Zen 3 Launch Availability

When will it be possible to buy a Zen 3 cpu without using a bot or paying Scalper rates?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My B&H order (Nov 5 at 12:40am EST) for 2 5900x has finally shipped. Woot Woot :p The estimated delivery date is Jan 4, 2021. Hopefully it will arrive before new year, so I can complete two builds (I've been waiting for CPUs the last 4 weeks... grrr).

Got an update from Amazon with an estimated date of January 18th for a 5950X. Placed my order on December 14th and initially had an estimate of anytime between then and May... that would have been fun.

Still have an order in with B&H from pre-order night. Had the December 21st estimate which got pushed back to sometime "early new year" and I'm half expecting to get an update from them saying they're shipping too now around the same time.

My B&H order (Nov 5 at 12:40am EST) for 2 5900x has finally shipped. Woot Woot :p The estimated delivery date is Jan 4, 2021. Hopefully it will arrive before new year, so I can complete two builds (I've been waiting for CPUs the last 4 weeks... grrr).
The twins arrived today, the pins look undamaged :) MSI just released BIOS updates for some mobos with "Update to ComboAM4PIV2 1.1.9.0". My x570 tomahawk is not one of them, I guess I will go with its latest v151. Wish me luck.

Last edited:
Received a 5900x that I bought on 12-24-2020.
Paid a premium BUT it is perfect.
I swapped out my 3900x for the 5900x.
I have a MSI X570 Unify mb, Rad VII gpu, 32gigs (2x16) of Gskill DDR4-3600 Trident Neo ram, Sabrent NvME-4 1tb boot drive along with a 2tb Sabrent Nvme-3 ssd.
All custom watercooled with an Optimus AMD Foundation cpu WB and an EK full wb for the gpu. Have a Corsair 7 480 rad and a Magicool 360 rad in the loop and use as a pump/res the EK D5-140. All is house in a Fractal Define 7XL

Gosh is this 5900x at stock fast. Some quick examples (both 3900x and 5900x stock)
Cinebench R20 3900x=7156;5900x=8475
Aida 64 CPU Queen 3900x=127,100; 5900x=141,100
Top core speed of the processor as recorded in Firestrike 3900x-4600;5900x-4951.

I will run more test as I get time.

Now to somehow find a 6800XT gpu without breaking the bank.

Reactions: Gabe3
like this
Now to somehow find a 6800XT gpu without breaking the bank.
Since you have no problems paying a "premium" . Why don't you just continue paying premiums by getting one on Ebay or even here? Unless you are willing to wait, you won't get any reasonable premiums above MSRP for one from someone selling one.

Celwin, sorry if I offended you. That was not my intention.

The price of 6800xts is almost double of MSRP.

I did NOT pay anywhere near that for the 5900x.

It was no offense man. Lol. I was just curious why you would pay a premium for the CPU and not the GPU. But your explanation explains why. For a second I thought you paid some outrageous premium for the 5900x

Got an update from Amazon with an estimated date of January 18th for a 5950X. Placed my order on December 14th and initially had an estimate of anytime between then and May... that would have been fun.

Still have an order in with B&H from pre-order night. Had the December 21st estimate which got pushed back to sometime "early new year" and I'm half expecting to get an update from them saying they're shipping too now around the same time.
Hate to quote myself, but you can't make this stuff up. Just got this a bit over an hour ago.

ryzen.JPG

Congrats to you too Tanquen, and anyone else who may have gotten their chip shipped!

Holy cow, I didn't sign up till about 9 est nov 5th. :LOL:

While my B&H 5950X doesn't show shipping info, the charge just hit my CC so I'm hoping it gets out tomorrow.

So tryin, what was the trick w/B&H? Bot? Lucky? Their notification system?
Actually was this very thread. :p
Was reading it the night when the preorder went up and just decided to go for it. Was stuck like many waiting on the Dec 21st estimate until I got the email saying it probably wouldn't arrive until next year.

The order from Amazon I got in on Dec 14th. I think it was a notification I saw on the NowInStock Discord. Now that I'm getting the B&H one first not sure if I should cancel or wait and find someplace to sell it. Maybe even think of some other project to use it for perhaps. Either way going to wait until I have the first in hand though.

