Zen 3 Launch Availability

When will it be possible to buy a Zen 3 cpu without using a bot or paying Scalper rates?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
There was a line down the street for 3080s at my MC today at 11:30 this morning and no they didn't even touch the 5600x or 5800x. They had a ton of 5600x that just sold out tracking on their site. As of right now there is still one 5800x there out of four they had this morning. Talking to employees there they had never gotten 5900x and a few 5950x so far.

I told through Newegg chat to put a captcha at checkout so that we can get rid of those bots.

But yes, I'm following the stock on eBay and it's getting more listings, so that is good news. At one point people willing to buy at a higher price will just wait.

I have seen in the beginning of december that more significant stock was coming at the end of this month.

I’ve been waiting for a 5950X, but at the current scalper prices and limited availability, a threadripper 3960 or even a 3970 is seeming pretty reasonable. 3970 is 1990 at microcenter, not counting the $100 discount combo with a motherboard....

Was just on Newegg, all the 5800X & 5900X (individual & combos) had add to cart boxes. Then of course click on any of them and get the oops we've encountered an error then everything goes back to auto notify.

sam

Order # XXXXXX6472 from B&H
NOV 5 12:40 EST initial email confirmation for 5900X
Just shipped despite them initially saying my order may have been pushed to 2021.

Was gunning for a 5950X but now that this is actually coming I feel it's not so worth it...

Last edited:
Order # 1068606472 from B&H
Just shipped despite them initially saying my order may have been pushed to 2021.

Was gunning for a 5950X but now that this is actually coming I feel it's not so worth it...

Too bad, it looks like mine might have shipped had I kept the preorder. Doh! I’m guessing we‘ll see regular drops after the holidays and then I’ll have to decide if I’ll stand pat, go with Zen 3, or wait for Rocket Lake.

Order # XXXXXXXXXXX72 from B&H

Thanks man, I just called B&H and had them redirect that order to my address. :p May want to remove your order number. I don't think anyone would try to mess with it but why tempt fate?

I got the same email for my 5950X and I've checked today and it's still back ordered. :(

Yeah, I think the 5600x is really the only one that's worthwhile. The vast majority of things you do aren't going to take advantage of the 5950X. Kind of like those blind hard drive tests where they have someone open some apps and play some games on three different computers with a SATA disk drive and then a SATA SSD and then an NVMe 4.0 SSD and most people can't tell the difference.

Last edited:
Thanks man, I just called B&H and had them redirect that order to my address. :p May want to remove your order number. I don't think anyone would try to mess with it but why tempt fate?

I got the same email for my 5950X and I've checked today and it's still back ordered. :(

Yeah, I think the 5600x is really the only one that's worthwhile. The vast majority of things you do aren't going to take advantage of the 5950X. Kind of like those blind hard drive tests where they have someone open some apps and play some games on three different computers with a SATA disk drive and then a SATA SSD and then an NVMe 4.0 SSD and most people can't tell the difference.
5900X is a lot more appealing when you do 5 year update cycles. I can't be arsed to change the CPU, I'll usually go for 5 years and then do a GPU upgrade after a few years.

No way people can’t tell the difference between Sata spinning disk. Boot time alone is a huge improvement, let alone popping up things like outlook with a 2GB pst. I have a machine with a 3 drive raid 0 WD velociraptor boot disk, where the boot partition is only 300gb to reduce drive latency, and it’s still noticeably slower than a SATA Samsung 850 pro.

No way people can’t tell the difference between Sata spinning disk. Boot time alone is a huge improvement, let alone popping up things like outlook with a 2GB pst. I have a machine with a 3 drive raid 0 WD velociraptor boot disk, where the boot partition is only 300gb to reduce drive latency, and it’s still noticeably slower than a SATA Samsung 850 pro.
What people? Most people would not unless you are showing them crystalmark or something. They didn't boot Windows, or do large file copies or set a script to start 5 copies of Excel and IE with 20 tabs. They just ran some apps and games. LTT did one with just games and no one could really tell. If the game load times go from like 40 seconds to 35 big deal. I was using a old 2.5" 450MBs EVO SSD on my new build until the new PCI 4.0 7000-ish MBs NVMe drive got here and the Horizon Zero Dawn load time change by maybe 2 seconds.

I was reading something the other day and your RAID 0 may be slower at booting Windows than a single (I have 2 of those 300GB is a much older PC) velociraptor. Same kind of deal, large file copies, yes better but lots of I/O and small files may be not as good unless you have some crazy fancy full hardware RAID card.

