Looking for 27" LED recommendations - WQHD

Now the link works (?): http://tech.woot.com/offers/27-wqhd-ips-led-monitorcnt_wp_2_1 $449 for a refurb VP2770 with 90 day warranty.

What's the real difference between the VP2770 and the VP2772. The VP2772 may not make sense if I need to invest in another video card to take advantage of it.

I will admit I have had occasions where I have got quite frustrated trying to print "what I see on the screen" and not get the results I wanted. Photos of course.

Last edited:
Now the link works (?): http://tech.woot.com/offers/27-wqhd-ips-led-monitorcnt_wp_2_1 $449 for a refurb VP2770 with 90 day warranty.

What's the real difference between the VP2770 and the VP2772. The VP2772 may not make sense if I need to invest in another video card to take advantage of it.

I will admit I have had occasions where I have got quite frustrated trying to print "what I see no the screen" and not get the results I wanted. Photos of course.

The real difference between the VP2770 and the VP2772 is that the VP2770 is a standard gamut display and the VP2772 is a wide-gamut display. The VP2772 only has an advantage if you want/need to work with a wider gamut. Most people who get a wide-gamut display use it for a specific purpose that requires the extra color space. The vast majority of computer programs, games and multimedia are designed for a standard gamut displays and therefore will look over-saturated on a wide-gamut display. I personally have never owned a wide-gamut display, so I may be wrong about this, but that's what I've heard. When standard gamut content is viewed on a wide-gamut display (in wide-gamut mode) then colors tend to look over saturated.

If you don't need wide-gamut, the VP2770 is a better choice. If you do need wide-gamut, the VP2772 is a better choice, but you'll need to switch to its standard mode for most tasks and only use wide-gamut when necessary. The VP2772 is one of the few wide-gamut displays that seems to do a decent job in its standard gamut mode.

Last edited:
So the Eizo has this great feature.

1.) When does it come in handy while using it?

2.) Also, do these features wear out out or fail at some point

1.) I provided an explanation in the EV2736W section in my list...

2.) No

I have read bunches of reviews stating the ev2736w is an IPS panel.

It uses a PLS panel just like the FS232, FS2333, EV2335 and EV2336.

What recommendations for Adobe RGB 27" screens?

VP2772 or Crossover 2770MD. The 2770MD does not have an sRGB mode.

I don't understand...why consider the VP2772 (900$) over the EV2736W which is glow free and cheaper (from Adorama)? LED back-lit wide gamut panel glow is also noticeably more pronounced compared to a normal standard gamut AHVA/IPS/PLS panel. It does not make sense to buy a VP2772 over a VP2770 or EV2736W for your uses.

When standard gamut content is viewed on a wide-gamut display (in wide-gamut mode) then colors tend to look over saturated.

The colors will look fine if the program supports color management. Games do not support color management, nor does most video playback software. Apparently MPC-HC does but I've never been able to get it to work.

Last edited:
NCX (or anyone else who wishes to weigh in, for that matter) - What do you think about the Monoprice 27" ZERO-G 1440p? I found one for very cheap on Massdrop - it was only $330, with perfect pixel guarantee (zero dead, zero bright etc..) and also upgraded protection against backlight bleed etc...

Here's the link - http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=114&cp_id=11401&cs_id=1130703&p_id=10509&seq=1&format=2

I kind of wish they offered the other Monoprice 27" instead, which has DisplayPort 1.2 and HDMI in addition, but seems to have many of the same specs/features as the ZERO-G. Here's that one...

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=113&cp_id=11307&cs_id=1130703&p_id=10489&seq=1&format=2

If you want to see the Massdrop page, which details the additional "perfect pixel" agreement etc.. - https://www.massdrop.com/buy/monoprice-monitor

For the price, even without the Massdrop group buy, these seem to have some great specs for the price. I wonder if there are any differences between the two - I hope I'm not missing much by going for the ZERO-G because it was on Massdrop, and that I won't lament the loss of HDMI/DP too much...

Last edited:
NCX (or anyone else who wishes to weigh in, for that matter) - What do you think about the Monoprice 27" ZERO-G 1440p? I found one for very cheap on Massdrop - it was only $330, with perfect pixel guarantee (zero dead, zero bright etc..) and also upgraded protection against backlight bleed etc...

Here's the link - http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=114&cp_id=11401&cs_id=1130703&p_id=10509&seq=1&format=2

I kind of wish they offered the other Monoprice 27" instead, which has DisplayPort 1.2 and HDMI in addition, but seems to have many of the same specs/features as the ZERO-G. Here's that one...

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=113&cp_id=11307&cs_id=1130703&p_id=10489&seq=1&format=2

If you want to see the Massdrop page, which details the additional "perfect pixel" agreement etc.. - https://www.massdrop.com/buy/monoprice-monitor

For the price, even without the Massdrop group buy, these seem to have some great specs for the price. I wonder if there are any differences between the two - I hope I'm not missing much by going for the ZERO-G because it was on Massdrop, and that I won't lament the loss of HDMI/DP too much...

