Zalman CNPS9700LED

the stock cooler costs 0$ and offers the same performance. This "heat pipe" technology is a gimmick, did they actually run engineering tests for it or they just slapped on copper pipes and placed a rediculous price tag?

Ok then try to OC a 6600 to 3Ghz on stock and then with the 9700. Compare the temperatures. Of course they do tests on the heatpipes - I have no evidence for this at all, however companies of that scale do not tend to 'slap' things on and hope for them to work...

One thing I notice in these "reviews" of heat sinks is that they usually don't include the stock cooler in the comparison graphs, nor do they include the ambient temperature.

I read that article and I'm not too sure I believe the part about the Zalman TIM. I have tested ZM-STG1 that comes with the Zalman 9700 HSF's. I have tested the Shin-Etsu TIM
and I have come to my own conclusion. NOTHING beats good ole' Artic Silver 5 TIM, of course this is only my opinion.
Also, I think you'd have to be living in a cave not to see the advantages of "heat pipes" and personally I think the stock Intel HSF's suck big time. (both performance wise and installation wise)

Edit: I don't know much about the stock AMD HSF's, but I've read where they are pretty good.

what is the benefit of dropping 70-90$ on a cooler to push a couple extra hundred mhz out of a chip compared to a more than decent oc with stock hsf, when you can just get the next higher model of the chip for the same price and overclock it with the stock HSF. lol.

the stock cooler costs 0$ and offers the same performance. This "heat pipe" technology is a gimmick, did they actually run engineering tests for it or they just slapped on copper pipes and placed a rediculous price tag?

hahah well i for one know that the stock cooler does not do quiet the same job.. worse temps and higher noise volume.. but thats not why i got myne.. i buy them since they look cool! hahahha .. so far ive bought 3 9700led's and 1 9700NTled.. paid from 30-50$ shipped for them and worth it to me. .

oh ya i used both ac5 and zalman paste.. i dont think it matters a whole lot just dont use to much.. (prob 1C diff if that)

do you guys think I should remount my 9700 at stock speeds it's idling at about 35C and when I O'C to 3.36 it idles at 45C with loads of low 60s? My ambient temperature is mid to high 20s

Great HSF. Im running @ 1.45Vcore and it still cool @ 44c Idle.

And to make a statement on page 1. That Zalman paste = garbage.
I use Artic Silver 5 (AS5) and I get better temps.

AS5 Ftw.

Great HSF. Im running @ 1.45Vcore and it still cool @ 44c Idle.

And to make a statement on page 1. That Zalman paste = garbage.
I use Artic Silver 5 (AS5) and I get better temps.

AS5 Ftw.

I agree 100% on the Artic Silver 5 being the best TIM over any of the others, but I wouldn't goes as far as putting the Zalman ZM-STG1 TIM in the "garbage" class. It's easy to apply to your mobo chips and video card HS's. I have replaced the factory TIM (looks too much like "bubble gum") with it on several mobos and cards, my latest were the HS's on a Asus P5B Deluxe and 2x Biostar TForce P965's. One of the first boards I did was a Abit AW9D-MAX and a Asrock 775DUAL-VSTA. (just like lapping, I got into the habit automatically) Plus, from what I understand, it works sufficient if you don't have any AS5. (not as good in my book, but sufficient)

Edit: Oh yeah, so as not to completely "thread jack" IMO the Zalman 9700 HSF is one "dynamite" HSF. ATM ambient temp 25c (indoor/outdoor thermometer), folding 24/7 with a E6600 OC'ed to 3 GHz (FSB 333, vcore 1.328 according to CPU Z) in a Antec 900 case (I do love the Antec 900) I'm registering with Core Temp and Speedfan a "rocking" 37c to 39c.

Back