zalman thermal paste vs. as5

sumofatguy

Gawd
Hi, I intstalled my heatsink on my cpu with the zalman thermalpaste that came with the zalman 9500... I was wondering what kind of difference temperature wise some arctic silver would make. I dont really want to run out and spend $15 on some thermal paste if it really won't make a noticable difference. thanks

RazorWind

2[H]4U
It might make a couple of degrees difference.

The thermal paste that came with the Zalman heatsink was the normal white greasy stuff, right?

sumofatguy

Gawd
haha yeah it was the white greasy stuff... I was wondering if it was worth buying or not... right now I'm at 32C idle and about 44-45C burn, and was planning on ocing a tiny bit more, so a couple of degrees would help a bit

_Korruption_

Supreme [H]ardness
sumofatguy said:
haha yeah it was the white greasy stuff... I was wondering if it was worth buying or not... right now I'm at 32C idle and about 44-45C burn, and was planning on ocing a tiny bit more, so a couple of degrees would help a bit
Those temperatures aren't bad. I would only change out to something better once you have the heatsink off. Until then, don't worry.

sumofatguy

Gawd
hmmm ok i have just replaced the zalman white goo with some as5, and my temperatures have increased by 4C... does it take a while to set or did i just apply it wrong somehow?

KaptainBlaZzed

Limp Gawd
sumofatguy said:
hmmm ok i have just replaced the zalman white goo with some as5, and my temperatures have increased by 4C... does it take a while to set or did i just apply it wrong somehow?

it does take a few days to set in, but after set in the temps will only decreasy by 2-3C. I would have to say that you did not get a good mount this time and you should remount the HSF.

vanilla_guerilla

Supreme [H]ardness
sounds like maybe you did somethig wrong. it does take a little while to cure tho. i am looking for the link where they tested as5 vs white stuff vs toothpaste and found less than 1 degree difference. dont sweat the small stuff.