Zen 3 Launch Availability

When will it be possible to buy a Zen 3 cpu without using a bot or paying Scalper rates?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Complete waste of money purchase (for gaming) is complete.

Ryzen 5900X
MSI X570 Tomahawk Wifi
GSkill Trident Z NEO 32 GB 3600 C16
Crucial MX500 1TB SSD

Rest of components will be same as sig. Only have the motherboard right now. All other items are already shipped and traveling in USA to arrive in maybe 1-1.5 weeks time to UAE.

Complete waste of money purchase (for gaming) is complete.

Ryzen 5900X
MSI X570 Tomahawk Wifi
GSkill Trident Z NEO 32 GB 3600 C16
Crucial MX500 1TB SSD

Rest of components will be same as sig. Only have the motherboard right now. All other items are already shipped and traveling in USA to arrive in maybe 1-1.5 weeks time to UAE.
Looks good. However since u are wasting money why not go for 1-2tb nvme pci 4.0 storage? :cool:

Looks good. However since u are wasting money why not go for 1-2tb nvme pci 4.0 storage? :cool:
someone with more money than me should do some real world load time tests with sata vs high end nvme drives. I swear my inland 2tb premium nvme pcie 3.0 ssd is noticeably faster than even other nvme ssds I've used.

Already have 2 NVMe storage that I can’t get out of. So for now those will have to do and the extra 1 TB was because it is the only one left that I can put in this tiny case of mine. Also because Newegg was asking me to throw in 30 bucks for free shipping eligibility so I threw 100 at them and got a spare SSD.

someone with more money than me should do some real world load time tests with sata vs high end nvme drives. I swear my inland 2tb premium nvme pcie 3.0 ssd is noticeably faster than even other nvme ssds I've used.
You could always check the Anandtech bench.

i would love to see some single tests / benchmarks written that stress single user, QD 1 use cases. Would be interesting to see the difference, if any between things like a SATA Samsung 850 pro / 970 pro / 970 evo plus / 980 pro / Intel optain.

Yeah this triggered my alert too. :( His listing is gone ... so someone either fell for it and bought it or Amazon nixed it.

I've had enough of this game. NewEgg has the 3950X on 'shell shocker' today for $659.99. That works in my existing B450 board. No questionable "beta BIOS" updates, no $300 for another board, no more trying to add non existent items to my cart.

$140 less than 5950X, so I think I came out even or maybe even ahead. And I'll have the new proc next week.

So I bought it and will sell my 2700X. I guess I'll be skipping zen 3 altogether and my next upgrade will be zen 4 and DDR5. (or maybe I have my zens mixed up and it's skipping 4 and going to 5)
I did the same thing, but it was with a used 3950x I was able to get on the cheap instead of the NewEgg shell shocker. When 5950x's are more available I'll most likely move the 3950x into a machine that currently has a 3900x, and purchase a 5950x at that time(what I use my PC's for need as many cores/threads as you can throw at it), but I'm done refreshing Best Buy's website, etc. a ton just to try to get one.

linus tech tips did a video comparing different drives a little bit ago, if I remember right there was no noticeable difference between them, for gaming anyway.

linus tech tips did a video comparing different drives a little bit ago, if I remember right there was no noticeable difference between them, for gaming anyway.
you know I think I watched that too. I'm more thinking about load times of flight simulator which seem to take forever no matter what. More new games seem to have long load times though :(

Pleasently surpised my 5900x showed up today from amazon. Was sent email it was supposed to be delivered Dec. 1st then I get another email telling me it was delivered today with a picture of the package on my porch. They could have boxed it up in a brown box with packing peanuts, instead it was in one of those white padded envelopes. Luckily none of the pins were damaged, it all looks perfect. Now I just need my preorder of the asus dark hero to ship and my system will be complete.

Attachments

• 20201128_161838.jpg
    20201128_161838.jpg
    352.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20201128_161856.jpg
    20201128_161856.jpg
    343.7 KB · Views: 0
Pleasently surpised my 5900x showed up today from amazon. Was sent email it was supposed to be delivered Dec. 1st then I get another email telling me it was delivered today with a picture of the package on my porch. They could have boxed it up in a brown box with packing peanuts, instead it was in one of those white padded envelopes. Luckily none of the pins were damaged, it all looks perfect. Now I just need my preorder of the asus dark hero to ship and my system will be complete.
yeah I guess for some reason they are putting these things in bubble envelopes. What percentage of these will get damaged in transit? An odd risk to take as a company.

