Looking for 27" LED recommendations - WQHD

Any thoughts on the Tempest Overlord 27" monitors vs something like the Qnix/X-Star's? I want 96hz+ refresh rate and lowest delay.

Thanks.

Found this post today at the Overlord forum by ScribbyDaGreat:

"Posted Today, 10:37 AM
YUP! Just received an email late last night. Once signatures are in place by Monday - pre-orders will open with the following:

Tempest OC Models - Glossy - Grade A panels - everything as our current model.

Pricing: Pre-order special - $449.99 - ya that's right we are offering them with a $50 discount during a limited pre-order (due to the fact we have been out of stock so long - kind of a thanks for being patient).

Delivery date: 6-8 weeks which as always is mainly dependent on US Customs.

Email blasts will go Monday or Tuesday with final posting on the forums, webstore, and Facebook page.

Expect them to open up Monday or Tuesday."

I highly recommend this monitor! I got in on the December 2013 shipment and it's simply an amazing all around gaming monitor. I ditched my Samsung 120hz 1080p for this monster and haven't looked back.

Last edited:
Looks like they (overlord) make a multi-input version too which would directly compete with the Multi-input AOC that everyone's been talking about... I'm just so torn at what I should do because I would love to have a monitor that can do over 60Hz (with my next gaming rig) but I'd also like to have multi-input functionality so I can play my Xbox 360 and future PS4 on it... Pros and cons on both. I guess if I really had to I could sacrifice the multi-input functionality and hook up the current monitor to my xbox and place it in front of my future 1440p monitor. The reason why I'd do that is because I have a pretty nice 5.1 sound system that I would like to use for my xbox 360 gaming too and having the monitor off center of my 5.1 isn't optimal. Having to hook up my old monitor back whenever I want to play xbox and placing it on/off my desk is a little bit of a hassle though.

All of the Overlord monitors except for the matte OC model are sold old but pre-orders will be accepted for the glossy OC version soon. The Crossover 2720MDP is the only glossy, multi-input 1440p monitor with proper brightness controls while the rest either do not or have not been properly tested.

Last edited:
Fixed my post...still, who wants to wait 6-8 weeks...glossy X-Star's are still available for under 600$.

Fixed my post...still, who wants to wait 6-8 weeks...glossy X-Star's are still available for under 600$.

I'm curious about the difference between IPS max overclock and PLS max overclock. I got stuck at 100Hz on both the Qnix's I've tried, which is about what I expected and pretty damn good.

But I just always wondered about the Yamakasi/Overlords. I'm not looking forward to waiting for the order to be fulfilled but it's been kinda crappy waiting for the ROG Swift this whole time, too.

My Tempest does 120Hz easily. The caveat with this is that the monitor develops "scan lines" at around 100Hz and up, which degrades the image quality. ToastyX offers a Deliner application to fix this on the desktop, however it does not work in fullscreen gaming mode (fullscreen mode is essential for running CrossfireX). Some people do not notice these scan lines. My eyes are particularly keen to this effect, so I run my monitor at 96Hz. I do not notice much if any difference in motion clarity stepping down to 96Hz from the full 120 (assuming 96FPS minimums in most situations), and this also eliminates coil whine.

Last edited:
Hmm the fact that the ROG Swift is a $800 TN matte panel turns me off. I'm still debating Qnix vs Overlord, I read the Overlord has less QC issues. The 6-8 week wait does suck though.

I guess I'll just have to find out about the dang PCBs in the Catleap Extreme by testing one out. I imagine I won't have to wait 6-8 weeks. Man, all these guys are named Choi...

Well considering I paid on Dec. 2 2013 and received my monitor on Dec. 24 2013 , I wouldn't say it's a necessary fact you'll be waiting 8 weeks. :)

The overlord is glossy and the AOC is matte ? If this is correct doesn't it matter a bit if the reflection of the glossy monitor is an issue for your setup ?

