Looking for 27" LED recommendations - WQHD

So the AOC and the Viewsonic sound similar and the AOC is less expensive but yet it sounds like the Viewsonic is more "out of the box ready to go" without tweaking.

So the AOC and the Viewsonic sound similar and the AOC is less expensive but yet it sounds like the Viewsonic is more "out of the box ready to go" without tweaking.

Im actually going to revise my previous post a little. The color on my Viewsonic are not good at all. When I first opened it it was really yellow and I just figured I could adjust that out but after days of messing with the color setting I can't seem to get it right. Im wondering if mines screwed up, NCX said in his reviews that both the viewsonic and the 13" retina macbook are very accurate OOB, but I own both and they couldn't look more different sitting next to each other.

The reviews I've read indicate the AOC is just as ready to go out of the box. Honestly I don't really see an advantage the Viewsonic has right now, and this is coming from someone who just purchased one. That isn't to say the Viewsonic is a bad monitor, the AOC just sounds like the same quality for less cost.

Im actually going to revise my previous post a little. The color on my Viewsonic are not good at all. When I first opened it it was really yellow and I just figured I could adjust that out but after days of messing with the color setting I can't seem to get it right. Im wondering if mines screwed up, NCX said in his reviews that both the viewsonic and the 13" retina macbook are very accurate OOB, but I own both and they couldn't look more different sitting next to each other.

I don't own a retina MacBook Pro, so I cannot judge that. I do own an older 13-inch MacBook Pro and the Viewsonic VP2770. They both have good screens, but slightly different color temperatures. The Mac looks cool to me and the Viewsonic looks warmer.

When the two sit next to each-other it makes the Mac look blue and the Viewsonic looks more accurate and warmer, perhaps a little yellow. I think this is just the effect of having two monitors next to each-other that have a different color temperature. In my opinion the colors on the Viewsonic look better than the colors on my Mac. My Mac has always leaned towards the cool side of things, whites look a little blueish. I tried a Dell U2412M and that looked extremely yellow next to my Mac, so much so I sent it back. To me the Viewsonic looks very good. NCX's reviews mention that very few monitors whites look pure white, they often have a slight tone to them. Some may be blue, some maybe yellow. The effect will be more pronounced if you have two monitors with a different tint or temperature next to each-other (NCX correct me if I'm wrong).

If your Viewsonic is very yellow you may have a bad unit.

Last edited:
I haven't heard anyone say yet... has AOC been around for a while? I thought they were low end.

I don't own a retina MacBook Pro, so I cannot judge that. I do own an older 13-inch MacBook Pro and the Viewsonic VP2770. The Mac looks cool to me and the Viewsonic looks warmer.

When the two sit next to each-other it makes the Mac look blue and the Viewsonic look a little yellow. I think this is just the effect of having two monitors that have a different color temperature. In my opinion the colors on the Viewsonic look better than the colors on my Mac. My Mac has always leaned towards the cool side of things, whites look a little blueish. I tried a Dell U2412M and that looked extremely yellow next to my Mac, so much so I sent it back. To me the Viewsonic looks very good. It has a warmer tone than my Mac, but it looks more accurate to me.

If your Viewsonic is very yellow you may have a bad unit.

I've always preferred color temp a little on the cool side for normal desktop use. Believe it or not I have a Dell U2412M also on my windows computer. It was pretty cool temp wise OOB and way less yellow than the Viewsonic. I think all this proves is just how much extreme variation there is in the manufacture of LCD panels. So much variation in fact that I'm starting to think monitor reviews in general are a complete waste, when three examples of the same panel can all look very, very different, whats the point?

I think all this proves is just how much extreme variation there is in the manufacture of LCD panels. So much variation in fact that I'm starting to think monitor reviews in general are a complete waste, when three examples of the same panel can all look very, very different, whats the point?

All 3 displays (Mac, U2412, VP2770) use different panel types and have different color presets, color gamuts and garbage monitors like the U2412 have been proven to vary wildly in terms of preset color and contrast performance so I wouldn't be surprised if it has a 9000k preset color temperature.

Why not just use the VP2770's Cool color temperature settings? If one wants to make their monitors look similar, they will need to buy a colorimeter (color munkie or i1 display pro), but calibration can't make monitors look identical. Read Sailor_Moons post.