It's an excellent monitor. I just did a review of one of the Plasma Deposition Coating imports that was rebranded by Danger Den. They have fantastic color but slightly gray blacks. I found the coating very nice personally. It's like a tempered glass panel without all the reflections. The single input is the way to go for gamers because it has low input delay. Worst finger print magnet ever made.

What about 27" touchscreens? This is something I was originally looking at but not sure about the price but they seem in the ballpark of these others.

NCX (or anyone else who wishes to weigh in, for that matter) - What do you think about the Monoprice 27" ZERO-G 1440p?

That model sucks since it lacks proper brightness controls and has a very high minimum brightness. It might be fine if placed in front of a window during bright days, otherwise blacks will look gray and dark scenes will look severely washed out.

This Monoprice monitor is pretty good but it also has a high minimum brightness while the Crossovers do not.

These monitors all use Plasma Deposition Coating which you should read about before buying.

What about 27" touchscreens? This is something I was originally looking at but not sure about the price but they seem in the ballpark of these others.

For multi-media use the touchscreen options are terrible since they use edge-to-edge glass which makes blacks look gray and are extremely reflective.

Left edge-to-edge glass Samsung 970D vs. semi-glossy. More coating comparisons are included in the Plasma Deposition Coating section of my 2755AMG review linked above.

Last edited:
-> NCX

Which do you prefer between:

• Viewsonic VP2770 ($$$)
  • Eizo EV2736W ($$$$)
  • HP ZR2740w ($$)

Given my plans for a new monitor. I've seen other models but it looks like these three were floating to the top of the list here. $ = based on prices I've seen.

Last edited:
NCX - Thanks for the info. I have to say I'm pretty concerned. However, I've read that the current version of the Monoprice 27" ZERO-G IPS is different than it was back when that Aug 2013 review was referenced. The new version for instance apparently has a metal chassis, some upgraded innards, metal stands etc.. so I wonder if they fixed the brightness control? I can't imagine they would sell a monitor without a working brightness control if they've known about it for 3/4 of a year at least.

The other Monoprice you linked me as "pretty good" is the other one I was looking at, with HDMI (which, if the current model is limited as the one that was reviewed in October, it sucks that HDMI doesn't support 1440p.) and DisplayPort (which thankfully, does). The panel here appears to be very similar to the ZeroG on paper, so if this one has a working brightness control, then in theory a "fixed' ZeroG would also be pretty good. Either way, I hope the blacks aren't too washed out due to the PDC.

Sigh. Guess I'll see what it looks like when it gets here. Hope they fixed the brightness control at least.

The ZR2740W is a good budget (<500$) choice for those who do not care about overclocking and want a matte monitor with low input lag. The EV2736W is the best, multi-input, matte 1440p monitor since it is glow free and offers excellent all around performance.

Well, I do OC my rig but not my video. I choose long term typically. Where can I get a good price on the Eizo? Bummer about the USB ports though.

hmmm: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...escreen.html?gclid=COm-vsD99L0CFYuXOgodK3UALQ condition says a 9 (Shows signs of use, but very clean). $659.

NCX has told you that it is a quality monitor and others in [H] have said the same. This monitor when new comes with a 5-year warranty. If you want a quality brand it is going to come with a quality price for a reason.

PCM is a large, established professional site offering quality service.They are pricing new EV2736's at $917.99. If you phone this representative directly and talk with him you will find that he delivers full customer satisfaction. I stipulated before my purchase that I would require my return policy to include zero missing pixels and zero pixel defects, he abided by my request and then some. Don't take this personally. But whenever I read of someone looking around for a lesser priced but lowered quality product, it should be no surprise to them when they later realize that choosing quality over price would have been the better choice.

PCM
Jeffrey Valle
(800) 555-6255 X55646
Excellent Post Sales Service

Last edited:
Well, I do OC my rig but not my video. I choose long term typically. Where can I get a good price on the Eizo? Bummer about the USB ports though.

hmmm: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...escreen.html?gclid=COm-vsD99L0CFYuXOgodK3UALQ condition says a 9 (Shows signs of use, but very clean). $659.

I wouldn't touch that used 2736 at b and h. They are not all perfect and they do not all have good black level. I've seen a picture of 2 brand new ones sitting next to each other on a black screen. One was good one was not nearly as good. The guy sent the other back. Eizo does not warranty items like this and I think all you get is 90 days warranty through B&H. I wouldn't go through adorama to save a few bucks either. I'd buy new from b and h or use the link and very helpful advice above.

