ZR30w and PS3

merid14

Weaksauce
Joined
Jul 8, 2008
Messages
110
I am thinking of getting a ZR30w the problem is that I need to be able to connect my PS3 to it. I should be able to do that with a HDMI to DVI cable but will it actually display anything?
 
No, ZR30w is for computer only. Your option is the Dell 3011.
 
^not true

you can use a ZR30W with a PS3 via HDMI to DisplayPort/DVI-D adapter. the ZR30W also supports HDCP so you can watch things in full 1080P.
The ZR30W is a excellent monitor and looks great with 1080P content
 
@merid14: Do a quick search on YouTube for "ps3 monitor" ...or keywords along those lines, and you'll find a ton of videos showing its possible. I'm also searching for a monitor to use for PS3 gaming, I found the ASUS VE278Q and the Dell U2311H if you wanna check those out.

However, just like DCmod said, the monitor you choose has to be HDCP ready/compliant so the image can be seen. Most monitors today are HDCP compliant. Also like DCmod said, HDMI-to-DVI will work.

DCmod, can you confirm the HDMI-to-DisplayPort? ..I've read that won't work, like for example on an iMac, you need to purchase a $150 adapter that allows HDMI to be converted to a DisplayPort signal.
 
@merid14: Do a quick search on YouTube for "ps3 monitor" ...or keywords along those lines, and you'll find a ton of videos showing its possible. I'm also searching for a monitor to use for PS3 gaming, I found the ASUS VE278Q and the Dell U2311H if you wanna check those out.

However, just like DCmod said, the monitor you choose has to be HDCP ready/compliant so the image can be seen. Most monitors today are HDCP compliant. Also like DCmod said, HDMI-to-DVI will work.

DCmod, can you confirm the HDMI-to-DisplayPort? ..I've read that won't work, like for example on an iMac, you need to purchase a $150 adapter that allows HDMI to be converted to a DisplayPort signal.

I have only used a HDMI to DVI adapter on my ZR30, you might be right about the displayport problems
 
Thats interesting about the DP problems. Well I'm glad to hear that I can play PS3 on my ZR30w!

@DCmod: Does it look grainy or anything?
 
@merid14: Do a quick search on YouTube for "ps3 monitor" ...or keywords along those lines, and you'll find a ton of videos showing its possible. I'm also searching for a monitor to use for PS3 gaming, I found the ASUS VE278Q and the Dell U2311H if you wanna check those out.

It's not so much that monitors can't do it, but I think both Vega and I thought the ZR30w had no internal scaler, like the LP3065, meaning it can ONLY display 2560x1600 or 1280x800 which the PS3 doesn't output but that appears not to be the case.
 
Last edited:
It's not so much that monitors can't do it, but I think both Vega and I thought the ZR30w had no internal scaler, like the LP3065, meaning it can ONLY display 2560x1600 or 1280x800 which the PS3 doesn't output but that appears not to be the case.

I read somewhere that it has a 2d scaler which just blows up the image to fill the screen. I guess that might be what is happening. Have you tried hooking a PS3 up to yours? Does it look good and crisp or a little blurry? Would you recommend one to someone?
 
Yes, it should be a simple pointsampling solution without control over AR.

Best regards

Denis
 
If the ZR30w does show a 720p/1080p image from a PS3 it has to look horrible. The ZR30w lacks a full blown scalar like the 3011 which can scale images up without looking too horrible.
 
Just tested this with my ZR30w. The PS3 doesn't work doesn't work on it. The blue light on the ZR30w just blinks on and off. It might be the HDMI to DVI converter I was using, it's missing 6 pins that are right in the middle. The missing part is flanked by 2 groups of 9 pins on either side. This converter has worked fine for viewing the PS3 on other 1080P monitors.
 
I wonder if an hdmi 1.3 to dvi would work? Thanks for your input by the way.
 
So I just tried again with my PS3 on my ZR30W and the monitor just blinks like dever confirmed. maybe before I tested with my 3007 HC, I apologize merid I guess I got my monitors switched up. Looks like I was wrong from the start, Vega was correct about no internal scaler and at lower resolutions the ZR30W does not look that great. I do love my ZR30W but maybe the 3011 would be a better fit for what you are wanting to do. again sorry for the confusion on my part
 
We all get confused sometimes. Let me ask you another question tho. How to you like the 3007 vs the zr30w?
 
not really a comparison, the 3007wfp-hc was nice but the ZR30W is head and shoulders better, not only on refresh rate, contrast, brightness but also color accuracy. Was a great upgrade from the 3007 for me.
 
Hey guys,

Is there a way to plug a PS3 into the ZR30w at all? Even if by using an external scaler or something? I really want to get the U3011 but I am really frightened that I will hate the input lag.

Regards,
Brad
 
Back
Top