Z77 system. Good or bad idea?

nakedhand

2[H]4U
It has been decades, in technology time, since I bought a new PC, so I Just want to make sure I haven´t screwed up too much ;)

Usage: Gaming and Image processing. Will be OC' ed.
Reason to upgrade: Bored with current system. Need slightly better power consumption, newer tech and features, maybe a few fps when gaming and plan on retiring this new build in 1-2 years as a HTPC, hence the form factor.

PARTS: UNDECIDED RIGHT NOW, researching and getting up to speed on current tech.

MB: ROG something...
CPU: i7-3820, i73770K ?
Cooler: ?
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1.5v 1866MHz, CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9
GPU: Big Kepler to drive 3 x 24" (until then good old HD5870 to drive 1 x 1920x1200)
PSU: Old one in sig
SSD: Crucial M4 128GB

Last edited:
As slh28 noted, that CPU (Socket LGA2011) is completely incompatible with that motherboard socket (LGA1155). So go for the Ivy Bridge i5 3570K or i7 3770K instead when those CPUs are released.

RAM wise, more than likely you won't need 1866Mhz RAM as current SB CPUs do not benefit that much from higher speed RAM. In fact, you really wouldn't notice the diffference between DDR3 1333 and DDR3 2400 with current SB CPUs. With that said, that may be different with the IB CPUs so I recommend waiting until reviews of those CPUs comes out to purchase the RAM.

Wrong motherboard. You need an X79 for the i7 3820 (it's SB-E)

It was indeed a bad idea! Thanks slh28. I feel like a complete noob again. I had a hunch that there might be an issue like this. Man, you saved my day here. Got very close to placing that order :eek:

So now I need to figure out if I should just go with the i7 2600K instead and keep the rest of the setup as described or embark on X79 Mobo selection process and stick with the i7 3820. I better start reading X79 reviews.

As slh28 noted, that CPU (Socket LGA2011) is completely incompatible with that motherboard socket (LGA1155). So go for the Ivy Bridge i5 3570K or i7 3770K instead when those CPUs are released.

RAM wise, more than likely you won't need 1866Mhz RAM as current SB CPUs do not benefit that much from higher speed RAM. In fact, you really wouldn't notice the diffference between DDR3 1333 and DDR3 2400 with current SB CPUs. With that said, that may be different with the IB CPUs so I recommend waiting until reviews of those CPUs comes out to purchase the RAM.

Thanks for the great tips. It´s pretty impressive that I managed to select non matching sockets, that´s a first :p

Are the CPUs you mention showing up for sale in the near future?

I would just go to the socket 2011 version of the board (Newegg also has 2 other mATX 2011 boards much cheaper)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131805

a Couple other small changes.. Go to Low profile ram. Running a big cooler its almost always a good ideal. Depending on your case though I would probably opt for a corsair H80 or H100 if you can. More flexibility, especially when working in a small area then that very large Noctua.

Other thing is I dont see a PSU in your sig.

I would just go to the socket 2011 version of the board (Newegg also has 2 other mATX 2011 boards much cheaper)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131805

a Couple other small changes.. Go to Low profile ram. Running a big cooler its almost always a good ideal. Depending on your case though I would probably opt for a corsair H80 or H100 if you can. More flexibility, especially when working in a small area then that very large Noctua.

Other thing is I dont see a PSU in your sig.

Looks like an interesting MB. I would definitely prefer to buy new tech, since I want to retire this machine to a HTPC that hopefully can operate a few years without becoming too dated.

I was wondering if the Noctua would be too large as well. I want to stick with air cooling though.

My PSU is the Zalmann ZM850 HP, low profile RAM idea is noted! Thanks :)

I have read alot into the memory speed/latency for my own personal overclocking. Unless you plan on beating world records, ddr3 1600 at 9,9,9,24 is generally where its at, not much more then a set of 1333 and quite a few less then 1866 or faster. Games do show a very slight advantage with higher speed memory, work tasks like ripping movies etc do by far benefit from faster overall memory, however, if the cpu is not able to clock up to meet the added memory bandwidth, then it does become pointless.