Last edited:
5900X is a lot more appealing when you do 5 year update cycles. I can't be arsed to change the CPU, I'll usually go for 5 years and then do a GPU upgrade after a few years.
Yeah, I went from a Intel 3930k to a 5600x after like 8-9 years. My VMs are so much faster now. Not sure if the RTX3080 is helping but all the apps and windows in the VMs are so smooth now. I can even use Unity Mode now and the windows don't update like hot garbage. :)

I want the 5950x for the same reason but I don't think it will change much of what I do for work or play and I have the B&H order but is it worth another $500?

At 4K gaming it's GPU bound. Would a 5600x be best? Or are there any reasons a 5800x or 5900x be preferable over the 6 core 5600x?

Will be using a 3090 for 4K

At 4K gaming it's GPU bound. Would a 5600x be best? Or are there any reasons a 5800x or 5900x be preferable over the 6 core 5600x?

You can do some Googling and there are some comparisons but it's a diminishing returns thing. Like ram speed and anything else. A faster CPU will always help to a point but a lot of the excitement around the 5600X and the other 5,000 CPUs was centered around 1080p forcing the spotlight on the CPU but a lot of those same games if you run them at 4K are going to start to look the same with the same RTX 3080 or 3090 card. And it'll be different for different games. You'd have to look at the benchmarks and decide for yourself but I don't think it's worth spending another $500 on a CPU to get another 5% or 10% in frame rate on some games at 4K. I passed on the $1,800 3090 that I reserved for the same reason, just not worth that extra $1,000 for 10-15-20% in certain titles. When there are more games that are maxed out and you're setting it 30-40 frames FPS on a 3080 maybe you'll be wishing you had a 3090 but by then they'll be the 4080 for $800 depending on how Nvidia feels at the moment and what kind of competition they have. These cards should really be like 500 bucks but that's a whole nother thing.

I wouldn't get anything less then 8 core at this point. The new consoles all using 8 core CPUs so hopefully developers will start taking more advantage in the near future of 8+ cores

What people? Most people would not unless you are showing them crystalmark or something. They didn't boot Windows, or do large file copies or set a script to start 5 copies of Excel and IE with 20 tabs. They just ran some apps and games. LTT did one with just games and no one could really tell. If the game load times go from like 40 seconds to 35 big deal. I was using a old 2.5" 450MBs EVO SSD on my new build until the new PCI 4.0 7000-ish MBs NVMe drive got here and the Horizon Zero Dawn load time change by maybe 2 seconds.

I was reading something the other day and your RAID 0 may be slower at booting Windows than a single (I have 2 of those 300GB is a much older PC) velociraptor. Same kind of deal, large file copies, yes better but lots of I/O and small files may be not as good unless you have some crazy fancy full hardware RAID card.
Popping up chrome / Firefox / word / photoshop / oracle forms and reports / whatever is seconds faster with a ssd over spinning disk. The simple fact is that Everything you do is faster latency wise - give someone a machine for 2 weeks with a western digital green, then swap it for a ssd. There is no question that they will notice the difference - used to see this all the time with office workers that got upgraded to a machine with a ssd. They always thought it was a big hardware upgrade.

As for raid 0, it imposes a latency penalty. That’s why you shave off space from the drive for the boot partition. Google short stoking hard drives - it’s not as fast as an ssd, but faster than a single drive both in speed and latency, even with the raid penalty. It’s a way to keep older hardware a little bit relevant, though at this point those velociraptors are just put to shame by even the cheapest 500gb ssd.

Popping up chrome / Firefox / word / photoshop / oracle forms and reports / whatever is seconds faster with a ssd over spinning disk. The simple fact is that Everything you do is faster latency wise - give someone a machine for 2 weeks with a western digital green, then swap it for a ssd. There is no question that they will notice the difference - used to see this all the time with office workers that got upgraded to a machine with a ssd. They always thought it was a big hardware upgrade.

As for raid 0, it imposes a latency penalty. That’s why you shave off space from the drive for the boot partition. Google short stoking hard drives - it’s not as fast as an ssd, but faster than a single drive both in speed and latency, even with the raid penalty. It’s a way to keep older hardware a little bit relevant, though at this point those velociraptors are just put to shame by even the cheapest 500gb ssd.

This! I can’t believe anyone would argue this. Every family member that I have helped getting upgraded with SSD has been thankful lol. No spinning circle when you open shit up. If someone says it doesn’t help with little shit I call bullshit on that. You can absolutely tell and feel the difference when opening shit.

This! I can’t believe anyone would argue this. Every family member that I have helped getting upgraded with SSD has been thankful lol. No spinning circle when you open shit up. If someone says it doesn’t help with little shit I call bullshit on that. You can absolutely tell and feel the difference when opening shit.

it's not even a small difference it's huuuge - other than "make sure you have enough ram" there's probably no other upgrade that makes a bigger difference

it's not even a small difference it's huuuge - other than "make sure you have enough ram" there's probably no other upgrade that makes a bigger difference
True. Game loads are insanely fast as well. If someone says they don't see a difference between spinning drive and ssd they need to get a psych evaluation for reality check lol.