So tryin, what was the trick w/B&H? Bot? Lucky? Their notification system?
Yeah, someone posted that they had opened pre-orders that night and a bunch of people jumped on the site and ordered some chips. Honestly, what you should be able to do at any time on any site. I think AMD and all the sites are kind of treating people like animals. Having stock for a minute or two or a few seconds. Just let people with a long-standing, verified, accounts backorder one for crying out loud.

I also wonder how many they got? Is the one they just shipped me the 50th they ever got or the 500th or the 5000th?

Yeah, someone posted that they had opened pre-orders that night and a bunch of people jumped on the site and ordered some chips. Honestly, what you should be able to do at any time on any site. I think AMD and all the sites are kind of treating people like animals. Having stock for a minute or two or a few seconds. Just let people with a long-standing, verified, accounts backorder one for crying out loud.

I also wonder how many they got? Is the one they just shipped me the 50th they ever got or the 500th or the 5000th?
I wish I never canceled my order lol. With reports they weren't getting stock til March I said screw it.

I suspect the "bots narrative" is largely a cover story for something else going on. Amazon with their "partners" virtually always has stock of the new GPUs and CPUs...if you are willing to pay $200-$1,400 extra.

I don't know if it's AMD/Nvidia, the retailers or the AIB players...or a combination...but I gotta believe the big corps are the ones primarily responsible for the runaway pricing...and the ones benefiting from it. They have the most control, have ways to work in the shadows. The Bezos of the world aren't going to be out-done by teenagers on Ebay when there is money to be made.

And if you are Jensen...are you going to let the fattest margins go to guys bot-ting in the basement?

I suspect the "bots narrative" is largely a cover story for something else going on. Amazon with their "partners" virtually always has stock of the new GPUs and CPUs...if you are willing to pay $200-$1,400 extra.

I don't know if it's AMD/Nvidia, the retailers or the AIB players...or a combination...but I gotta believe the big corps are the ones primarily responsible for the runaway pricing...and the ones benefiting from it. They have the most control, have ways to work in the shadows. The Bezos of the world aren't going to be out-done by teenagers on Ebay when there is money to be made.

And if you are Jensen...are you going to let the fattest margins go to guys bot-ting in the basement?
There's a bit of blame to go around for these availability issues. Regarding the retailers, whether they're selling it to the end user, some scalper, or a bot mass ordering product, they get paid either way.
I've heard a few stories of anti-bot implementations for stores but nothing widespread seems to be going on to solve this "problem." EVGA's queue system eventually worked out for me. At least it's something you can know you're in line for, even if you do have to wait several months for it to pan out.

I am not sure of the cause, but I have given up. As I said earlier in this thread, I won't play the F5 mashing game, pay scalper prices, or implement bots of my own. I'm literally trying to give money to AMD and it is as if they won't take it. I'm guessing that the availability will be much better in January and February but if not, I'll see how Rocket Lake looks.

I think I'm just going to forget about upgrading. My best shot at getting anything is a Microcenter 2 hours away. And I'm not making that drive for a "1 in stock" showing on their website. Now with more COVID bucks going out, it's going to be even harder to find parts.

What happened to that site that graphed eBay items by "Sold"? It feels like somethign so simple for a scraper to do, yet nobody has done it again. Wonder if they have some anti-scraping measures. Doing it manually I was able to chart some downward price trajectories...

Just got my 5950x. Had to arrive at microcenter at 3:55am to get 7th in line to get one, but it’s in my hands. Settled with a normal asus hero instead of the hero dark, as I want to get this build moving!

Can't believe 5900 and 5950 are still scarce. I picked up a 5950X for $100 more than MSPR+local tax from a craiglist seller about a month ago. I don't know how, but the seller was in possession of more than 5 units when I bought one from him.
Considering my hourly pay rate, paying $100 more actually saved me money.

I got a 5950x from an eBay seller and was able to drop the price by getting it outside eBay and by declaring faulty CPU for the customs. Price is 60 CAD$ more than if I would have taken it from Newegg. Now just need to USPS to bring it.

