Zen 3 Launch Availability

When will it be possible to buy a Zen 3 cpu without using a bot or paying Scalper rates?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
They're all fine but Zotac is the least-fine. If you can find a Zotac in stock, go for it.

Regarding the february 5900X at Amazon, I was sitting right in front of the computer and hit the 1click "buy now" button within 10 seconds of getting notified and it wouldn't add to cart. So don't feel bad. You didn't miss jack.

Man, so I trekked it out to MC again today. There was a line wrapped around the store yet again. The 3060 and 3070 were released today, so bad timing. By the time I got to the front the 5950x was sold. I knew it would be gone but stayed in line in the hopes they'd find one rolling around in the crate in the back, lol. That happens sometimes but no dice this time. I was talking to some of the guys who camped out. They said they arrived at 10, I'm assuming 10pm and he was the 14th in line lol. I heard from him a guy stalked this MC store for a 5950x and it took him two weeks but he finally got the 5950x that morning. Grr, but damn I'm ok with it cuz that guy really wanted one.

PSA, ppl stop camping out at MC!

Hey Rip let us know how it goes with the 5950X and what board your using as there seem to be some issues with them on some motherboards.
Whea errors with 5000 series cpu.
MSI meg ace and 5800X have been stable with no errors or crashes but temps were just like early 3000 series cpu's with bios over voltage the cpu and excess heat so I just set static 1.3 volts and ran her up to 48.5 multi and left it there. Doesn't go over 60C and it's worth every cent I paid.

Last edited:
Man, so I trekked it out to MC again today. There was a line wrapped around the store yet again. The 3060 and 3070 were released today, so bad timing. By the time I got to the front the 5950x was sold. I knew it would be gone but stayed in line in the hopes they'd find one rolling around in the crate in the back, lol. That happens sometimes but no dice this time. I was talking to some of the guys who camped out. They said they arrived at 10, I'm assuming 10pm and he was the 14th in line lol. I heard from him a guy stalked this MC store for a 5950x and it took him two weeks but he finally got the 5950x that morning. Grr, but damn I'm ok with it cuz that guy really wanted one.

PSA, ppl stop camping out at MC!
I wish people stopped but they won't. I walked in and brought a 3950x on release with out issue.

I wish people stopped but they won't. I walked in and brought a 3950x on release with out issue.

Yea, I remember buying my 3900x a week or two after release w/o much issue. Lmao, there are already ppl reselling their MC bought today 3070s... smh!

Hey Rip let us know how it goes with the 5950X and what board your using as there seem to be some issues with them on some motherboards.
Whea errors with 5000 series cpu.
MSI meg ace and 5800X have been stable with no errors or crashes but temps were just like early 3000 series cpu's with bios over voltage the cpu and excess heat so I just set static 1.3 volts and ran her up to 48.5 multi and left it there. Doesn't go over 60C and it's worth every cent I paid.
What I've been reading is that some of the latest AGESA patches are problematic. Which btw, I happen to have running right now with the latest BIOS for this asus tuf x570 plus. My intent is to cut the clocks down to 3200 on the memory when I first install. If stable at that point, I'll try pushing it up to 3600mhz and see what I end up with. The memory kit I'll be using is samsung b-die, pc3600 cl14.

Worst case, I may need to revert back to an older release BIOS with previous AGESA patch and see if that helps. Hoping I don't run into huge problems but we'll see, since evidently there are some things that need to be sorted.

I already have PBO disabled. That said even now with the 3800x in the machine temps and clocks fly around constantly and are not really stable. That's not unusual with ryzen, and I think I used to run a negative voltage offset to calm that down but to be honest had to reset my BIOS a few weeks back and lost the config on there. Now I'm not sure what I did to get it to stop doing that.

first AMD build in a long time...is the Balanced Power Plan the way to go with Zen 3?...with my Intel builds I always used the Performance Plan...is that not recommended with AMD?

first AMD build in a long time...is the Balanced Power Plan the way to go with Zen 3?...with my Intel builds I always used the Performance Plan...is that not recommended with AMD?
My experience with a 2700X is to leave it on "AMD Ryzen Balanced". YMMV though, as it likely depends on how you use your system.

My experience with a 2700X is to leave it on "AMD Ryzen Balanced". YMMV though, as it likely depends on how you use your system.

I thought I read that they eliminated the Ryzen Balanced Power Plan (for Zen 3 only?)

Last edited:
I don't even see a Ryzen power plan offered on my system. Might be new for Zen 3? The Windows balanced plan has been working fine for me either way.