I read about a kit of Gskill, the 2400 stuff. vs average timing 1600 kit 9/10 they showed the same performance, for games difference was 1FPS, worktasks on the other hand shaved something like 0.3-0.6 seconds off the same work. Intel chips if I recall also do not directly rely on the memory speed for thier dividers for overclocking purposes like they used to(far as I know)

Sandy-E if a new build(sets you up to drop in a Ivy-E cpu in a couple months time) or sandy-B if upgrading a current build(and allows a drop in Ivy-B cpu) all depends on you. Sandy-E is just a bump vs Sandy-B and just has some more features with the motherboards themselves, I would price them both out accordingly and see what seems like a better $ deal to you.

Coolermaster X6 elite is also a very good cooler, not huge, there is also Noctua NH-L12 as well as other models such as C14 etc. If you want very good clocking headroom, that only leaves so many coolers there. X6 Elite(good ram clearence and not to huge compared to most) and the mentioned H50-H100, if you are really crafty something like H50 can be had a bit on the $ side, but you can always "mod" it takes couple minutes and it can easily go push/pull, great performance, decent price(compared to say the H80)

It's an 800 year old Lian Li PC82 , dont make me buy a new case lol

No way a Noctua D14 is fitting in there... that's a seriously old skool case haha.
If you're serious about getting a GK110 card if/when it comes out you really need to get a new case because I doubt that will fit either.

No way a Noctua D14 is fitting in there... that's a seriously old skool case haha.
If you're serious about getting a GK110 card if/when it comes out you really need to get a new case because I doubt that will fit either.

That cooler is huge! Yes it´s an ancient case, but so far I have had no reason to upgrade it. It does the job beautifully and I never look at my case so I don´t care whether it´s fashionable or not.

I will make sure to check the dimensions and clearance space before getting a GK110.

How does that case work thermal wise? I had similar Lian Li a couple years ago with the 80MM fan setup like your and it just was like a oven in there when overclocking. I would be concerned all the new components you are getting won't be kept cool enough to get the maximum potential for overclocking. I would look into a new case tbh.

I understand your hesitation, but you would be doing yourself a favor by getting a new case of decent quality. You dont need to spend alot as a NZXT Vulcan (mATX) would do you well & be about 70 bucks. Or the Coolermaster Haf 912 is typically about 60 & would hold everything fine as well. Plus both would have much better cooling & be easier to work in then what you have. If for no other reason then upgrade your case based on temps & the fact that heat kills electronics.

Also look at it like this.. Say that 95 dollar big ass noctura did fit in your existing case.. well your out 95 bucks & going to ahve hot air circulating over that cooler so its effect is going to be limited. As an alternative you can get the Haf 912 + Hyper 212 and you will then have cool air passing through a good heatsink & you would end up with lower temps for 92 out of pocket. Plus it would be a quieter case due to no little fans.

I have read alot into the memory speed/latency for my own personal overclocking. Unless you plan on beating world records, ddr3 1600 at 9,9,9,24 is generally where its at, not much more then a set of 1333 and quite a few less then 1866 or faster. Games do show a very slight advantage with higher speed memory, work tasks like ripping movies etc do by far benefit from faster overall memory, however, if the cpu is not able to clock up to meet the added memory bandwidth, then it does become pointless.

I read about a kit of Gskill, the 2400 stuff. vs average timing 1600 kit 9/10 they showed the same performance, for games difference was 1FPS, worktasks on the other hand shaved something like 0.3-0.6 seconds off the same work. Intel chips if I recall also do not directly rely on the memory speed for thier dividers for overclocking purposes like they used to(far as I know)

Sandy-E if a new build(sets you up to drop in a Ivy-E cpu in a couple months time) or sandy-B if upgrading a current build(and allows a drop in Ivy-B cpu) all depends on you. Sandy-E is just a bump vs Sandy-B and just has some more features with the motherboards themselves, I would price them both out accordingly and see what seems like a better $ deal to you.

