• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Zen release date announced!

Its not announced.

Before we begin, as always rumors are just that ... rumors and we certainly can't verify this information. However, the indication and partner seems valid. That would mean availability of AMD Zen on January the 17th, which matches up with a CES 2017 announcement (5th of January through the 8th)

You are running with a rumour that may or may not be true. AMDs latest official information is February 2017. X370 mobos is also February.
 
Last edited:
Might want to wait for some reviews before you break out the champagne and party favors.

Nope, because we already know for a fact it will be considerably faster than the existing FX processors. Also, DDR4 and PCIe 3 among other things.
 
You don't know that.

As much as I want AMD to offer stiff competition, I'm not partying until Intel starts sweating.

Yes, we do know that it will be considerably faster than the existing FX series of processors. Note I did not say Intel but FX.
 
Might want to wait for some reviews before you break out the champagne and party favors.

What's wrong with getting excited about a highly anticipated product coming out? This isn't another Intel release offering 2% faster performance. This is the first CPU release from AMD (not counting the low powered and performing APU's) in like 5 years. Both Intel and AMD fans should be interested and anticipating this launch. Especially for guys like me that are really needing a rig refresh.
 
I want 8 cores & 16 threads @ 4.8 GHz for $300 to replace my 4 core 8 thread i7-920 @ 3.8 GHz.

I don't think that is unreasonable.
 
Only if it gives blowjobs and makes coffee. Otherwise $200 or bust.
I'm married and have that covered. ;)

I haven't thrown AMD any cash since my old X3-720 that I bought for my server.

I can toss them an extra $100 if those needs are met.
 
I have always been on the Intel wagon and even I'm excited. All this fucking hype for years, how could I not be?
 
I hope so...I'm very anxious to see what Zen brings to the table!
 
I hope so...I'm very anxious to see what Zen brings to the table!

Exactly! I am sure I will be upgrading and would love to do both my home and work computer at the same time. However, I will probably be lucky if I am able to get even one of them before everything sells out quickly, at least initially.

Another point for me is that, I had a Phenom II 945 at 3.6 Ghz and wanted to upgrade from that. When the FX 8150 released, I listened to others and picked up a Phenom II 1090T and it ended up being a waste of money for me. I should have picked up an FX 8150 just like I originally planned since I already had the FX 990 board. This time around, I am going to get the better of the X370 boards and whatever 8 core is released.
 
Oh, so do you think it will be slower?

I don't think anything honestly. It might be the best thing since sliced bread, $300, 8C/16T, faster IPC than a Skylake, and OC's to 12GHz. Or it could be on the level of a TI-83. I'm not making any judgements or purchase decisions until a few sites get their hands on production hardware and does a couple reviews.

This has nothing to do with AMD vs Intel, I'd say the same prior to buying a new Intel CPU too. Or a new GPU of any kind. I'm just stunned by all the people who seem to have made purchase decisions about Zen before the hardware has even been finalized. You MIGHT be justified about making decisions like that on the Intel side, since they've had a pretty steady (but small) performance jump every new release. But AMD hasn't had anything this new in a while, how about we wait and see before sending them all your cash?

What's wrong with getting excited about a highly anticipated product coming out? This isn't another Intel release offering 2% faster performance. This is the first CPU release from AMD (not counting the low powered and performing APU's) in like 5 years. Both Intel and AMD fans should be interested and anticipating this launch. Especially for guys like me that are really needing a rig refresh.

I would think past history might give you a bit of pause. AMD has a pretty long history of "overpromise and underdeliver" in both the CPU and GPU world. There's just a LOT of hype about this one with no real logic behind it except people hoping it shakes up CPU pricing for everyone. If Zen is awesome, I'm not going to be upset, I'll be happy to see how it moves prices. If Zen sucks, I'm not going to be surprised.
 
I think that it will be as fast or slightly faster than Intel... I know AMD has been a let down in the past but there has to be a point where they do overcome Intel again. Could be this go round.
 
Thankfully since the majority of AMD sales are to the midrange and embedded sectors, their stock tends to upsurge even when performance is second-rate. I.e.: Polaris GPUs, wouldn't touch one with a ten foot pole but poof stock went up!

Expecting the same for Zen.
 
every member should be required to scroll down before they make a thread. This is just another site talking about the same thing. lol
 
  • Like
Reactions: psy81
like this
Another point for me is that, I had a Phenom II 945 at 3.6 Ghz and wanted to upgrade from that. When the FX 8150 released, I listened to others and picked up a Phenom II 1090T and it ended up being a waste of money for me. I should have picked up an FX 8150 just like I originally planned since I already had the FX 990 board. This time around, I am going to get the better of the X370 boards and whatever 8 core is released.
Was your 1090T a dud or something? I would rather have one of those than a FX 8150 if I could go back in time and those were my two choices.
 
every member should be required to scroll down before they make a thread. This is just another site talking about the same thing. lol

"Post new thread" below topics list? Hmm...
 