Baby Mama picked up my 5800x just moments ago from Microcenter. In case anyone is looking for one they have a few in stock at the Madison Heights store in MI.

you know I think I watched that too. I'm more thinking about load times of flight simulator which seem to take forever no matter what. More new games seem to have long load times though :(
Yeah for the most part anything faster than a SATA SSD is not really going to do much for you. It's kind of like if you have a high-end GPU and play 4K games with all the settings maxed out the CPUs just kind of setting their twiddling it's thumbs for the most part. If you have a really slow CPU it can hurt your frame rate, if you have a really fast CPU you might see a few frames here and there increase but the sweet spots pretty fat. There's a few other bottlenecks there and having super duper fast storage at the moment doesn't do anything while it's spoon feeding the GPU textures and the textures are they are being decompressed and other things the video card does before you can start playing.

My 5800x from Amazon was supposed to come Monday but came today and was packaged the same way in a padded brown envelope.

My 5950 came in a box with air bubble pockets (not sure their official name!). Tonight is install night for me.

My Amazon 5950X came in a cardboard box with packing bubbles. My buddy’s 5800X from Amazon came in a cardboard box that looked to be about the same size (hard to tell from the photo he sent me) but without any packing bubbles.

I'm just hoping that I'll be able to get one from Best Buy this month, as I've got a 10% birthday coupon that would be better spent on a CPU than a PS5.

...And if neither of those are available, uh... I dunno o_O
I loaded up on new Watercool res/pump combos. Sure nuff, nothing I needed was on 'black friday deals.

got mine up and running.
In the process of installing apps and migrating some data
IMG_0116.JPEG

Last edited:
North Jersey Microcenter has over 20 5800x in stock if anyone is interested. I'm holding out for a 5900x, so I paased on it..

I really want a 5900x, however I don't see those ever advertised as available in MC (Looking at Chicago/Westmont). Anyone know if they just don't post them on the website?

I really want a 5900x, however I don't see those ever advertised as available in MC (Looking at Chicago/Westmont). Anyone know if they just don't post them on the website?
That would be my assumption. I have never seen my local MC store page(Northeast Ohio) show a 5900x or 5950x in stock not even a single time. The 5800x the one day showed 25 in stock. I'm sure they had to have been getting occasional 5900x's and 5950x's. It's a bit of a drive for me to get there, so I don't want to head up there all the time in search for a processor that may not be there.

That would be my assumption. I have never seen my local MC store page(Northeast Ohio) show a 5900x or 5950x in stock not even a single time. The 5800x the one day showed 25 in stock. I'm sure they had to have been getting occasional 5900x's and 5950x's. It's a bit of a drive for me to get there, so I don't want to head up there all the time in search for a processor that may not be there.
Im' in the same boat. 40+ miles one way. I went for an RTX 3080 once and it was gone by the time I got there.

I don't really need anything outside of maybe a 6800XT/RTX 3080 for my linux box, or the 5900x....and I figure the chance of MC having any of the three is near/at zero.

Im' in the same boat. 40+ miles one way. I went for an RTX 3080 once and it was gone by the time I got there.

I don't really need anything outside of maybe a 6800XT/RTX 3080 for my linux box, or the 5900x....and I figure the chance of MC having any of the three is near/at zero.

I am after a 5950x and probably would also pick up another 3070 if the opportunity presented itself but I'm not actively looking for one. It would have been hard for me to walk by the $300 i9 9900k + a discounted motherboard to upgrade a non primary machine I have even though most of my stuff is AMD. That deal appears to be sold out now as well at least at my local MC, so I'm not risking an hour drive each way up there to be empty handed.

My 5800X showed up from Amazon yesterday. I was debating sending it back and waiting for a 5900X, but I am not really doing much these days that needs the extra cores all that often, so I decided to keep it and use the $100 saved to absorb some of the cost of getting a 6800XT or 3080, which I would benefit from far more.

My 5800X ordered from Amazon early Nov 21 arrived yesterday, Nov 28. Pulled the 2700X out of an Asus Prime X570 P and installed the new chip. Civ VI Gathering Storm AI benchmark went from 66 sec per turn to 31 sec. Witcher 3 @ 4K with a 6800 went from sinking to 40 fps riding through the land to 68-72 fps. I've seen 2 cores boosted to 5050MHz at the same time. Definitely satisfied with the purchase.

