Zotac or EVGA?

Champ

Gawd
I'd obviously choose EVGA in a heartbeat if it wasn't for price.

Now the thing is I can possibly get a Zotac AMP Edition GTX 770 or a EVGA 770 with ACX

Now the Zotac would be $330ish while the EVGA would be $410.

Would you go Zotac to save $80 or is it just safe to go with EVGA. I was thinking on just increasing my 840 pro size with the extra $80 or just saving $80.

I get mixed reviews on Zotac.

Any suggestions?

I've owned Zotac, EVGA, and Galaxy - all great companies in my experience. I had an issue with a rebate for a Zotac GTX 580, and they were not only very responsive, but I had my rebate check mailed and in hand a few days afterwards; without the need to wait the usual 4-8 weeks for processing.

I, personally, have no qualms about the majority of Nvidia's partners. Considering EVGA now has jumped on the 3-year warranty bandwagon, and offers the Lifetime warranty + Step Up for an additional cost, I'd say they're at about equal ground. Save the $80 for games. ;)

AMP for sure either way. Even if price is same. Zotac AMPs are binned chipped. I had a 670 AMP that did just under 1400mhz.

Save the $80, and go with Zotac. The amp has a slightly higher boost clock and mem clock. Plus they're known for being binned.

I am a pretty big fan of EVGA, but have bought Zotac in the past also. For 80 bucks I would go Zotac for sure.

Zotac for the $80 save. Now if it were like $20 difference, I would say go with EVGA.

Would depend on if I needed the 80.00 for something else. Or could I spend it all on a card.

if I didnt really need the money, Id for sure go with the EVGA. Matter of fact I just did.

I don't know why anyone would pick the evga. Even at the same price I'd take the binned chip. Y play the lottery when u can bet a sure thing. Mind you I had 2 FTW 670s that did over 1200 stock. But my zotac did 1270 something stock. Zotacs customer service has gotten very good recently I've also heard.

EVGA is far from the company it was a few years back. I don't consider them any better than any of the other 2 year warranty board partners. Right now, its a wash between pretty much every company I can think of in terms of quality control and customer service. I would even go as far as to say that the EVGA is the weaker choice of the 2 considering the Zotac is binned. Why would you pay more for less?

EVGA is far from the company it was a few years back. I don't consider them any better than any of the other 2 year warranty board partners. Right now, its a wash between pretty much every company I can think of in terms of quality control and customer service. I would even go as far as to say that the EVGA is the weaker choice of the 2 considering the Zotac is binned. Why would you pay more for less?
Why do you say this? EVGA still puts out a very high quality product, they have some pretty great designs, a good user community and great support. The ACX cooler for their new cards is supposed to be awesome.

I can understand how some people are bitter over the lack of a lifetime warranty, but that was inevitable given all of the abuse people but their video cards through and then expect replacements forever.

Also EVGA has the step-up program which no one else does at this time. Though it costs more you can extend your warranty through them. They have a pretty good line of accessories for their products if you want to buy them. And they still have great customer support, especially compared to the rest of the industry.

EVGA! all the way, I have 2 EVGA cards since 2003 & still running on my old rig!

EVGA! all the way, I have 2 EVGA cards since 2003 & still running on my old rig!

Evga is nice and all, but $80 bucks better? No.

The deal he can get for that zotac amp, is his best option by a mile.

I doubt ANY of today's manufacturers are building cards any better than the others, however what seperates them is features and customer service in case of a problem. I've been gaming since the original Voodoo days and I've yet to have a single video card fail for me and I've had two dozen or more over the years. Granted, I never keep a video card for more than 3-4 years at the most but I think that's more than enough time before a video card is outdated and no longer really any use to me.

I like any of the manufacturers that have a transferable warranty (EVGA, Galaxy, ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte) because of the idea that when I sell 1-2 years down the line, the new owner won't hassle me if something happens.

i'd have to go with the zotac, too. that's almost $100 that can be used elsewhere, so i'd save myself the money. :)

EVGA would usually be the obvious choice, but for $80 bucks cheaper? Zotac hands down, it's still a solid brand.

Consider Price+Performance (Google Reviews) & Customer Service Reputation

Replies like these: "I've had X card for 10 years & it still works," or "I have Y & I like it," are useless.

Count my vote for Zotac. Bad quality control and costumer service that is below average to average at best for EVGA. They are not worth anymore than any other brand.

Would suggest MSI or Galaxy instead.

Count my vote for Zotac. Bad quality control and costumer service that is below average to average at best for EVGA. They are not worth anymore than any other brand.

Would suggest MSI or Galaxy instead.
Exactly how is their customer service "below average to average" at EVGA? Have you ever actually tried to RMA something with ASUS, Sapphire, etc? I hear horror stories on these forums all the time. I don't think I've heard anything but positive stories from EVGA customers.

Not that I disagree that MSI and Galaxy make excellent products, but let's be real here. EVGA and Galaxy are probably the best options for customer support based on the fact that they are US companies alone (assuming OP lives in the US).

EVGAs step up program is nice... not sure it's $80 nice, but I'd take my chances and go EVGA.