Coolermaster X6 elite is also a very good cooler, not huge, there is also Noctua NH-L12 as well as other models such as C14 etc. If you want very good clocking headroom, that only leaves so many coolers there. X6 Elite(good ram clearence and not to huge compared to most) and the mentioned H50-H100, if you are really crafty something like H50 can be had a bit on the $ side, but you can always "mod" it takes couple minutes and it can easily go push/pull, great performance, decent price(compared to say the H80)

While I am aware that the MHz gains won´t translate into very significant performance gains, I thought that I would need to extra MHz capability for overclocking my CPU like I did back in the "old days" of Q2D. Thanks for the insights and cooler suggestions, much appreciated :)

I am going to wait for reviews of the 3770K and then decide on whether to go LGA1155 or 2011. I am rather disoriented right now from lack of following CPU and chipset tech the last 4 years, and just decided to not rush anything.

How does that case work thermal wise? I had similar Lian Li a couple years ago with the 80MM fan setup like your and it just was like a oven in there when overclocking. I would be concerned all the new components you are getting won't be kept cool enough to get the maximum potential for overclocking. I would look into a new case tbh.

It´s varm and noisy and I don´t like it much. I live in a very cold climate and its next to a cold outer wall, so I actually never have temp problems. Cores are between 40-48 C right now, playing music and running a few clients.

I want a new case, but I kind of hate buying cases. When I got my current case I paid $350 for it. I can not buy cheap crap, I just can't. I like Corsair cases but might stick with Lian Li and get a larger case this time. My plan is not a huge overclock, rather just a bit and rock solid, of course as you say, temps play a key part in this.

I understand your hesitation, but you would be doing yourself a favor by getting a new case of decent quality. You dont need to spend alot as a NZXT Vulcan (mATX) would do you well & be about 70 bucks. Or the Coolermaster Haf 912 is typically about 60 & would hold everything fine as well. Plus both would have much better cooling & be easier to work in then what you have. If for no other reason then upgrade your case based on temps & the fact that heat kills electronics.

Also look at it like this.. Say that 95 dollar big ass noctura did fit in your existing case.. well your out 95 bucks & going to ahve hot air circulating over that cooler so its effect is going to be limited. As an alternative you can get the Haf 912 + Hyper 212 and you will then have cool air passing through a good heatsink & you would end up with lower temps for 92 out of pocket. Plus it would be a quieter case due to no little fans.

So maybe it is time to get a new case. See this is what happens once you post here :D

The urge is certainly there, but it is a major challenge to find the right case. It´s so difficult for me that it ended up keeping this old Lian Li for so long. Maybe something like this?

http://www.lian-li.com/v2/en/produc...ex=576&cl_index=1&sc_index=26&ss_index=66&g=f

Last edited:
Why so picky on the case? You mentioned earlier you don't even look at it... so just pick one that's quiet and has decent airflow.

Lian Li cases are nice, but overpriced for what they are IMO.

Why so picky on the case? You mentioned earlier you don't even look at it... so just pick one that's quiet and has decent airflow.

Lian Li cases are nice, but overpriced for what they are IMO.

I am not sure. I am just picky with build quality of everything in general. I like the Corsair 800D very much too and kind of find the see through panel an interesting thought, since I never had that. It calls for some wicked LED lighting inside. Then surely the case would have to be place in plain sight :D

Do you have any recommendations for a quality case?