It's a great time to build a new AMD-based computer, they said.
Sure it is. Here's a quick cut and paste composite picture I made from of most of Newegg's Ryzen 2 and 3 and Threadripper gen2 stock as of right now, 2020-11-29 at or around 11:05pm EDT in no particular order:

Only the extremely niche 3990X and ridiculous 3900XT are in stock.
What a deal on the 3990X, too. Only $109 more than the MSRP of $3990.
Absolutely amazing and crazy times right now.
And tomorrow is Cyber Monday! AMD CPUs for everyone!

Are you actually building something, or just here to complain?

You're "Asus Crosshair VII Hero Wifi X470 | AMD 2700X w/NH-D15S" seems pretty up to date. The only thing to upgrade is the CPU. Anyways, make sure you post in the MB, PS, Cooling and case forums as well. I can't wait.

You're "Asus Crosshair VII Hero Wifi X470 | AMD 2700X w/NH-D15S" seems pretty up to date. The only thing to upgrade is the CPU. Anyways, make sure you post in the MB, PS, Cooling and case forums as well. I can't wait.
Thanks for your opinion and snark. You are right, though. I'll just delete my post as it does not help this thread. Just thought it was an interesting snapshot in time to see almost all Ryzen CPUs OOS at once.

Reactions: Mega6
like this
I'd like to build something. But the MB, CPU, Cooler, and case are all out of stock.
This is why I jumped on the 3950X deal NewEgg had starting on BF and extending at least a day or two into the weekend.

That said, my 3950X isn't slated to arrive for a few days, so I'm back to watching for a 5950X to show up in stock. :)

WOW. A 5900X in your hand!

Thanks for your opinion and snark. You are right, though. I'll just delete my post as it does not help this thread. Just thought it was an interesting snapshot in time to see almost all Ryzen CPUs OOS at once.
Relax, TSMC is cranking up and this will be over soon. At least as far as CPU and GPUs are.

Newegg is blocking IPs. Who do they think is buying all the RTX 3000s and AMD 5000s within seconds of them being listed. I was just trying to get a 5950x for myself and never saw a add to cart button the last few times and have not see any of their Auto Notify email since this all started. Maybe release those first and block orders from iffy accounts or let long standing accounts just place a pre order like I did for the SN850.

Website use​

You agree to use Newegg.com website (the "Website") only for purposes that are permitted by this Policy & Agreement and any applicable law, regulation or generally accepted practices or guidelines in the relevant jurisdictions. You agree that you will not access or attempt to access the Website other than through the interface that is provided by Newegg.com, unless you have specifically been permitted to do so in a separate written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Newegg.com. You specifically agree not to access or attempt to access the Website, or any portion thereof, through any automated means, including but not limited to the use of scripts or web crawlers. You agree that you will not engage in any activity that disrupts or otherwise interferes with the Website (or the servers and networks which are connected to the Website). You agree that you will not duplicate, reproduce, copy, sell, trade or resell the Website for any purpose. You agree that you are solely responsible for any breach of your obligations under this Policy & Agreement and for the consequences (including any loss or damage which Newegg.com may suffer) of any such breach.

Last edited:
Reactions: noko
like this
Newegg is blocking IPs. Who do they think is buying all the RTX 3000s and AMD 5000s within seconds of them being listed. I was just trying to get a 5950x for myself and never saw a add to cart button.

Website use​

You agree to use Newegg.com website (the "Website") only for purposes that are permitted by this Policy & Agreement and any applicable law, regulation or generally accepted practices or guidelines in the relevant jurisdictions. You agree that you will not access or attempt to access the Website other than through the interface that is provided by Newegg.com, unless you have specifically been permitted to do so in a separate written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Newegg.com. You specifically agree not to access or attempt to access the Website, or any portion thereof, through any automated means, including but not limited to the use of scripts or web crawlers. You agree that you will not engage in any activity that disrupts or otherwise interferes with the Website (or the servers and networks which are connected to the Website). You agree that you will not duplicate, reproduce, copy, sell, trade or resell the Website for any purpose. You agree that you are solely responsible for any breach of your obligations under this Policy & Agreement and for the consequences (including any loss or damage which Newegg.com may suffer) of any such breach.
About time!!

Back