Exactly how is their customer service "below average to average" at EVGA? Have you ever actually tried to RMA something with ASUS, Sapphire, etc? I hear horror stories on these forums all the time. I don't think I've heard anything but positive stories from EVGA customers.

Not that I disagree that MSI and Galaxy make excellent products, but let's be real here. EVGA and Galaxy are probably the best options for customer support based on the fact that they are US companies alone (assuming OP lives in the US).

A few not so good ones like mine are here but if you choose to not believe them that is up to you. A physically damaged card out of the box, twice in a row (both brand new, thanks Amazon for the RMAs) and they will only offer to give you a used, formerly defective card as a replacement. I can see that if you were using it after a month, but for something broken out of the box? Bascially if the store you bought from does not give cheap RMAs or refunds and you get a broken EVGA card out of the box, you are going to have to settle for a used card.

The fact that I got broken cards out of the box was bad enough.

If you consider that superb quality control and customer service then by all means buy EVGA, but I would not pay a premium for that. Especially since their competition often offers superior coolers for for less money. EVGA clearly isn't doing anything extra to warrant the extra cost.

Most companies will always return you a "used" card when you rma. Only in a few rare cases, will a vga company send you a brand new card (which is once in a blue moon).

In the past their competition did offer "superior" coolers, but that's not the case anymore. Their ACX cooler is fantastic.

Anyways, hopefully the op did the right decision and picked up the zotac amp.

EVGAs step up program is nice... not sure it's $80 nice, but I'd take my chances and go EVGA.

Correct if I'm wrong, but unless it already comes with the Limited Lifetime warranty, don't you have to also purchase an extended warranty in order to be eligible to "unlock" the Step Up feature (as if it were a game achievement or DLC :rolleyes:)?

So then you're looking at $80 for the price difference, and then an extra $30 for the 5-year or $60 for the 10-year on top of that if you want to have the option for Step Up in the future (since the MSRP is over $500):

http://www.evga.com/support/warranty/extended.asp

Evga is nice and all, but $80 bucks better? No.

The deal he can get for that zotac amp, is his best option by a mile.
I'm just syain' EVGA, I stick with whats been working for me since day one, I personally don't have nothing against Zotac,
like Asus, MSI, Gigabyte & EVGA etc...the GPU's are Nvidia or Amd's anyways, @ the end its really on him whether he goes with our opinion or his already GPU choice.

A few not so good ones like mine are here but if you choose to not believe them that is up to you. A physically damaged card out of the box, twice in a row (both brand new, thanks Amazon for the RMAs) and they will only offer to give you a used, formerly defective card as a replacement. I can see that if you were using it after a month, but for something broken out of the box? Bascially if the store you bought from does not give cheap RMAs or refunds and you get a broken EVGA card out of the box, you are going to have to settle for a used card.

If you consider that superb quality control and customer service then by all means buy EVGA, but I would not pay a premium for that. Especially since their competition often offers superior coolers for for less money. EVGA clearly isn't doing anything extra to warrant the extra cost.
Well that sucks, but I think that's pretty standard for all manufacturers. Why didn't you just return the cards to the place you purchased them from if they were new out of the box?

I would go Zotac. I had a really good experience with an RMA through them. I hear nothing but good things about EVGA but I have personal experience with Zotac and I know they make great hardware for a good price.

So you Blame EVGA for Amzon's actions you gone through? when I purchased expensive products
I purchase them directly through the manufacture not a 2nd or 3rd party & deal with their headaches,
and yes I register & extend the warranty on all my products, since 2000 I've been building & fixing gaming PC for myself, friends & customers without one single issue....I must be a lucky purchaser! :cool:

Well that sucks, but I think that's pretty standard for all manufacturers. Why didn't you just return the cards to the place you purchased them from if they were new out of the box?
Word that's the first thing to do contact Amazon let them know the situation & send that right back to them!...Give me my money back!

So you Blame EVGA for Amzon's actions you gone through? when I purchased expensive products
I purchase them directly through the manufacture not a 2nd or 3rd party & deal with their headaches,
and yes I register & extend the warranty on all my products, since 2000 I've been building & fixing gaming PC for myself, friends & customers without one single issue....I must be a lucky purchaser! :cool:

Amazon covered me completely. Gave me three new cards with no extra cost. Before going to Amazon each time I went to EVGA who would only give me a used card each time. Again, a card going defective after a few weeks I can understand... but broken out of the box and they won't send a new card? Maybe that is standard practice, and if it is, why pay extra for EVGA then? Clearly their customer service is average at best. The premium they charge is just not worth it. But if it makes you happy, then go for it. I would rather save $10,$20 or $80 and get another brand. MSI gets my vote.

In the end I got a card that workedl through Amazon. Recently sold it and got an MSI GTX670.

As for the ACX cooler, from what I understand, it cools well but is also rather loud compared to the MSI and Galaxy coolers. Which is really half the reason to go with the better cooler (stock coolers cool just fine; they're just noisy).

Last edited:
they are all the same pretty much, so as long as you're okay with the cooler and specs, i'd say go for zotac.

Back