I thought I read that they eliminated the Ryzen Balanced Power Plan (with Zen 3 only?)
I heard you don't need a specialized power plan (ryzen branded). Not sure what effect balanced vs performance would have though.

is the latest Beta 7C84v151 BIOS good?...I need to update my board via the BIOS Flash method in order to get the board to recognize my new 5800X and wanted to make sure it was the best one?...or should I flash it to the previous non-beta Patch C BIOS (I thought I read it had issues)?

is the latest Beta 7C84v151 BIOS good?...I need to update my board via the BIOS Flash method in order to get the board to recognize my new 5800X and wanted to make sure it was the best one?...or should I flash it to the previous non-beta Patch C BIOS (I thought I read it had issues)?
I suspect the name of BIOS version varies from brand to brand and what's important is the AGESA version? For example, for my ASRock (that I don't have yet), the latest non beta version seems to be 1.1.0.0 Patch C, with a current beta version that is to "Enhance AMD Ryzen 5000 CPU performance".

I suspect the name of BIOS version varies from brand to brand and what's important is the AGESA version? For example, for my ASRock (that I don't have yet), the latest non beta version seems to be 1.1.0.0 Patch C, with a current beta version that is to "Enhance AMD Ryzen 5000 CPU performance".

my mobo is the MSI X570 Tomahawk...AEGSA 1.1.0.0 Patch C was the previous official BIOS...the current MSI BIOS is a beta one which lists the main fix as "Support AMD SAM(SMART ACCESS MEMORY) function"

my mobo is the MSI X570 Tomahawk...AEGSA 1.1.0.0 Patch C was the previous official BIOS...the current MSI BIOS is a beta one which lists the main fix as "Support AMD SAM(SMART ACCESS MEMORY) function"
I'd suggest doing what all the manufacturer's say: try the latest official BIOS. If it works well for you, great! If it doesn't, then try the beta version.

That's what I intend to do with mine when it arrives next week.

I'd suggest doing what all the manufacturer's say: try the latest official BIOS. If it works well for you, great! If it doesn't, then try the beta version.

That's what I intend to do with mine when it arrives next week.
I think 151 beta was supposed add better support for RAM (anything over 3200Mhz). Hopefully a lot of major zen3 issues will be fixed in upcoming AGESA patch D.

CD the 1.1.0.0 is the microcode patch for ryzen 5000 and the enhanced beta is the BAR patch for radeon SAM. They both worked fine for my MSI meg ace but ymmv as it appears your using an ASUS board by the bios # schema?

Avoid CDW. You’ll be waiting forever.

I was going to use it as a contingency and cancel if I got it sooner. I said earlier I’d pay a $100 finders fee and their slightly inflated price roughly hits that goal for a 5950x.

My 5950x and new MB (Asrock x570 PG Velocita) arrived today! Everything works as expected, no hiccups! (One minor complaint about the MB is it doesn't have a PS/2 KB port. So I have to get a converter.)

The CPU worked w/o a BIOS flash. But the MB was one version behind, so I updated it anyhow.

Memory running at 3200, which is all it's designed for. XMP picked it up right away.

CPU-Z is giving me 666.8 single thread and 12087 multithread. This is not OC'd.

I still have to get the CPU fans under control.

Yep. Drop at AMD this morning broke their site, assume it was the same time as the 6900XT release which was well-timed by AMD for sure.

Then a drop at Best Buy which immediately went out of stock, even though they're forcing everybody to pickup in-store to stop the scalpers, which is lovely in a pandemic.

It's really frustrating.

The restock at Newegg today was pretty nice. Hope you all got what you wanted.

Yep. Drop at AMD this morning broke their site, assume it was the same time as the 6900XT release which was well-timed by AMD for sure.

Then a drop at Best Buy which immediately went out of stock, even though they're forcing everybody to pickup in-store to stop the scalpers, which is lovely in a pandemic.

It's really frustrating.
Did they have drops for the 5950x? didn't see any notifications?

I've been on the notification email list on NewEgg /Amazon since launch for the 6800/xt and Ryzen CPUs 5600x, 5800x and 5900x. Never have had one notification so far. I assume people are getting stock alerts on Discord and whatnot? I'm interested but I'm not really going to put in work for companies to take my money so.. Glad some people are getting their stuff though!

No, both drops (such as they were) today were for the 5900X.