Looks like they (overlord) make a multi-input version too which would directly compete with the Multi-input AOC that everyone's been talking about... I'm just so torn at what I should do because I would love to have a monitor that can do over 60Hz (with my next gaming rig) but I'd also like to have multi-input functionality so I can play my Xbox 360 and future PS4 on it... Pros and cons on both. I guess if I really had to I could sacrifice the multi-input functionality and hook up the current monitor to my xbox and place it in front of my future 1440p monitor. The reason why I'd do that is because I have a pretty nice 5.1 sound system that I would like to use for my xbox 360 gaming too and having the monitor off center of my 5.1 isn't optimal. Having to hook up my old monitor back whenever I want to play xbox and placing it on/off my desk is a little bit of a hassle though.

Overlord is apparently doing a run of glossy 120Hz monitors, yes, but they are sold out of pretty much everything else including the multi-input monitors.

The AOC has a nice semi-gloss coating. B&H Photo is selling the AOC for $529 right now. It's probably my recommendation for multi input 27" 1440p right now. I thought it was fantastic at everything but fast motion, where it was still pretty solid for a 60Hz display. There is a Crossover MDP that is fantastic as well, but not much cheaper. None of the professional type monitors are glossy.

B&H just raised it to $549, at least that's how it shows from here. (I'm always suspicious about the possibility of dynamic pricing.)

I don't suppose anyone has used both the Benq BL2710PT AND the AOC Q2770PQU? Amazon has dropped the prices on all their 27" monitors now: BL2710PT for $599, AOC for $549, and the U2713HM for $552.

I don't care about motion reproduction, lag, or anything like that--pretty much just static image quality, contrast, uniformity, that sort of thing (writing code and papers, research stuff). I'm strongly tempted to pick up the AOC because it seems like its image quality is essentially the same as the Benq.

I've read some comments about color shift (is that DeltaE?) across the panel on the Benq, which I find interesting because the DeltaE of the BenQ is some reviews (such as PCmonitors) is actually lower than the Q2770PQU:

AOC:
q2770Pqu-colour-temperature-map.png

BENQ:
BL2710PT-colour-temperature-map.png

And the AOC they tested had better luminance uniformity.

I suspect this is getting into the noise/weeds and that they will look more or less the same. Is the AG coating slightly heavier on the AOC? Is it at all bothersome?

I'm trying to see how the BL2710PT commands a $50 higher price than the AOC since they look essentially the same.

The AOC is similar. It's been released by a company that doesn't usually directly compeat against the big monitor manufacturers but here we are. The AOC has outstanding PQ, it's not really being recommended as a cheap alternative. Bl2710pt had a higher price, it's been dragged down by qc problems. So far I've heard about 1 dead pixel on the AOC. Mine was pretty much perfect. Try the AOC first and if you get a pixel perfect unit I think for static imaging you won't be wondering what's better and why.

Is there a big difference between the glossy and matte version? Isn't the matte version a semi-glossy anyway? I'm having a hard time justifying paying twice the price for the glossy X-Star.

The AOC is similar. It's been released by a company that doesn't usually directly compeat against the big monitor manufacturers but here we are. The AOC has outstanding PQ, it's not really being recommended as a cheap alternative. Bl2710pt had a higher price, it's been dragged down by qc problems. So far I've heard about 1 dead pixel on the AOC. Mine was pretty much perfect. Try the AOC first and if you get a pixel perfect unit I think for static imaging you won't be wondering what's better and why.

I agree, the AOC from what I've heard is a good choice to start with. The $50 price difference between the BenQ and the AOC doesn't necessarily mean the more expensive one is better. In a perfect world you'd always get better quality for the extra money you spend, but prices can be different for all kinds of reasons. And with only $50 separating the two they are actually pretty close in price, considering the wide price range for 1440p 27-inch monitors. Honestly I don't know which one is "better" out of those two monitors, I have never owned (or seen) either of them. From what I have read in reviews and on these forums, both are excellent choices.

Last edited:
My Tempest does 120Hz easily. The caveat with this is that the monitor develops "scan lines" at around 100Hz and up, which degrades the image quality. ToastyX offers a Deliner application to fix this on the desktop, however it does not work in fullscreen gaming mode (fullscreen mode is essential for running CrossfireX). Some people do not notice these scan lines. My eyes are particularly keen to this effect, so I run my monitor at 96Hz. I do not notice much if any difference in motion clarity stepping down to 96Hz from the full 120 (assuming 96FPS minimums in most situations), and this also eliminates coil whine.