Last edited:
Just got off the phone with Jeffrey at PCM. Here's his offer on the VP2770:
  • $670
  • $15 s/h have to CO by Friday (he states)
  • Return with any pixel issues
  • No restocking fee if packaged back up nicely

He said the Eizo would be $899 + the $15. I guess the upside of the Eizo is dropping the response time from 12ms to 6ms and none of the glow. But we're talking another $230. I do like the idea of the 1.07 billion colors on the VP2770. But...maybe that won't matter much.

I will say l liked the OSD menu on that AOC.

I've always preferred color temp a little on the cool side for normal desktop use. Believe it or not I have a Dell U2412M also on my windows computer. It was pretty cool temp wise OOB and way less yellow than the Viewsonic. I think all this proves is just how much extreme variation there is in the manufacture of LCD panels. So much variation in fact that I'm starting to think monitor reviews in general are a complete waste, when three examples of the same panel can all look very, very different, whats the point?

The Dell U2412m, as NCX mentioned, is known for having wildly different color temperatures between revisions. You probably have one that was of the more cool, blue variety. It probably looks closer to the MacBook Pro because at one point the U2412 units also had a cooler temperature. The U2412m I had was ridiculously off the scale in the other direction and there were complaints about it online. The U2412m is a bad example though because it is known to have extremely different presets with different revisions. While no monitors are identical, you'll find other brands are probably more consistent between units.

I'm not saying you couldn't have a bad VP2770, it is always possible to get a bad unit that has a strange tint, but I have found mine to be very good. I haven't heard of many other VP2770s having a yellow tint issue, and it may just be you are used to a cooler screen temperature. Calibration is the only way to really get them closer, and even if both monitors are "accurate" they may look different in certain tones, such as on white colors.

Last edited:
Just got off the phone with Jeffrey at PCM. Here's his offer on the VP2770:
  • $670
  • $15 s/h have to CO by Friday (he states)
  • Return with any pixel issues
  • No restocking fee if packaged back up nicely

He said the Eizo would be $899 + the $15. I guess the upside of the Eizo is dropping the response time from 12ms to 6ms and none of the glow. But we're talking another $230. I do like the idea of the 1.07 billion colors on the VP2770. But...maybe that won't matter much.

I will say l liked the OSD menu on that AOC.

Just to clarify. Both monitors will have similar response times. Yes, the VP2770 and the EV2736W list different response times, but if you check out reviews they are very similar.

Also, unless you are using specific programs and workflows that use 1.07 billion colors, my understanding is it makes no difference. Both panels are actually only 8-bit, the Viewsonic uses FRC to make it 10-bit (1.07 billion color).

The real advantage of the EV2736W is that it maybe glow free, and you can find it cheaper else where. That is a good price for the VP2770. Don't forget the new AOC is a good option too. Really, they are all good monitors.

Just to clarify. Both monitors will have similar response times. Yes, the VP2770 and the EV2736W list different response times, but if you check out reviews they are very similar.

Also, unless you are using specific programs and workflows that use 1.07 billion colors, my understanding is it makes no difference. Both panels are actually only 8-bit, the Viewsonic uses FRC to make it 10-bit (1.07 billion color).

The real advantage of the EV2736W is that it maybe glow free, and you can find it cheaper else where. That is a good price for the VP2770. Don't forget the new AOC is a good option too. Really, they are all good monitors.

I have some Adobe software I use (ie: Photoshop) I would think would take advantage of the 1.07billion colors. Guess I'll have to look at what the FRC is. Apparently some software to interpolate to 10bit?

To better clarify the PCM deal on the VP2770:

• $670 for the ViewSonic VP2770-LED 27 monitor – this is brand new seal in factory package
• $15 s/h have to me by Friday
• Full refund with any pixel or monitor issues within 30 days
• No restocking fee if packaged back up nicely like original

I didn't find the Eizo for less (than PCM - $917, inc s/h) other than the used one at B&H. The PCM rep was weary of AOC.

8 bit+FRC PLS usually offers zero advantages (VP2770) over a regular 8 bit panel (EV2736W) since they still exhibit the same gray scale banding and banding in photos which most people never notice.

