had issues when i had the PX2370 connected DVI and another monitor connected analog. Once i unplugged the analog, all has been good. Not sure if it is the monitor or the PC.

Question for those who owns this monitor. When you turn off your computer do you turn off the power button as well or do you leave it blinking. As for leaving it blinking, is there a downside to it?

Anyone else running into problems setting scaling options with this monitor?

I'm using a Nvidia Geforce 8800GT, and everytime I try to change the scaling options in the nvidia control panel, it always resets back to let the monitor handle the scaling.

I'm trying to compare this and the F2380MX side by side, and it works fine on the F2380.

Anyone else running into problems setting scaling options with this monitor?

I'm using a Nvidia Geforce 8800GT, and everytime I try to change the scaling options in the nvidia control panel, it always resets back to let the monitor handle the scaling.

I'm trying to compare this and the F2380MX side by side, and it works fine on the F2380.

I changed the scaling option to "Use nvidia scaling with fixed aspect ratio" a few days ago (to fix a problem with Plants vs. Zombies) and haven't had any problems with it resetting, using a GTX 480.

EDIT: Im curious on your impressions between both monitors, im guessing the FX2380 will have much better black levels but im worried about motion blur during gaming.

Last edited:
I changed the scaling option to "Use nvidia scaling with fixed aspect ratio" a few days ago (to fix a problem with Plants vs. Zombies) and haven't had any problems with it resetting, using a GTX 480.

EDIT: Im curious on your impressions between both monitors, im guessing the FX2380 will have much better black levels but im worried about motion blur during gaming.

I'm guessing it might be due to some issue of swapping 3 monitors around in short time, because it stopped working with the F2380 when I tried to give it another go.

As to the comparison of both monitors, I've decided on the PX2370. As you mentioned the motion blur was an issue and very noticeable for me, and I did not test it out on any really fast paced online fps. I had been playing Fallout 3 again recently, so I simply loaded my latest save (if you're familiar with the game, it was in the room with the Benjamin Button robot in the national archives) and simply slowly walking around and looking was blurry. Adjusting the the overdrive settings higher just created color banding if I were to look around faster. At the fastest setting it was hard to tell if the blur was gone or just covered up by the color banding.

While on the PX2370, even with overdrive on the lowest default setting, there was no issues with ghosting.

I had been previously using a viewsonic vx922 (a 2ms panel), and being used to that may have been a contributing factor however. I also tend to turn off motion blur in games, such as Mass Effect, so it might be a preference issue.

If you're purchasing from a big box store, they might let you take it home to try. I actually asked the sales person if he could demo so I could see the blur. However he said to just take it home to try, and return it if It wasn't acceptable.

I'm guessing it might be due to some issue of swapping 3 monitors around in short time, because it stopped working with the F2380 when I tried to give it another go.

As to the comparison of both monitors, I've decided on the PX2370. As you mentioned the motion blur was an issue and very noticeable for me, and I did not test it out on any really fast paced online fps. I had been playing Fallout 3 again recently, so I simply loaded my latest save (if you're familiar with the game, it was in the room with the Benjamin Button robot in the national archives) and simply slowly walking around and looking was blurry. Adjusting the the overdrive settings higher just created color banding if I were to look around faster. At the fastest setting it was hard to tell if the blur was gone or just covered up by the color banding.

While on the PX2370, even with overdrive on the lowest default setting, there was no issues with ghosting.

I had been previously using a viewsonic vx922 (a 2ms panel), and being used to that may have been a contributing factor however. I also tend to turn off motion blur in games, such as Mass Effect, so it might be a preference issue.

If you're purchasing from a big box store, they might let you take it home to try. I actually asked the sales person if he could demo so I could see the blur. However he said to just take it home to try, and return it if It wasn't acceptable.

Darn, as usual LCD models either have excellent motion and weak black levels, or excellent black levels with ghosting issues.

Im waiting for the day when they make a model that can do both properly but im starting to think its just an inherit flaw with the technology.

just picked up 2 px2370's for $206 each at bby. hopefully these workout well

Last edited:
Question for those who owns this monitor. When you turn off your computer do you turn off the power button as well or do you leave it blinking. As for leaving it blinking, is there a downside to it?

I usually turn it off if im leaving the house for work etc. but leaving it blinking wont hurt anything, it just means it's in standby mode (which uses very little power).

Just got this as an exchange because my Sammy 2493HM went away for service (bad DVI port) and came back damaged. They fixed the port but damaged the chassis. :mad:

I had to haggle with em. I got this PX2370, only thing they had on the shelf I was even remotely interested in. Then they're trying to pull the ol the exchange fulfills your service plan this new monitor won't be covered.... :rolleyes: So I point out that I paid 500 bucks for the 2493HM and this PX2370 is only 309 I should have a 200 dollar store credit, correct ? No, they say. You only get comparable technology. My reply is you don't have comparable technology so I think I should get the monitor and the remaining 2 years left on the service plan .... They finally relent and I leave fairly happy.