I decided to get one from eBay because it really seems Canada will only have some of those CPU in a month or so.

I think I'm just going to forget about upgrading. My best shot at getting anything is a Microcenter 2 hours away. And I'm not making that drive for a "1 in stock" showing on their website. Now with more COVID bucks going out, it's going to be even harder to find parts.
Go take a look at a Guitar Center if you have one near you. They already bought up so many guitars that the stores look empty. Probably bought knowing they would recoup the money spent with their stimulus. Good luck getting anything, I believe this is partly the reason they didn't want to do $2,000 all at once. We might possibly see it, but spread out over time to prevent financial irresponsibilty or financial power amongst groups pooling funds together.

I got a 5950x from an eBay seller and was able to drop the price by getting it outside eBay and by declaring faulty CPU for the customs. Price is 60 CAD$ more than if I would have taken it from Newegg. Now just need to USPS to bring it.

I decided to get one from eBay because it really seems Canada will only have some of those CPU in a month or so.
Oh man, usps is a joke right now. Do you have ANY other shipping options? Im waiting on 4 separate packages placed using 1-3 day priority from as far back as 12/11 and 12/17 and 2 of them are lost and 2 are really really late.
Go ups or fedex if you can.

Oh man, usps is a joke right now. Do you have ANY other shipping options? Im waiting on 4 separate packages placed using 1-3 day priority from as far back as 12/11 and 12/17 and 2 of them are lost and 2 are really really late.
I don't have any issue with the packages that I sent in the last weeks, in fact USPS has been way faster than Canada Post for the Christmas rush

Well, I just got a 5600X order on Amazon. Sadly it says March as my delivery date, but a lot of people are reporting it comes earlier. 2600 to 5600X. Going to be nice.

It's not entirely USPS's fault on the shipping mess they are having. UPS and Fedex dumped their holiday stuff over to USPS.

I got my 5600x and RTX 3070 using Now In Stock, though through different methods. The CPU was much easier to get. They use Telegram to send you updates when the CPU is available. I loaded it at 5PM today, and by 8PM, on the first 5600X drop, I had it ordered. I just clicked on their link through Amazon.

As I should be getting the 5950x today I wanted to try the for sale forum for the first time. I don't remember using it anyway but I'm old and forgetful. Any hints or tips in regards to the 5600x, like info to get off of it before I uninstall it? I don't have a Heat account which seems popular to post there and I'm unsure about payment type. I can do PayPal but I'm not sure about the using the friends transaction or them paying the extra 3% or whatever for some kind of transaction protection. I didn't read the for sale forum rules and it seems like you can't post a different price for PayPal with protection and you should get name and phone number and address and call the person but it seems more and more people don't have landlines. :)

Got my hands on a 5900x just now at MC :) already kind of regret not buying the 5950 which they also had, but meh I really don’t need it.

Got my hands on a 5900x just now at MC :) already kind of regret not buying the 5950 which they also had, but meh I really don’t need it.
I like seeing these posts just for the sake of reminding myself that to some small extent...the chips DO actually exist

as of tomorrow I'll be 2 full months of checking constantly at any place I would actually buy one from - have never seen a single one in stock for even a second (canada) :(

I like seeing these posts just for the sake of reminding myself that to some small extent...the chips DO actually exist

as of tomorrow I'll be 2 full months of checking constantly at any place I would actually buy one from - have never seen a single one in stock for even a second (canada) :(
This morning one 5950x was sold for 960 US$ from China on eBay, of course it will take a long time to get here but you would not have to search anymore

Got my 5900X last week from Amazon. It was delivered in an envelope like others had stated. Not sure who thought this was a good idea but luckily it arrived undamaged.

Maybe I will be able to get a motherboard someday...

I bragged too soon, pretty sure this thing is dead. Lasted a grand total of five minutes before blue screening and never booting again. Stuck at DRAM light on two different motherboards, old 3700x boots up immediately and is rock stable as always. Sign from the universe to stick with Zen 2.

Back