It is cheaper to buy the superior AOC for 550$ from Amazon with a 3 year Square Trade warranty than a VP2770. Adorama sells the EV2736W for 825$+shipping...this has been mentioned multiple times....Google Shopping.

The NEC PA302W is currently the only decent 30" in existence.

The measured pixel response times (if available) are listed in the thread I made...:rolleyes:

Linking to ebay pages? Why not post the model name/#...or better yet Google some reviews every time you find a new monitor to ask about.

Last edited:
Guy from PCM now has $54 of tax on top of his price. He's out of CA (in LA). CA charging internet sales tax?

Eizo looks like $865 with s/h from Adorama.

Item condition:
Used
“Please check Pictures for Scratches, also Item could have sign of normal wear and tear.”
Screen scratches plus wear and tear? Plus no mention of burned out or misfiring pixels, nor return policy?

You contacted the vendor from a large firm who sells monitors brand new and sealed in factory packages; then offers "Full refund with any pixel or monitor issues within 30 days". Also, the other vendors that NCX brought up would be more secure than what the Ebay offer portends.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
All 3 displays (Mac, U2412, VP2770) use different panel types and have different color presets, color gamuts and garbage monitors like the U2412 have been proven to vary wildly in terms of preset color and contrast performance so I wouldn't be surprised if it has a 9000k preset color temperature.

I don't mean different monitors, I know they have different panels. I mean the same monitor having extreme panel variations. I bet you could buy three dells and every screen would look different.

I don't totally hate warm screens, I just prefer cooler. And when I setup the Viewsonic to be cooler I have to make such extreme changes it messes with the color, it's that yellow. I had a U2711 last year, and while it had its problems, it had great pre-calibrated color, and the viewsonic is way more yellow/green than it was.

Now that I have a Mac desktop im thinking I may just go back to an ACD. I really wish they sold a non-glossy version.

Thanks for info on that AOC, I hadn't seen that. If I'm reading a couple of reviews right, it seems to just edge out the BL2710PT. Probably not a big marginal difference for my non-gaming needs, but $50 is $50, ha.

Ya...looks like the 12ms is not the GTG ms rating. Looking at the BenQ at NewEgg they have: "Reponse time: 12ms, 4ms (GtG)" which made me realize this. I thought it was interesting when the PCM rep was saying the response time on the VP2770 was 6ms.

Ya...looks like the 12ms is not the GTG ms rating. Looking at the BenQ at NewEgg they have: "Reponse time: 12ms, 4ms (GtG)" which made me realize this. I thought it was interesting when the PCM rep was saying the response time on the VP2770 was 6ms.

The best way to look at response time is to look a variety of reviews for each monitor. This can give you a better overall picture of the response time for each monitor as measured in the real world. I wouldn't follow quoted response times that are listed by the manufacturer. NCX also lists the response time for each monitor.

Sit rep on the VP2770: It's falling apart.

The good news is, I finally got the color calibrated to where I'm pretty happy with it, not too warm not to cold. The bad news is, its developing pretty bad light leak in the lower left corner, not glow, bleed. And a nasty white spot about 1/4" across in the bottom middle of the screen on dark images, almost looks like a cluster of stuck pixels. I give my screens a very thorough once over when I first get them and neither of those things where there OOB. I guess thats modern LCD build quality for you.

I just ordered the AOC that keeps getting recommended in this thread so ill report back about that, I do like this PLS panel. Obviously the Viewsonic is going back.

The good news is, I finally got the color calibrated to where I'm pretty happy with it, not too warm not to cold. The bad news is, its developing pretty bad light leak in the lower left corner, not glow, bleed. And a nasty white spot about 1/4" across in the bottom middle of the screen on dark images, almost looks like a cluster of stuck pixels. I give my screens a very thorough once over when I first get them and neither of those things where there OOB. I guess thats modern LCD build quality for you.

I just ordered the AOC that keeps getting recommended in this thread so ill report back about that, I do like this PLS panel. Obviously the Viewsonic is going back.

Drag about the ViewSonic. Ya...be good to hear about the AOC.

Too bad about the Viewsonic. Unfortunate that the bleed showed up right when you got the calibration correct. At least you know if you get another warm monitor you can calibrate it to something you like. Who knows, perhaps the AOC won't be as warm.