I get this home hook her up and ZOMG !! talk about bright ! :cool: I can feel my retinas burning ! :eek: Anyway, I was not really pleased about going from a 1920 x 1200 res screen to a 1920 x 1080 res screen, but it's not as much different from the old one as I thought it would be.

I absolutely love this monitor after some adjusting, didn't take much. I love how thin and light it is. Love the colors on it they just POP. It does both gaming and movies very nicely. Very pleased overall. Not overly fond of the control buttons being on the back of the unit but I can live with it.

Very nice little unit.

I'm wondering if anyone has noticed any defects in the finish of their monitors? Mine seems to have a scratch either on the back side of the clear plastic outer bezel, or on the black bezel under it in the top right. The reason I ask is, this is third monitor I've tried and they've all had the same scratch at the same area with the same orientation? Something wrong with the batch shipped to the stores in my area? (2 were from the same store, 1 from another).

I'm wondering if I should either return it and wait awhile to buy another one when a new shipment comes in, or look for a different monitor.

I'm wondering if anyone has noticed any defects in the finish of their monitors? Mine seems to have a scratch either on the back side of the clear plastic outer bezel, or on the black bezel under it in the top right. The reason I ask is, this is third monitor I've tried and they've all had the same scratch at the same area with the same orientation? Something wrong with the batch shipped to the stores in my area? (2 were from the same store, 1 from another).

I'm wondering if I should either return it and wait awhile to buy another one when a new shipment comes in, or look for a different monitor.

I checked mine and dont see any scratches. bought it in clovis, ca. (best buy).

This monitor is actually pretty impressive now that ive had a month to play with & tweak it.

I checked mine and dont see any scratches. bought it in clovis, ca. (best buy).

This monitor is actually pretty impressive now that ive had a month to play with & tweak it.

Thanks for the reply. I bought 2 from Best Buy (2 different locations) and 1 from Futureshop (owned by Best Buy), in Vancouver, Canada. All three of them had the same scratch. Maybe a machining error during manufacturing with this batch?

Overall the monitor itself is great. I guess I'll return it, and wait for a new shipment or something.

Thanks for the reply. I bought 2 from Best Buy (2 different locations) and 1 from Futureshop (owned by Best Buy), in Vancouver, Canada. All three of them had the same scratch. Maybe a machining error during manufacturing with this batch?

Overall the monitor itself is great. I guess I'll return it, and wait for a new shipment or something.

Can you take pics of the scratches? Im just curious how bad they are but im not seeing anything obvious when looking at mine.

I really like this monitor, but it seems to suffer from poor Quality Control.

I had some that leaked really badly from the bottom. However, once set up and adjusted, it looks incredible, and the response time is just amazing. I went from a CRT, and seriously, I can barely, if at all, notice the response time difference.

Overall, great monitor, just don't be afraid to bring it back if you don't like something and try another one out. It will give you the best monitor for your money and show Samsung they need to work on QC.

BTW, the one's the bled light for me were definitely brighter, and also tended to really wash out towards the bottom of the screen. I also had 1 dead pixel, but only 1 in like 5 of these things.

I have the same feelings. Really for a 300 dollar ($350 here in Canada), what is essentially a TN panel, I thought build quality would be pretty top notch. Its the most expensive as well compared to the other 3 LED back-lit screens I found (Benq, LG, and Acer).

And its really not that Samsung has bad quality from what I understand. I mean the F2380MX I tried had no problems. And the stand on that was amazing and rock solid compared to this. One the screens I tried had a slight tilt similar to what an earlier poster mentioned.

Here is some pictures of the scratch/mark -
http://img8.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=24257831.jpg

I went to look at the Display unit they had in 2 stores. And the one at Futureshop had the same problem. While the one at the Best Buy I went to didn't have this problem, although it had 2 stuck pixels in the middle of the screen :p

I mean otherwise, no ghosting that I can tell or input lag. Great colors from the factory (for those of us without a colorimeter). I can actually make use of the high brightness, since I'm situated right text to a window.

Not sure if I should just hold off a bit until they clear inventory and get a new shipment. Or buy a display model XL2370 instead for the same price (they offered to add a 2 year service plan for free). Maybe go with one of the cheaper 200 dollar non LEDs. Or to give that F2380MX another try?

It the warranty is three years parts and labor, is there any advantage to getting a best buy extended warranty?

Funny, never noticed the scratch but now that I know where to look I found it on my monitor too. Not a big deal as it doesn't affect the actual image display.

No, Best Buy honors manufacturer warranties meaning you can go take your monitor back to Best Buy for up to 3 years (if that is what the manufacturer warranty is).

I also noticed this one seems to have a slightly faster response time. It could be in my head but it seems to have less screen tearing on fastest (or banding, as many reviews incorrectly describe it).

For me, once I got a good one, I am really happy. I came from CRT, and color quality is fantastic (not quite perfect if you compare next to a CRT, but you don't notice otherwise. Response time is amazing too.

You have to attach the stand correctly for it to be even, not that you didn't, but I put the stand on slightly wrong and it made it uneven before I realized my mistake and corrected it. If your screen is good, I would keep the monitor. It shouldn't have a scratch on the frame, but so what?, if you bring it back you are likely to get a worse problem such as a dead pixel and you don't want to have to keep going back to exchange it.