So yeah, I keep tweaking at my Qnix... and I have it completely color stable at 110Hz now, after having finally seen the light and done the full pixel clock patch instead of just partial. I think I might try another SLI bridge just to see what happens... because little things make small differences with this... but about your comment not seeing any difference between 96hz and 120--

I can see a difference between 100Hz and 110. It's not even difficult to tell. 120 would be better. Probably some people are more sensitive to motion blur than others but having come from the direction of lightboost type displays tracking objects in motion at 100Hz on a PLS is slightly disappointing--thus the struggle to get every last bit of artifact free blur reduction possible.

Is there a big difference between the glossy and matte version? Isn't the matte version a semi-glossy anyway? I'm having a hard time justifying paying twice the price for the glossy X-Star.

The Qnix uses a semi-glossy coating which is actually a matte coating, but it is referred to as semi-glossy since it is essentially grain free.

The glossy qnix/x-star are reflective, have worse color presets (not aware of any Overlord measurements) than the matte version, but look better when using an ICC profile (plenty are available). My matte Qnix is glow free, so now I prefer glossy monitors over non-glow free matte panels. The Eizo EV2736W, CG277 and CX271 (2500$) are the only guaranteed glow free 1440p monitors.

Glossy Qnix and matte Qnix (with custom painted bezel whick makes the blacks look deeper)

More coating comparisons

My matte Qnix is glow free, so now I prefer glossy monitors over non-glow free matte panels.
Can you clarify this statement?

Did you mean you prefer your glow-free matte to your glossy? It seems like you are more proud of the glow-free unit, but I can't tell. Paint looks nice, btw. :)

Edit: Comparing the semi-glossy coating on the Eizo FG2421 to the Qnix, the Qnix is heavier.

Last edited:
Can you clarify this statement?

Paint looks nice, btw.

I intentionally did not clarify (IDK) if I like glossy over glow free matte since, but I do prefer glossy over non-glow free matte.

The Qnix/X-Star's glossy bezel looks silly with the matte coating, my sand+paint job sucks but it looks much better than it did before. It's a shame Overlord started using the same casing as the Qnix/X-Star since the older bezel was glossy gray (same as Qnix QX2700 and MOTV M2700) vs. glossy black. Blacks look deeper paired with a glossy/matte gray bezel.

I intentionally did not clarify (IDK) if I like glossy over glow free matte since, but I do prefer glossy over non-glow free matte.

The Qnix/X-Star's glossy bezel looks silly with the matte coating, my sand+paint job sucks but it looks much better than it did before. It's a shame Overlord started using the same casing as the Qnix/X-Star since the older bezel was glossy gray (same as Qnix QX2700 and MOTV M2700) vs. glossy black. Blacks look deeper paired with a glossy/matte gray bezel.

Yeah, that's a really tough call.... the black level on the glossy is deeper (at least perceptually, from the photograph). But it's obviously a bit of a mirror, too.

Well... I don't know why I'm doing this exactly--but I've decided to put all 3 of the usual Overclocking 1440p Monitor suspects in a head to head. It's only 2 years too late to be of any use but I can't really find exactly the comparison test/article I'm looking for and I want to try to see if there really is any difference in the overclocking potential. Kinda hard with only 1 of each, but random sampling is still worth a go. My suspicion is that GreenSum is just plain greedy and there is no real advantage to be had with the Yamakasi Extreme, still people keep buying them. So I'll take one for the team and see if it can stand up to the Qnix.

Also I'll be ordering an Overlord glossy. I'm not clear on the Yamakasi coating, since they aren't specifying I'm assuming glossy. Green Sum shipped my unit out via EMS, wtf is that? Emergency Medical Services will bring me a monitor? Looks legit anyway. Hopefully it will arrive unsmashed.