The jump from a SSD to a super fast NVMe is pretty small but yea going from spinning rust to a SSD is one the biggest advancements in PC the last decade.

If you are talking about that blind test:

It was all SSD, just sata ssd vs NVME ssd and NVME 4.0, I think it is well accepted that once you get into SSD the nuance can get hard to see for non heavy workload like gaming. If they would have put a regular spinning 7200 RPM harddrive in that blind test suite I imagine people would have spotted that one, just the noise could have spilled the bean.

I do not think people claim you can tell between NVME ssd and sata ssd, but going from regular hdd to anytype of SSD is game changer (that why tablet/phone got popular over desktop PC for many I think, with talk of fast/no wake up time and so on).

If you are talking about that blind test:

It was all SSD, just sata ssd vs NVME ssd and NVME 4.0, I think it is well accepted that once you get into SSD the nuance can get hard to see for non heavy workload like gaming. If they would have put a regular spinning 7200 RPM harddrive in that blind test suite I imagine people would have spotted that one, just the noise could have spilled the bean.

I do not think people claim you can tell between NVME ssd and sata ssd, but going from regular hdd to anytype of SSD is game changer (that why tablet/phone got popular over desktop PC for many I think, with talk of fast/no wake up time and so on).

Yeah I think that is the one. No spinning SATA ok and that is the biggest jump (from SATA disk to an SSD) but...

Some SSDs are really bad.

"This! I can’t believe anyone would argue this. Every family member that I have helped getting upgraded with SSD has been thankful lol. No spinning circle when you open shit up."

Still get spinning circle some times on my NVMe 4,0 SSD and there are still many things that take a minute to get started. The older your OS install, the more stuff you have installed and or the more things you try to start at the same time the better the fastest SSDs will look. If you have a clean OS setting there and just open Word or IE without 10+ tabs it's not goin to be that different. So many times I've reinstalled an OS or put it back to a base image and the user was so impressed by how much faster it was. I've also imaged laptops with discs to an SSD and seen no real speed upgrade. My Mom has an old laptop with 4GB of RAM and the video card was taking some of it and Windows 10 is just too much for it. It was a little better after we put an SSD in but still too slow. I just set her up with a new Laptop with tons of RAM and a good SSD and she told me it's still slow. She was talking about websites and she still has DSL. :)

I wouldn't get anything less then 8 core at this point. The new consoles all using 8 core CPUs so hopefully developers will start taking more advantage in the near future of 8+ cores

The 5600X will never trail the consoles in performance at stock let alone after PBO2.

I was in a park next door to a Microcenter. Just for kicks decided to check stock of a 5900x at that store from website. at 9am they had 6 in stock. Since I was literally across the street, walked into the store. There was a line inside the store just to get to the area the CPU and GPU are. I immediately left. Line was around 20 people deep. My time is worth more to me than standing in a line that most likely would not end up being successful. I will just wait for spring to buy one online.

Microcenter near me showed 25+ 5600X this morning before opening. Down to 2 1.5 hours after opening. Wondering if there were some left after the line, or if they are still clearing the people who got in line... the day after Christmas

Microcenter near me showed 25+ 5600X this morning before opening. Down to 2 1.5 hours after opening. Wondering if there were some left after the line, or if they are still clearing the people who got in line... the day after Christmas
Most likely still clearing those in line.

I just tried to order a 5900x within the minute of a stock alert and failed.

Fucking hell

I just tried to order a 5900x within the minute of a stock alert and failed.

Fucking hell
Beating bots is going to be really difficult. I haven't been trying too hard to get a CPU recently and will probably wait it out.

5900x has been the only zen3 I have failed to score thus far. Have a 5600x incoming shortly in the FS section.

The only place that I saw success against bots is Walmart, everywhere I'm pretty sure it's simply impossible

Don't think it will get better in next few weeks. Year end buyers (tax incentives), top-of-year buyers and Chinese New Year holiday season where factories will pause.

The only place that I saw success against bots is Walmart, everywhere I'm pretty sure it's simply impossible
Thats probably because bots aren't pointed to walmart not known much for selling CPUs. Best place I have had luck with getting GPUs and Consoles is Best Buy.

I was able to FINALLY order a 5900X using Hotstock. I couldn't believe it. Will be interesting when this thing will actually ship.

Everything is noticeably faster with an SSD over spinners. I have no idea what you’re talking about. Maybe loading a web page might be marginal. Beyond that’s it’s silly to say otherwise.

Back