Zune Cracking Under Pressure?

HardOCP News

[H] News
Is there problem with Microsoft’ Zune that causes it to crack under pressure? No telling if this is a big issue, a case of people dropping their Zune or what.

Apparently they've received numerous reports of the Zune screen cracking for no apparent reason, after being left charging overnight.

Another example of why you shouldn't buy first gen. devices if you aren't super rich.

Smells like BS to me.

Just an excuse for dropping it and damaging it. Like the complaints about the Wii straps, they were just an excuse for acting like an out of control idiot and breaking something.

Doesn't matter. There will always be defects. Its the nature of consumer electronics, or electronics as a whole. If it is true, I'm sure the failure rate will be minimal, or, found to be a bad lot. What does make this interesting though, is Microsoft's recaction to the claims by voiding the warranty. That would be a bad way to get current Zune owners to buy future Zune products.

-E

A nice way to paive to a class action if enough units have this problem. Warranty voiding cause of an overcharged battery, well that is a winner, they should be investigating the cause; well either bad builds or defective charger or battery. Li-ion is supposed to have safety circuitry to prevent this in both the charger and also the battery itself, since it literally is a bomb waiting to go off if mistreated. Wonder what UL or CSA have to say about this should it be a large problem. It is too early and not enough info to tell if this is just a bad production lot or if many units will be affected, buyer beware.

What happens when Li-Ion goes unstable
http://www.pcpitstop.com/pcsafety/video.asp

well I've had my Zune for three months.Use it everyday. No cracked screen (yet. *knocks on wood*) :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Just another way people try to flame the Zune because the are Ipod loves :rolleyes:

Li-ion batteries actually are endothermic (get colder) as they charge.So this sounds like BS.Still the two people I know who did buy in to the Zune,both took it back and bought an Ipod.Its no Ipod killer thats for sure. :D

I have had a Zune for about two months, and I have not had any problems. I sure hope it doesn't crack! I called my brother and a friend who both own Zunes, and they seem to have heard of no one with this problem. Heck I leave the thing plugged in for a long time, and it never gets hot.

Whether or not this is an 'Ipodkiller' depends on who you are, and if you like Apple software. I don't.

Li-ion batteries actually are endothermic (get colder) as they charge.So this sounds like BS.Still the two people I know who did buy in to the Zune,both took it back and bought an Ipod.Its no Ipod killer thats for sure. :D

The battery in my 2nd gen shuffle and old dell laptop get hot when they charge...? Are those not li-ion batteries?

What small protable electronic device doesn't "crack" under pressure?

you sure about that? I have always felt charging Li-Ions get warm when charging, in laptops, handheld radios, cellphones etc...

I think he means endothermic as in "absorbs energy", like from the charger. But, since, according to the laws of thermodynamics, nothing is 100% efficient, some energy is not absorbed as a charge, and must go somewhere, so it is radiated as heat. Thus, they DO absorb energy, but the percentage that is not absorbed comes off as heat, so the battery unit/shell/whatever gets warmer.

Back