ZR30w vs U3011

Fantasysage

Limp Gawd
So, price not an issue. Which would you get?

Primary use will be gaming and browsing the web, watching movies and such.

I was set to get the HP, but the lack of a bright pixel guarantee is really, REALLY worrying me. Plus I hear it has flickering and buzzing problems. Also, for only 75 bucks I can make the Dell warranty 5 whole years. The dell has an OSD and more inputs, but the HP has lower input lag.

So, [H], some guidance?

U3011 has low enough input lag for the vast majority.
The sRGB mode alone easily makes up for that. Added bonus is of course the inputs and the OSD.

So my vote goes to the U3011.
HP ZR30W is a nice monitor but the lack of an sRGB mode kind of ruins it compared to U3011 in my eyes.

I dunno, kind of a tough choice. I was looking at those two as well, before finances dictated that a 30" monitor is not in my future. I was starting to really lean towards the Dell. I just don't think the input lag is that big of a deal. There are people who claim it is, but I've played on a "high lag" (33mn) NEC for a couple years and it is great. What worries me about the HP is that you can't turn the brightness down much, and the lack of colour control. I can see wanting to change that and it just doesn't have the ability.

I was seriously looking at the ZR30w though, and it does sound like a great monitor. Either way would probably work, and I hadn't made my mind up.

Yeah, this is a tough choice. Dropping 1300 bucks is okay for me at the moment, but this is my big purchase of the year, and the last I will be making for myself in a while.

With both monitors at the same price point, I went with the Dell for the extra connectors. Figure the native resolutions might not be quite as lag free - but the kvm like ability to connect to multiple boxes to the same monitor.

To me the only benefit of the U3011 is if you plan to also use a PS3 or something because of the scalar. This introduces input lag though.

The ZR30w is cheaper and has lower input lag. It doesn't have a sRGB mode but I prefer the wide gamut colors in games anyways. I think the whole gamut/color issue is blown way out of proportion. Not to mention you can color calibrate Windows etc via graphics card/screen calibrator.

Cool :)

The ZR30w is cheaper and has lower input lag. It doesn't have a sRGB mode but I prefer the wide gamut colors in games anyways. I think the whole gamut/color issue is blown way out of proportion. Not to mention you can color calibrate Windows etc via graphics card/screen calibrator.

Wide gamut issues doesn't get nearly as much attention as it deserve.

And no. You can not calibrate yourself out of wide gamut issues in windows. Thats the problem...

Where are you getting that information from? Last time I read Windows 7 was color aware and utilizes custom ICC profiles. It's applications like games that directly access directX that have difficulty utilizing ICC profiles to be color aware.

I could see it being a large issue if you work with photo's etc and don't have a colorimeter. But if your Elf's shirt is a little bit more red in World of Warcraft I don't think that's a huge issue to most people!

I don't care about color accuracy in games (others do though).
But 99.99999999999% of all applications are not color aware and thats a huge problem.

This is a no-brainer.

The Dell has an awful anti-glare coating that makes it completely worthless for anyone serious about color accuracy.

The lack of a scaler on the HP ZR30W is a bonus, not a drawback. People interested in playing Xbox or PS3 on a LCD monitor aren't going to be buying a $1000+ 30" LCD.

I don't care about color accuracy in games (others do though).
But 99.99999999999% of all applications are not color aware and thats a huge problem.

I care about natural colors everywhere. I had 3007-HC for about a week before I sent it back. IMO it sucked for everything including games, where neon colors were painful to look at.

I would never buy a monitor that wasn't sRGB or didn't have a decent sRGB emulation.

The Dell with OSD/emulation/inputs is a no questions choice here.

This is a no-brainer.

The Dell has an awful anti-glare coating that makes it completely worthless for anyone serious about color accuracy.

The lack of a scaler on the HP ZR30W is a bonus, not a drawback. People interested in playing Xbox or PS3 on a LCD monitor aren't going to be buying a $1000+ 30" LCD.

I think you're over exaggerating the AG coating. It's not quite as awful as you make it sound. And even with a scaler and 25ms of input lag, most "eyes" cannot discern that or notice any ghosting.

I think you're over exaggerating the AG coating. It's not quite as awful as you make it sound. And even with a scaler and 25ms of input lag, most "eyes" cannot discern that or notice any ghosting.

Agreed. the AG coating on this display is a freaking non issue. Looks perfectly fine to my eyes and im a sensitive prick.

If input latency really bothers you go for the HP and if it doesn't and you enjoy inputs and the option to use it for something else other than PC usage go with the Dell.

Simple as that really.

If input latency really bothers you go for the HP and if it doesn't and you enjoy inputs and the option to use it for something else other than PC usage go with the Dell.

Simple as that really.

Most people probably will not notice the difference between 11ms and 25ms. I've been gaming on my LP2475w for 2 years now (25ms input lag) and have never complained.

Most people probably will not notice the difference between 11ms and 25ms. I've been gaming on my LP2475w for 2 years now (25ms input lag) and have never complained.

Well as I said , if input latency effects you (me for instance I can tell the difference without question and it bothers the hell out of me) then the HP will be the better choice. I'm not implying that everyone has the same sensitivity to it as I do but spending that kind of money only find out you are one of those people just makes for a hassle.

I got the U3011 a month ago and have issues with the response time. I notice blurring during fast paced action in movies on DVD and when panning quickly in FPS. How does the zr30w compare? Is the motion blur less noticeable?

I got the U3011 a month ago and have issues with the response time. I notice blurring during fast paced action in movies on DVD and when panning quickly in FPS. How does the zr30w compare? Is the motion blur less noticeable?

I'm pretty picky about dispay quality, and haven't noticed blur on my zr30w.

I've never really had a monitor I had lag/blur issues with though ... so YMMV.

Back