Edit: New acquaintance from inside the Korean monitor scene has advised me to avoid the Yamakasi... "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" he says, I guess because he knows I like the Qnix's. Great... already ordered it. Maybe I can get Green Sum to change to a Glossy Xstar... woe is me.
Edit2: K, Green Sum seems like a lady. Anyway, if you call the number listed for the paypal cust. service you'll actually get an answer. Who knew? So even though it's a holiday in Korea they swapped my order for me because it hadn't been picked up yet. eBay cust support is looking a little more serious.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's a really tough call.... the black level on the glossy is deeper (at least perceptually, from the photograph). But it's obviously a bit of a mirror, too.

Well... I don't know why I'm doing this exactly--but I've decided to put all 3 of the usual Overclocking 1440p Monitor suspects in a head to head. It's only 2 years too late to be of any use but I can't really find exactly the comparison test/article I'm looking for and I want to try to see if there really is any difference in the overclocking potential. Kinda hard with only 1 of each, but random sampling is still worth a go. My suspicion is that GreenSum is just plain greedy and there is no real advantage to be had with the Yamakasi Extreme, still people keep buying them. So I'll take one for the team and see if it can stand up to the Qnix.

Also I'll be ordering an Overlord glossy. I'm not clear on the Yamakasi coating, since they aren't specifying I'm assuming glossy. Green Sum shipped my unit out via EMS, wtf is that? Emergency Medical Services will bring me a monitor? Looks legit anyway. Hopefully it will arrive unsmashed.

Edit: New acquaintance from inside the Korean monitor scene has advised me to avoid the Yamakasi... "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" he says, I guess because he knows I like the Qnix's. Great... already ordered it. Maybe I can get Green Sum to change to a Glossy Xstar... woe is me.
Edit2: K, Green Sum seems like a lady. Anyway, if you call the number listed for the paypal cust. service you'll actually get an answer. Who knew? So even though it's a holiday in Korea they swapped my order for me because it hadn't been picked up yet. eBay cust support is looking a little more serious.

What's wrong with the Yamakasi? I'm tempted to order a couple overlord glossy panels.

450+91$ shipping to Canada plus duty plus exchange=700$ CAD for an Overlord. No thanks.

450+91$ shipping to Canada plus duty plus exchange=700$ CAD for an Overlord. No thanks.

Yeah... I almost balked at the shipping. Wasn't expecting that. Still... $500 USD for a glossy Overlord is worth it to have a good look at it. I don't really understand why it has to be so expensive to insure packages sent to Canada. I know a trick for people in Toronto so they can just pick stuff up in the US, but I'm guessing you're on the other side. Anyway if I really hate it I'll send it to you :D

What's wrong with the Yamakasi? I'm tempted to order a couple overlord glossy panels.

My buddy in SK says that they WERE really hot 2 years ago, but that GreenSum is charging too much for them. The same units were much cheaper when they were available through 120Hz.net. He also said that the Qnix and X-star units are more "stable" at Overclocking. I'm not entirely sure what he means by that... he speaks English but I don't speak Korean.

The overlord is glossy and the AOC is matte ? If this is correct doesn't it matter a bit if the reflection of the glossy monitor is an issue for your setup ?

I don't think it will matter too much, I can cut the lights in my room if need be. I'd prefer the AG version but it sounds like they aren't getting a shipment anytime soon. I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on the Tempest though. I've mostly made up my mind on making a sacrifice for 120Hz capability. Now, it's either the Qnix or Tempest. I'll do more research but it seems like the overlord may be a better choice to avoid gamma problems when overclocking.

Green-Sum is trying to get me to buy a $300 Shimian... I don't get this lady--I told her like 3 times I'm only buying a monitor that overclocks. She's prepared to cancel the order for the Extreme 2b but says there are no glossy x-stars available even though she has 2 different listings up for them on ebay. What's more she says there are no Qnixs available either. Hmmmm.

I see; I don't have a need to overclock. I just want smooth scrolling windows and quasi-accurate photos.