I recommend the following cases:
$100 - Corsair Carbide Series 400R ATX Case
$100 - Lian Li PC-7B Plus II ATX Case
$118 - Corsair Carbide Series 500R ATX Case
$120 - Fractal Design Define R3 Arctic White ATX Case
$120 - Fractal Design Define R3 Silver Arrow ATX Case
$125 - Fractal Design Define R3 Black Pearl ATX Case
$120 - Lian Li PC-9F ATX Case
$120 - NZXT Phantom PHAN-001WT White Full Tower ATX Case
$130 - NZXT Phantom PHAN-001BK Black Full Tower ATX Case
$130 - NZXT Phantom PHAN-002OR Black Finish w/Orange Trim Full Tower ATX Case
$140 - Antec P280 ATX Case
$140 - Antec Performance One Series P183 V3 ATX Case
$140 - Corsair Obsidian Series 550D ATX Case
$144 - Silverstone RV03B-WA ATX case
$150 - Silverstone TJ04B-EW ATX Case
$160 - Corsair Graphite Series 600TM ATX Case
$160 - Silverstone RV02B-W ATX case
$164 - Corsair Special Edition White Graphite Series 600T ATX Case
$178 - Silverstone RV02B-EW ATX case
$170 - Corsair Obsidian Series 650D ATX Case
$220 - Silverstone FT02S-W ATX Case
$230 - Silverstone FT02B ATX Case
$270 - Corsair Obsidian Series 800D CC800DW Full Tower ATX Case

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I recommend the following cases:
$100 - Corsair Carbide Series 400R ATX Case
$100 - Lian Li PC-7B Plus II ATX Case
$118 - Corsair Carbide Series 500R ATX Case
$120 - Fractal Design Define R3 Arctic White ATX Case
$120 - Fractal Design Define R3 Silver Arrow ATX Case
$125 - Fractal Design Define R3 Black Pearl ATX Case
$120 - Lian Li PC-9F ATX Case
$120 - NZXT Phantom PHAN-001WT White Full Tower ATX Case
$130 - NZXT Phantom PHAN-001BK Black Full Tower ATX Case
$130 - NZXT Phantom PHAN-002OR Black Finish w/Orange Trim Full Tower ATX Case
$140 - Antec P280 ATX Case
$140 - Antec Performance One Series P183 V3 ATX Case
$140 - Corsair Obsidian Series 550D ATX Case
$144 - Silverstone RV03B-WA ATX case
$150 - Silverstone TJ04B-EW ATX Case
$160 - Corsair Graphite Series 600TM ATX Case
$160 - Silverstone RV02B-W ATX case
$164 - Corsair Special Edition White Graphite Series 600T ATX Case
$178 - Silverstone RV02B-EW ATX case
$170 - Corsair Obsidian Series 650D ATX Case
$220 - Silverstone FT02S-W ATX Case
$230 - Silverstone FT02B ATX Case
$270 - Corsair Obsidian Series 800D CC800DW Full Tower ATX Case

Thank you so much. Will check these out! :)

I really like the Silverstone FT02B. It's almost $500 in Denmark I see.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Danny's list is a good starting point, but there are allot of other out there as well in the same price ranges. Given that your in Europe the Fractal Design cases should be easy to come by (easier then here in the US anyway). On top of the Define series listed above the Arc Midi (ATX) & Arc Mini (mATX) would also do you well.

If you are still planning on sticking with a mATX motherboard if it was me I would lean towards the Arc Mini. It has good airflow with a solid simple design & even though its a small case its still big enough to hold pretty much any hardware you throw at it.

There is also
NZXT source 210 ELITE/ Tempest 410 ELITE
Cougar Evolution
Enermax Fulmo, Fulmo GT, Fulmo Advanced
Raidmax Blackstorm
Raidmax Viper
Akasa Venom Toxic
Rosewill Blackhawk Ultra

Alot of these and the ones danny listed are excellent cases, all depends on your budget, needs, tastes.

I have a Raven 3 and love it, it does take some extra wiring time to get a nice clean look, and you need some longer then usual sata cables, but if you watch what you are doing, the Raven 2E and Raven 3 are simply excellent aircooling cases with tons of room. The Enermax Fulmo series as well as Raidmax Viper and
Akasa Venom Toxic are apprently top notch designs in all regards, worth a look at :)

Back