Notification emails are useless. Discords are often slow. I recommend the Hotstock app, it comes in pretty close to running my own script. I have multiple Discords, the Hotstock app, and my own script checking every 10 seconds for the past 5 weeks working from home, picking up every notification within, I shit you not, 10 seconds-- and I haven't been able to get a 5900X or 5950X so... it ain't easy. Really you'd need to be extremely lucky to get one without a bot that actually checks-out and pays, just like the scalpers use. Or go to a Microcenter in-person.

If you're happy with a 5800X or 5600X, I could have gotten dozens of those.

No, both drops (such as they were) today were for the 5900X.

Notification emails are useless. Discords are often slow. I recommend the Hotstock app, it comes in pretty close to running my own script. I have multiple Discords, the Hotstock app, and my own script checking every 10 seconds for the past 5 weeks working from home, picking up every notification within, I shit you not, 10 seconds-- and I haven't been able to get a 5900X or 5950X so... it ain't easy. Really you'd need to be extremely lucky to get one without a bot that actually checks-out and pays, just like the scalpers use. Or go to a Microcenter in-person.

If you're happy with a 5800X or 5600X, I could have gotten dozens of those.
I used a browser plugin called Check4Change to refresh NewEgg every 30 seconds on the bundle page. Someone gave me a tip to check at 4pm PT; that's what I used to get my bundle on the 5950x.

My script checks all the bundles individually, but I had to give it a 2 minute delay so Newegg wouldn't ban me. Checking the bundles overview page is a smart move.

My script checks all the bundles individually, but I had to give it a 2 minute delay so Newegg wouldn't ban me. Checking the bundles overview page is a smart move.
Sometimes it triggers false positives if you're checking for a change on the first entry, as they seem to move around the location of the actual CPU (non bundled). Sometimes it's the first item, sometimes it's the last. But it's easier than each individual bundle.

However, when it triggers because bundles are in stock, you don't get much time to pick one. I just went with the first one on the list and only after I got all the way through check out did I go back to see what I got. :)

I've been on the notification email list on NewEgg /Amazon since launch for the 6800/xt and Ryzen CPUs 5600x, 5800x and 5900x. Never have had one notification so far. I assume people are getting stock alerts on Discord and whatnot? I'm interested but I'm not really going to put in work for companies to take my money so.. Glad some people are getting their stuff though!
Are you talking about the product notification on Newegg sites itself? Those doesn't work unfortunately. You have to follow a twitter account or one of those Discord channel as mentioned. A good rule of thumb for Newegg USA is that they restock on weekdays starting at 4PM PST.

When I started to see a bunch of drops happening at 4PM, I disregard those, go to the Newegg app on iOS and start searching for what I am looking for. A few days ago was the 3060 ti. Yesterday was the 5600x. I keep refreshing. Once I see the add to cart, I click on Apple pay so it'll be a one step payment process. Note that the restock happening on Newegg usually occurs on COMBO deals. Just buy the combo and take the $15 shipping fee to ship back the combo item if it's no use to you.

>>I just went with the first one on the list and only after I got all the way through check out did I go back to see what I got. :)

Sort the combos on price low to high so you can try the low ones first. Got my 5900X on the second lowest price combo that way.
Dropped off the crappy combo memory at the post office today. :p

So Microcenter appears to have decided to cash in on Ryzen demand. 3900XT price went from $430 -> $440 -> $550.

I am guessing people are putting together Ryzen 5000 builds, and buying whatever is in stock currently until they can get a 5600x or 5900x. The local Microcenter has the $140 3200g, and then only the 3900XT at $550. Everything else sold out.

So Microcenter appears to have decided to cash in on Ryzen demand. 3900XT price went from $430 -> $440 -> $550.

I am guessing people are putting together Ryzen 5000 builds, and buying whatever is in stock currently until they can get a 5600x or 5900x. The local Microcenter has the $140 3200g, and then only the 3900XT at $550. Everything else sold out.
I noticed this as well...I think now it's cheaper to order directly from AMD rather than MC for a 3900. Or just go Intel. You can now get a 9700k+cheap board for slightly more than a 3600 by itself.

That is why I ordered a 3000g for $50 from the AMD store on Amazon with a ship date later December. Will use that for some test build stuff until prices get normal. The Ryzen demand currently is unreal

I noticed this as well...I think now it's cheaper to order directly from AMD rather than MC for a 3900. Or just go Intel. You can now get a 9700k+cheap board for slightly more than a 3600 by itself.
Agree on intel - there is plenty of Intel stock so if you need something now, I think that intel is the way to go.

Back