I wouldn't touch that used 2736 at b and h. They are not all perfect and they do not all have good black level. I've seen a picture of 2 brand new ones sitting next to each other on a black screen. One was good one was not nearly as good. The guy sent the other back. Eizo does not warranty items like this and I think all you get is 90 days warranty through B&H. I wouldn't go through adorama to save a few bucks either. I'd buy new from b and h or use the link and very helpful advice above.

Are you recommending against the 2736 or simply buying a returned unit?

NCX has told you that it is a quality monitor and others in [H] have said the same. This monitor when new comes with a 5-year warranty. If you want a quality brand it is going to come with a quality price for a reason.

PCM is a large, established professional site offering quality service.They are pricing new EV2736's at $917.99. If you phone this representative directly and talk with him you will find that he delivers full customer satisfaction. I stipulated before my purchase that I would require my return policy to include zero missing pixels and zero pixel defects, he abided by my request and then some. Don't take this personally. But whenever I read of someone looking around for a lesser priced but lowered quality product, it should be no surprise to them when they later realize that choosing quality over price would have been the better choice.

PCM
Jeffrey Valle
(800) 555-6255 X55646
Excellent Post Sales Service

No worries. Not taking it personally. Not looking for "lesser priced but lowered quality product". Looking for a great deal is all. Left a message for Jeff so let's see if he calls me back.

***Edit
Been about 1.5 days and haven't heard back from Jeff.

Last edited:
You are going to find that companies use PLS and IPS interchangeably. Many companies call their monitors IPS but they actually uses a PLS panels. IPS is just a more commonly known name. I have found many conflicting reports on exactly what the Eizo uses, but I've heard it uses a PLS panel.

I personally just recieved the Viewsonic VP2770 and I'm in the process of reviewing it. It also uses a PLS panel.

I'm in the same situation as you. I buy a monitor once every 7-8 years, so I wanted it to be very good. Most of the monitors NCX recommends are going to be great for your needs.

How's your reviews of the VP2770 coming along?

Best 2560x1440 Monitors

Negative to the U2713HM, PB278Q and S27A850D. If you can spend more the Eizo EV2736W is the best since it is glow free (review links). AOC Q2770WPU (PC Monitors Review. need to add it to my list) is better than the PB278Q which is kind of the odd man out now since it uses LED PWM Dimming (Side Effects), has slower pixel response times or really obvious overshoot ghosting depending on which overdrive (Trace Free) setting is used and lacks 4x USB 3.0 ports unlike.

The Crossover 2720MDP is the best glossy, multi-input option.

Where can I even find the AOC Q2770QPU? Want to see pricing. Suffering from info overload now but this has been really helpful.

Last edited:
I just opened up a new VP2770 to use with my Mac Mini, and it's just freaking awesome. And this is coming from someone who tried just about every 27" available over the last couple years, save for the Koreans. This screen is finally the screen i've been looking for for the past two years.

My favorite display up until this point has been the ACD which was perfect for me in almost every way, except for the fact that you could see your reflection in it 100% of the time, and you had to take it apart every week to clean the dust out.

This 2770 looks exactly like the ACD to my eye, except it doesn't have the reflections or the dust problem. Which for me makes it perfect. No bleed, hot spots, or color shift on my example at all. It does have a little IPS glow, but it has less than the ACD and the glow never bothered me on the ACD.

Seriously after all the garbage monitors i've been through over the last year I can't sing the praises of this guy enough. Can't think of one reason not to recommend it.

Using this current WQHD thread to ask a related question:

Does any common brand 1440p monitor do 1080p or lower resolutions at 75hz without frameskipping?

I think they ought to do at least 720p at 75hz because of DVI specifications. 1080p is probably more iffy. But it might be possible to set a custom resolution and get it working.

I just opened up a new VP2770 to use with my Mac Mini, and it's just freaking awesome. And this is coming from someone who tried just about every 27" available over the last couple years, save for the Koreans. This screen is finally the screen i've been looking for for the past two years.

My favorite display up until this point has been the ACD which was perfect for me in almost every way, except for the fact that you could see your reflection in it 100% of the time, and you had to take it apart every week to clean the dust out.

This 2770 looks exactly like the ACD to my eye, except it doesn't have the reflections or the dust problem. Which for me makes it perfect. No bleed, hot spots, or color shift on my example at all. It does have a little IPS glow, but it has less than the ACD and the glow never bothered me on the ACD.

Seriously after all the garbage monitors i've been through over the last year I can't sing the praises of this guy enough. Can't think of one reason not to recommend it.

Where did you get it and how much (if you don't mind my asking)?

Where did you get it and how much (if you don't mind my asking)?

Amazon, I order most of my stuff from them. I'm a prime member so I get free two day shipping and they come to my house and pick it up if there's any defects and I have to return it. I went through a ton of different monitors last year and they never gave me any problem with the returns.