Too bad about the Viewsonic. Unfortunate that the bleed showed up right when you got the calibration correct. At least you know if you get another warm monitor you can calibrate it to something you like. Who knows, perhaps the AOC won't be as warm.

Yea. I think I could deal with some light bleed, I'm not using this for watching movies or gaming. But the light spot is just bizarre. Here I took a picture of the pixels with my macro lens, I mean seriously what the crap is that?

Yea. I think I could deal with some light bleed, I'm not using this for watching movies or gaming. But the light spot is just bizarre. Here I took a picture of the pixels with my macro lens, I mean seriously what the crap is that?

About a year ago there were a few complaints involving the VP2770 and perhaps some other PLS panels that showed small eraser sized bright patches on the screen. The best guess at the time was that something was creating a pressure point during manufacturing that shouldn't have been touching the screen, creating this patch of bad pixels. This was never confirmed. I haven't heard any complaints in over a year, so I'm surprised it is back, but it is probably just luck of the draw and something weird happened to your unit.

Do you know the manufacture date of your unit? It should say on the box if you still have it, near the bar-code.

Also - how did you find the spot? I want to double check my display to make sure it has no such mark, although extensive tests have not revealed anything like that.

About a year ago there were a few complaints involving the VP2770 and perhaps some other PLS panels that showed small eraser sized bright patches on the screen. The best guess at the time was that something was creating a pressure point during manufacturing that shouldn't have been touching the screen, creating this patch of bad pixels. This was never confirmed. I haven't heard any complaints in over a year, so I'm surprised it is back, but it is probably just luck of the draw and something weird happened to your unit.

Do you know the manufacture date of your unit? It should say on the box if you still have it, near the bar-code.

Also - how did you find the spot? I want to double check my display to make sure it has no such mark, although extensive tests have not revealed anything like that.

Manufacturer date 02/15/2014. I was watching a trailer on youtube and it was right there clear as day right below the picture in the bottom letterbox. It's always visible whenever that part of the screen is showing black. It isn't that noticeable with the room lights on, so it's possible I missed it on first inspection. But once the lights are off its very clear.

Manufacturer date 02/15/2014. I was watching a trailer on youtube and it was right there clear as day right below the picture in the bottom letterbox. It's always visible whenever that part of the screen is showing black. It isn't that noticeable with the room lights on, so it's possible I missed it on first inspection. But once the lights are off its very clear.

I'll take a look at mine. An interesting side note, you have the newest VP2770 manufacture date I've seen so far. Many of the current shipping units were from a November 2013 batch, including mine. I was wondering if they were going to wind down production, but it sounds like they are still producing new batches.

Any thoughts on the Tempest Overlord 27" monitors vs something like the Qnix/X-Star's? I want 96hz+ refresh rate and lowest delay.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I have not personally tested a Tempest. They are the same as the Yamakasi 2b OC. Meaning they are LG-IPS. The Samsung S-PLS panels in the Qnix/XStar units are supposed to have better looking sub pixels and fewer quality issues in general.

The internal circuit boards in the 2b OC should be pretty much guaranteed 120hz. The ones in the tempest line should be as well, but overlord is sold out of everything but A- panel units with really bad pixel defect policies. It would appear IPS pixels are slightly easier to overclock as well. The Qnixs I have received will do 100hz happily but not 120. It makes little difference to me. Qnix=300-400usd (I went through Amazon and paid 385 for guaranteed perfect pixel units that arrived from Korea in less than 2 days.)
Yamakasi catleap 2b =600-700
Tempest = 400 for a-

Edit: I'm seeing reports that even on the IPS monitors that do 120Hz, there is often a hissing noise and some light artifacting on occasion. I simply cannot recommend an expensive IPS that might get 15-20Hz more with no real benefit other than a very slight gain on blur reduction and the ability to avoid 3:4 pulldown at 120Hz... just like 96Hz. I can tell you that I'm picky (I've personally ordered FIVE Eizo FG2421's and only kept one) and I'm 2/2 on Qnix QX2710s, they are both keepers. Strangely, one is better than the other, which makes it a real find... and I scratched it slightly >< The one I scratched has a calibrated contrast ratio of 975:1, which is about as good as it gets for PLS/IPS. The other is a measured post calibration contrast ratio of 850:1 and while it's very hard to tell the difference, one can play with dark grays and browns a little bit better than the other.