I don't think it will matter too much, I can cut the lights in my room if need be. I'd prefer the AG version but it sounds like they aren't getting a shipment anytime soon. I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on the Tempest though. I've mostly made up my mind on making a sacrifice for 120Hz capability. Now, it's either the Qnix or Tempest. I'll do more research but it seems like the overlord may be a better choice to avoid gamma problems when overclocking.

I see; I don't have a need to overclock. I just want smooth scrolling windows and quasi-accurate photos.

The overclock = smoother scrolling windows.

The gamma change for the overclocking monitors is really just a dark shift in brightness across the entire display and shouldn't be considered a negative. It's just a harmless effect for the most part.

The fact the Qnix can overclock is just icing on the cake, because it's a pretty damn good basic monitor, too--especially for the money. It really depends a lot on how well the kids put them together in the factory. :eek:

If you want better [something] then we can work with that. I'm pretty partial to the Apple Cinema Killers on the market, like the Achieva/Monoprice/Auria/Crossover 27QW/DangerDen. These displays have the very best bright colors and often very high contrast ratios as well. Like 1200:1 :eek: But some of them will have glow or backlight bleed really bad. I recommend the Crossover 27QW, maybe get one from a US seller if possible so you can return it if you don't like it for personal reasons. The Achieva Shimian QH2700-IPSMS Lite Edge looks pretty awesome to me, guess I'll test one out...

Last edited:
My buddy in SK says that they WERE really hot 2 years ago, but that GreenSum is charging too much for them. The same units were much cheaper when they were available through 120Hz.net. He also said that the Qnix and X-star units are more "stable" at Overclocking. I'm not entirely sure what he means by that... he speaks English but I don't speak Korean.

Maybe hes talking about the scan lines and buzzing a lot of them seem to have when oc'd over 100Hz?

Any news on the AOC review?

I got my second AOC in. It actually has a little more IPS glow than the first one did, but I cant find any dead pixels on this one. Glow doesn't bother me so im quite happy with it. I have tried ALLOT of 27" 1440p monitors and the AOC is the best of them all. It's the only 27" I have used that is better than the Apple. The semi-gloss coating the put on the PLS panels is just as good as it gets, I hate glossy monitors.

FWIW I don't use it for gaming so overclocking doesn't mean anything to me. Now that I use my big plasma for gaming all lcd's look blurry to me during fast motion. I can't really tell the difference between bad input lag and good, I guess im not sensitive to it, but it seems fine.

Just received my AOC Q2770PQU. Cosmetically it wasn't perfect--some tiny scratches in the bezel that mostly disappeared when I rubbed them (gotta be super close to see them), and a small imperfection in the AG coating that you can see from an angle on a black screen with a light shining on the monitor. OSD buttons are a little clumsy. The AG coating level is perfect. Color looks good (no calibrator here), no dead pixels, NO backlight bleed, and very little glow. Did I mention no backlight bleed? I put a review on Amazon. This morning I looked hard for the AG coating imperfection and couldn't find it. So this seems to be a pretty nice panel.

Last edited:
The Achieva Shimian QH2700-IPSMS Lite Edge looks pretty awesome to me, guess I'll test one out.

Not sure why you would buy an Achieva after returning the DD monitor. This Monoprice monitor glossy and likely decent, if you want to experiment try one of these since you easily return it. Avoid Achieva's with multiple inputs since they usually lack proper brightness controls and the one they updated (DVI and VGA inputs) now uses low PWM and still has poor black levels.

Last edited:
Not sure why you would buy an Achieva after returning the DD monitor. This Monoprice monitor glossy and likely decent, if you want to experiment try one of these since you easily return it. Avoid Achieva's with multiple inputs since they usually lack proper brightness controls and the one they updated (DVI and VGA inputs) now uses low PWM and still has poor black levels.

Was trying to find a good Apple Cinema Display alternative, the DD went back because it had really bad bleed The worst I've ever seen. Really what I want is a PDC model that does 120Hz. Seller I asked said the QH2700-IPSMS had an ad board with separate contrast and brightness. I think I'll give up and just order another AOC for a reference monitor.

Why? PDC is only slightly clearer compared to a glossy coating, the blacks look grayish and monitors with PDC all seem to have obvious back-light bleeding.

Back