ZFS - and WD RED / RE4 ? Problems?

tangoseal

[H]F Junkie
Has anyone had any problems with either of the following:

WD RED

WD RE4

WD RE3 drives?

I am asking if any issues in ZFS due to TLER function?

There is another thread in this forum titled" Best Drive for ZFS" well another member was stating that you can't run TLER drives with ZFS? So I wanted to bring attention to this and find out if there have been any issues so far with hardcore ZFS zealots using these drives.

No issues with 5 reds in one zfs box and 2 in a 2nd one. They aren't hit real hard, just backup duty (both in HP n40l microservers).

No issues with 5 reds in one zfs box and 2 in a 2nd one. They aren't hit real hard, just backup duty (both in HP n40l microservers).

Thanks ... do you think if they are hit very hard they would cause issues?

I have a 10G ethernet pipe between my new model NAS (Soon to build) and my sigrig which has two M4 256GB SSDs in raid. I can generate quite a bit of traffic and over 10Gb I do not want to cause REDs or RE4's to drop in ZFS.

Trying to avoid it.

If anything, TLER should work _in_ ZFS's favor, since the drive would return control to ZFS that much quicker if it did enter a deep recovery cycle and couldn't complete the read before the timeout.

With ZFS you should be fine either way - it tends to be more tolerant of desktop class drives than hardware RAID but isn't going to mind enterprise drives.

Well, they were hit hard doing the initial backup of a couple of servers, about 3TB worth in 24 hours or so. No issues.

@OP

Enterprise ZFS deployments will invariably use enterprise-class drives. If there were issues, I think we would have heard of them long before now. :)

@OP

Enterprise ZFS deployments will invariably use enterprise-class drives. If there were issues, I think we would have heard of them long before now. :)

Yeah that is the line of thinking I always subscribed to but every now and then you get someone who seems very insightful and knowledgeable about a specific technology to completely derail your idea of what is considered acceptable.

Yeah that is the line of thinking I always subscribed to but every now and then you get someone who seems very insightful and knowledgeable about a specific technology to completely derail your idea of what is considered acceptable.

I use about 50 TLER WD 2TB RE4 (from former Hardware Raid) for several years without problem (have replaced some disks during 5y warranty) first with NexentaCore now with OI.

Reliabiity may be not as good as with my Enterprise Seagate disks but they are more than good enough with a Raid-Z2/3. My newer and cheaper Hitachi disks work as well.

Only aspect may be a reduced pool performance during rebuilds. If that is essential, you must use enterpriise disks because the overall failure rate is lower - otherwise you can invest less than the half price for a similar low cost solution with non-enterprise disks.

Back