Last edited:
When do you expect to have the AOC setup ?

I have not personally tested a Tempest. They are the same as the Yamakasi 2b OC. Meaning they are LG-IPS. The Samsung S-PLS panels in the Qnix/XStar units are supposed to have better looking sub pixels and fewer quality issues in general.

The internal circuit boards in the 2b OC should be pretty much guaranteed 120hz. The ones in the tempest line should be as well, but overlord is sold out of everything but A- panel units with really bad pixel defect policies. It would appear IPS pixels are slightly easier to overclock as well. The Qnixs I have received will do 100hz happily but not 120. It makes little difference to me. Qnix=300-400usd (I went through Amazon and paid 385 for guaranteed perfect pixel units that arrived from Korea in less than 2 days.)
Yamakasi catleap 2b =600-700
Tempest = 400 for a-

Edit: I'm seeing reports that even on the IPS monitors that do 120Hz, there is often a hissing noise and some light artifacting on occasion. I simply cannot recommend an expensive IPS that might get 15-20Hz more with no real benefit other than a very slight gain on blur reduction and the ability to avoid 3:4 pulldown at 120Hz... just like 96Hz. I can tell you that I'm picky (I've personally ordered FIVE Eizo FG2421's and only kept one) and I'm 2/2 on Qnix QX2710s, they are both keepers. Strangely, one is better than the other, which makes it a real find... and I scratched it slightly >< The one I scratched has a calibrated contrast ratio of 975:1, which is about as good as it gets for PLS/IPS. The other is a measured post calibration contrast ratio of 850:1 and while it's very hard to tell the difference, one can play with dark grays and browns a little bit better than the other.

So do you use your Qnix's for gaming or your Eizo FG2421 exclusively? I've always been a TN gamer and I'm unsure if I should jump on the IPS/PLS train.

Any alternatives to the Qnix or is it the 27" IPS/PLS to get for gaming for the money?

Last edited:
Received my AOC Q2770PQU and set it up today. No dead pixels, no bleed (that I can tell), very good color uniformity and brightness/contrast. It was ready to go from the box with no adjustments needed.
Many thanks to NCX for his recommendation. The monitor is great! My office has large windows and I cannot get it completely dark unless I work there at night, so that is the context under which I didn't notice any bleed.

Monitor was attached via DVI-D to a low-end Nvidia card (GT635, 1GB).

I've just been using a qnix for a bit. I prefer to only have 1 display on my desk. The Eizo fg2421 is more CRT like than any other LCD I've seen but it's still so far from ideal. I find the 27 inch qnix to be far more emersive and less distracting. I play a lot of older games that were made for 60fps and the Qnix makes them run great at 96hz. They do not look good on the Eizo at 120hz.

Just got my AOC setup. It's basically the same display as the vp2770, except with allot less bleed and was much happier with the oob color. The only problem is there is a big fat dead pixel right in the center of the screen. It's far to noticeable to ignore so ill probably exchange it. Otherwise the screen is great.

Seems somewhat common to have a problem when you receive one of these monitors.

Last edited:
Seems somewhat common to have a problem when you receive one of these monitors.

Yep, honestly it doesn't matter what you get. The panel lottery is basically something you have to play no matter what monitor you choose. Quality control sucks on monitors these days. Thats why I only buy from amazon, I don't even look at other retailers, they make it so easy to return I don't mind if they are a few bucks higher.

Yep, honestly it doesn't matter what you get. The panel lottery is basically something you have to play no matter what monitor you choose. Quality control sucks on monitors these days. Thats why I only buy from amazon, I don't even look at other retailers, they make it so easy to return I don't mind if they are a few bucks higher.

I predict your second AOC will be damn near perfect. That display seemed very very solid to me.

So it sounds like a better deal than the vp2770 if you can get one without an annoying dead pixel.

Just got my AOC setup. It's basically the same display as the vp2770, except with allot less bleed and was much happier with the oob color. The only problem is there is a big fat dead pixel right in the center of the screen. It's far to noticeable to ignore so ill probably exchange it. Otherwise the screen is great.

Back