I have always been on the Intel wagon and even I'm excited. All this fucking hype for years, how could I not be?
I'm guessing you haven't been around for the last... 2-3 amd "new" architecture cpu launches. Why do you think Intel has done so well with sales while only releasing a 10% or less performance gain with new cpu cycle releases? Because AMD has not delivered. Worse, they over hyped and got the fan bois all ready to go. And.... nothing but disappointment.

I've been in the hardware game for 20+ years. I remember when AMD had something to be excited about.
 
  • Like
Reactions: psy81
like this
I'm guessing you haven't been around for the last... 2-3 amd "new" architecture cpu launches. Why do you think Intel has done so well with sales while only releasing a 10% or less performance gain with new cpu cycle releases? Because AMD has not delivered. Worse, they over hyped and got the fan bois all ready to go. And.... nothing but disappointment.

I've been in the hardware game for 20+ years. I remember when AMD had something to be excited about.

I've been around since my c64 and my first Intel p75 chip. I've been here for every launch and I am aware of AMD's track record, from the good to the bad.

The last few launches have been less than stellar, but that isn't about to make me cynical. New staff and new ideas can always shake things up in a company. I remember when the T-bird and Duron chips came up and it the other way around. There's always a chance this could be amazing.

Reservations are expected but be happy, not cynical.
 
Was your 1090T a dud or something? I would rather have one of those than a FX 8150 if I could go back in time and those were my two choices.

Nope, no dude but, no upgrade either. If I could go back, I would have gone with the FX 8150 right out of the gate. Then I would have upgraded to an FX 8350 upon release. Live and learn.
 
I am very much looking forward to January 17th now. :) Whenever they are actually available, I will be upgrading but, it is just a question of which machine or both at the same time. If I do both, then I will definitely be looking to use my old parts for hand me downs.
 
every member should be required to scroll down before they make a thread. This is just another site talking about the same thing. lol

Which has naught to do with the topic at hand. Thanks for participating though. :)
 
Its not announced.



You are running with a rumour that may or may not be true. AMDs latest official information is February 2017. X370 mobos is also February.

I already now that. So? We are all big boys here, I am sure we can read for ourselves, we do not need a participation trophy around there parts. (Unless the trophy is a brand new video card of our choice. :D)
 
I am very much looking forward to January 17th now. :) Whenever they are actually available, I will be upgrading but, it is just a question of which machine or both at the same time. If I do both, then I will definitely be looking to use my old parts for hand me downs.

So in other words, you already decided completely blindly. No regard to any metrics or anything else. Wouldn't it be easier just to send them money? Because we already established how it performs is irrelevant.
 
So in other words, you already decided completely blindly. No regard to any metrics or anything else. Wouldn't it be easier just to send them money? Because we already established how it performs is irrelevant.

It has already been established that it will perform significantly better than the current FX processors so I am not concerned. Troll harder next time. :D
 
I've been around since my c64 and my first Intel p75 chip. I've been here for every launch and I am aware of AMD's track record, from the good to the bad.

The last few launches have been less than stellar, but that isn't about to make me cynical. New staff and new ideas can always shake things up in a company. I remember when the T-bird and Duron chips came up and it the other way around. There's always a chance this could be amazing.

Reservations are expected but be happy, not cynical.

I don't wish on fallen stars. show me some numbers and we can discuss "excited" and "happy"
 
It has already been established that it will perform significantly better than the current FX processors so I am not concerned. Troll harder next time. :D

In what metrics? More than 4-8 threads? Or the perf/watt you dont care about? Please share!
 
It has already been established that it will perform significantly better than the current FX processors so I am not concerned. Troll harder next time. :D

You are a great consumer. I appreciate you wasting your money so we can pretend there is some competition in the cpu market.

Meanwhile I will continue to pay for the increased performance and efficiency I am getting with my Intel setups.

I'don't love to have to research and debate which team to go with on my next build. But in the last 10 years that has not happened.
 
You are a great consumer. I appreciate you wasting your money so we can pretend there is some competition in the cpu market.

Meanwhile I will continue to pay for the increased performance and efficiency I am getting with my Intel setups.

I'don't love to have to research and debate which team to go with on my next build. But in the last 10 years that has not happened.

Yeah, Intel is a waste of money for me, that is true. No worries from me but hey, you can spend your money as you see fit.
 
Back
Top