Or you can make a stand and put the effort in to get a perfect one. This will also show Samsung they need to fix quality issues. Personally, I went that route, and I just ended up settling on one that was great, but not perfect. You are unlikely to get a perfect product unless the company has a desire to make it perfect.

Either way, when they are built right, they are fantastic, so I am keeping mine. Also, adjust the colors yourself and it looks a lot better.

I mostly agree with the CRT vs. comments, I'm coming from an FW900 CRT which I used for the last 5 years, The black levels could be a lot better but overall this LCD's extremely sharp 1080P output + VERY accurate color output make it an addicting display to use.

One other area I find this LCD to perform very good at is shadow details. (slightly better than my FW900 even).

Also after closer inspection I don't see any cosmetic scratches on the bezel so perhaps I got lucky there.

Last edited:
Its definitely not a line wide problem, as the display model they had didn't have the problem. And perhaps I am being overly fussy about that issue haha...

I think I'll wait awhile and try repurchasing, since I'm not in a hurry to replace anyways. This does seem to be the best overall monitor so far (at this price range anyways). Giving the F2380MX a chance to see whether the I can live with the slower response though.

So after owning these a few weeks I found a new quirk. If you change the Response Time setting to anything but 'Normal', you get severe banding(maybe tearing?) with any moving gradient. It sucks because you get more ghosting without it set to 'Faster/Fastest', and I'm also guessing the Pixel Response Time is no longer 2ms when changed to 'Normal'.

See pictures below for example of me moving a gradient around in Windows Photo Viewer.

normalh.jpg

Response Time Set to Normal

fastera.jpg

Response Time Set to Faster

60604877.png

Original Image

Last edited:
How do you get this? I don't notice this at all. My monitor may do it, but it certainly isn't noticeable, what can I do to replicate this?

How do you get this? I don't notice this at all. My monitor may do it, but it certainly isn't noticeable, what can I do to replicate this?

You can replicate it various ways but an easy way to do it is just to put your browser in a window so it only surrounds the Original gradient image in his post, then grab the window with your mouse and shake it left and right rapidly. I see the same effect he's demonstrating in the pictures but I haven't noticed it during normal viewing.

...grab the window with your mouse and shake it left and right rapidly.
You can drag it smoothly from left to right and notice it too, it's just not as pronounced.

And it's noticeable in real world content, just not in everything.

Some of the things that it's noticeable on:

• Left 4 Dead when looking at the flashlight beam, during movement I would see that it would break up just like in the pictures I posted
  • Watching a video and there was a dark scene with the headlights from a car projecting into fog
  • Windows 7 log-on screen when it fades in to the desktop, during the fade it would band instead of fading cleanly
  • Bloom effects in Killing Floor(Yes I like zombie games :p)
  • Fade to black in movies and games
  • Some light halo effects in video games

Basically anything that has moving, changing or fading gradients will do that. I'm just going to leave overdrive off and let my eyes adjust to the lower Response Times(I'd rather have that then banding).

Does this have anything to do with the really good response time of this monitor in combined with the fact it is a TN panel (6 bit color).

Perhaps all TNs do this at a high enough response time but in most other monitors, the response time is too slow and ghosting blurs the banding.

We may be complaining because the response time is so sick, when in reality this is a normal thing.

Of course, I have no idea what I am talking about, but I know that TN panels have 6 (not 8 bit) color which can cause banding. When moving an image really quickly, my guess is that what we are really seeing is the lack of true 8 bit color.

A way to disprove this would be to show another TN panel monitor with a really fast response time that doesn't ghost or band.

I mean if a TN monitor isn't ghosting under quick movement, my guess is it will band.

A way to disprove this would be to show another TN panel monitor with a really fast response time that doesn't ghost or band.

Go and ask some of your buddy's online or IRL to wiggle that gradient around, then ask them if the image broke up when doing it(Like in the pictures). If it did ask what screen they have, then check Google if its a TN panel.

To be honest I'm too lazy to do that, but if your up to it report back here and let us know. :p

So this effect is not present in the xl2370? Any idea why this is happening?

I just did this with mine, starting out slowing doing clockwise circles=nothing, then really fast and it was slight. So no its not the same for everyone. Also, other variables can play in this including GPU Drivers displaying the image. Basically it comes down to if you are really looking for something to bitch about with these monitors and you have the time to do all these tests, sure you will find something wrong if you are looking for it.

I also played the games the poster mentioned. Nah, its got to be driver related on his end. ;)

I'm mildly curious about this 'magic view' feature - does it fix the major failing of TN? i.e. can this monitor display a solid colour from top to bottom of the screen without exhibiting a visible colour shift? Usually with TN I see bright colour near the top, but the colour fades dramatically at the bottom - so even at normal 1.5'-3' viewing distance I find TN unpleasant.

if i type really hard / tap buttons on my desk the screen shakes, is there anyway to stop this? i thought it might be the stand but the part thats moving is the top were you can lean the screen back.

btw what was that thing at the bottom when you install it /screw and then the coin thingy that you have to flick to the other side. ?

Back