It was $720 shipped w/ prime. Well worth it to me, not long ago I payed $900 for a u2711 and $1000 for the ACD, and this is a considerably better monitor than both of those.

How's your reviews of the VP2770 coming along?

It won't be a formal review, as I don't have the calibration equipment to run real tests. I can tell you so far it is a beautiful screen. I received a unit with no backlight bleed that I can find, no dead pixels, and while I don't know how the glow compares to other monitors, it is not an issue for me at all. The extra real-estate 1440p offers is great for doing work. And the few games I've tried so far look wonderful on this screen.

The only oddity I've noticed is on very dark grey backgrounds, when viewed very close, I can see a few horizontal irregularities. It doesn't look like banding, and it cannot be seen unless I have the brightness turned up and I'm a few inches from the screen. Under normal use, I don't notice it at all.

Besides that one oddity, it is an amazing screen that produces a beautiful picture and the build quality of the housing and stand is impressive.

How does the AOC Q2770PQU compare with the BenQ BL2710PT? I'm in more or less the same boat as the OP, need a monitor for web surfing, reading (a lot), photo editing, and some video (no gaming).

Thanks!

I haven't seen a lot of reviews of the AOC Q2770PQU. The ones I have seen seemed pretty favorable. The BenQ has gotten excellent reviews. The one issue is that the user define color mode, where you can change the RGB channels, doesn't work properly so you get inaccurate colors. That isn't a problem though according to most reviews as the Standard mode is very accurate.

I personally think either option is very good for your needs.

How does the AOC Q2770PQU compare with the BenQ BL2710PT? I'm in more or less the same boat as the OP, need a monitor for web surfing, reading (a lot), photo editing, and some video (no gaming).

Thanks!

Have you seen where you can even buy the AOC Q2770PQU? I haven't been able to find it.

How'd I miss that? Anyway..price looks good. How does it compare to the VP2770 and the EV2736W. Especially the VP2770. Eizo is expensive.

The AOC PQU is excellent. Look for VP2770 price to drop soon. VP2770 has QC issues (as do all IPS/PLS monitors) but I was really impressed with the AOC. The only reason it lost to my Qnix was refresh rate, the color gradients were better on the AOC. I've never had a VP2770 to test... they are probably very similar. The stand on the AOC is better, imo. The Eizo is probably not worth it considering these options exist.

The AOC PQU is excellent. Look for VP2770 price to drop soon. VP2770 has QC issues (as do all IPS/PLS monitors) but I was really impressed with the AOC. The only reason it lost to my Qnix was refresh rate, the color gradients were better on the AOC. I've never had a VP2770 to test... they are probably very similar. The stand on the AOC is better, imo. The Eizo is probably not worth it considering these options exist.

I believe that the VP2770 and the AOC Q2770PQU use the same Samsung PLS panel, so you may find the image quality to be very similar. Neither display use PWM based on the reviews I have seen, so that's good. I think you'll find either display excellent.

The AOC has a price advantage right now. I often see it for around $600 in the United States compared to over $700 for the Viewsonic. I would have considered the AOC when I purchased my Viewsonic, but it wasn't quite ready for shipment from B&H, which is where I was ordering from.

I don't think you'll go wrong with either display. Order form a place that has a good return policy. As with any monitor, you may get a bad unit that has abnormal back-light bleed, dead pixels, or other issues that can slip past quality control, so you'll want to easily be able to exchange it.

AOC Q2770PQU is now $550 on amazon.com, shipped free.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Very cool. I've heard of AOC before but had made the assumption they were an off brand.

Man. =Dead= review even likes the maximum overdrive setting. I thought it was probably too aggressive but nope. So there's part of my slowness gripe attended to.

Very cool. I've heard of AOC before but had made the assumption they were an off brand.

I must say. If all the reviews were in for the AOC I may have made a different decision! It looks like a good bet. I did reach out to AOC to clarify what the warranty is on the Q2770PQU, just out of curiosity as they didn't seem to list it anywhere.

Interestingly reviews keep listing the Q2770PQU as the same PLS panel used in the VP2770, PB278Q and the EV2736W. However none of those panels can reach 100% sRGB coverage. They are almost all consistently in the 95%-97% range after calibration. I wonder if it is a new PLS panel.

I must say. If all the reviews were in for the AOC I may have made a different decision! It looks like a good bet. I did reach out to AOC to clarify what the warranty is on the Q2770PQU, just out of curiosity as they didn't seem to list it anywhere.

Interestingly reviews keep listing the Q2770PQU as the same PLS panel used in the VP2770, PB278Q and the EV2736W. However none of those panels can reach 100% sRGB coverage. They are almost all consistently in the 95%-97% range after calibration. I wonder if it is a new PLS panel.

What is the warranty?

I just bought the Q2770PQU. If somebody can point me to a short tutorial on how to test an LCD monitor for bleed or other issues, I will test it and report back.

Back