Z690 mainboard for OC / gaming

shadowj

Limp Gawd
I want to upgrade to i9 12900K and I'm not sure which mainboard I should get. DDR4 ? DDR 5 ?
Right now I have the I7 9700k OC@ 5 GHz with 32 GB DDR4, RTX 3090, 4k resolution
Which mainboard would you recommend, guys ?
About the RAM type : should I go with DDR5 ? 32 or 64 GB ???
I play 95 % flight simulators
Any advices are welcome, thank you

I don't know alot of them only have X4 Sata ports or X6 some have none but if you pay a permium they have x6 or on the Asrock Taichi x7 of them still. I wish I could read in the future about how long they will continue having Sata III ports. I would go with Asus if I were you some of the Gigabyte boards are nice looking but reviews will tell.Also there is like ZERO DDR5 on any website. Untill they have all the parts in stock it's going to be a while if I do upgrade.

Last edited:
Hold on for reviews. Then plan on a literal marathon session because everyone will be competing for your your eyes at the same time. Same with ddr4 vs ddr5 reviews. Its the biggest question on the net, next to "is AL going to be as good as Intel says it will be"?
So get those bookmarks fired up and ready to go!

Some of these boards do look nice, but just remember, the difference in actual performance between overclocking on a $300 board vs. a $1000 board is probably 2%.

Memory issues could be a problem usually Asrock are pretty good with memory brands. Ram might be sold out the entire year and next year.

We can't really provide you with credible suggestions when no reviews really exist for any of these products.

Reactions: Dan_D
like this
I'm not sure if I should go for DDR4 or DDR5
After I've done some research, people say, DDR5 would not be a good choice right now.
If I get a mainboard, DDR4 compatible, and I want to upgrade from DDR4 to DDR5, I'll have to change / upgrade the mainboard, again.
What do you think, guys ?

If history is ANY indicator, being a early adopter of DDR5 will be a waste of your time and money.

Okay, I'll go with DDR4. Anyway, for gaming, I guess, the CPU + GPU ( SSD vs HDD, as well ) is more important than the RAM.
Thank you

Which DDR4 would you recommend, guys?
Gaming, mostly.
I'm not sure which mainboard I should get but I think it's the Asus ROG Strix Z690 A Gaming Wi-Fi D4 with the I9 12900k
Budget, about 280 - 300 euros.
Thank you.

Thank you.
Is it OK with 2 x 16 GB DDR4, 16 CL, 4000 mhz ?
16 - 16 - 16 - 36

I ordered this DDR4, someone said, on a different forum, it's not compatible with the Asus ROG Strix Z690 A Gaming Wi-Fi D4
CL, he said it's not compatible
I'm confused now

He's talking out of his neck. At worst, you may need to tweak your timings. Even that is highly unlikely.
Do yourself a big favor and stop taking advice from this meathead.
He said, he installed ( hardware ) more than 1500 PCs in his life
I just can't wait to get the components, and show him some MemTest photos.
I'm 100 %, some guys here are right.
I am not an expert, but with all the mainboards I had in the past, I never checked the QVL mainboards
And never had issues with it
I'll report back after I have the components
Thank you, again.

I am not an expert, but with all the mainboards I had in the past, I never checked the QVL mainboards
Thank you, again.
If your RAM doesn't work 100% ----- make sure to update your motherboard BIOS.

BIOS updates often improve RAM compatibility.

Thank you, again.
Its sad how frequently you will see some random internet knowitall try to cover up a foot in the mouth moment, by saying something just like that. As is if it excuses away the stupidity of the first. It simply makes it that much worse.
Memory QVL lists are a great guideline to go off of if you have no idea what ics, timings, or speeds to look for. It by no means is the end all be all in compatibility. Which is what that meathead is trying to imply. In todays pc community, rarely if ever, will you be left with a single resource for solid choices.
From what I've seen of AL and ddr4 you made an excellent decision. Like i said before, at worst, you may need to tweak your timings to 16-16-16 in gear 1 but i doubt you will even have to do that. If they don't work with xmp settings out of the gate I would be very surprised.

Here is a printscreen with CPU Z
I have 2 x 16 GB
Slot 3 and 4
Does it matter ? Should I put them in slot 1 and 2 ?
I'll have to update the BIOS, there is a newer version ( 0605 ) and I have the version 0404

Attachments

• cpu z.jpg
    cpu z.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 0
Here is a printscreen with CPU Z
I have 2 x 16 GB
Slot 3 and 4
Does it matter ? Should I put them in slot 1 and 2 ?
I'll have to update the BIOS, there is a newer version ( 0605 ) and I have the version 0404
You'll have to check your mb manual. Its usually 2 and 4.

Okay, I will, thank you
I'll have to watch some tutorials about OC. Should I disable the Turbo / EIST, if I OC the CPU ?

Weird, I only can see 4 cores / 8 threads.
BIOS has the latest version, 0707, tried with BIOS settings default, as well.
Tried with MSCONFIG - Boot - Advanced options.
8 Processors.
Could it be because of the RAM ? I doubt it, tbh

Everything is okay now
Windowds Safe Mode reboot - command prompt - bcdedit/deletevalue {default} numproc

Attachments

• cpuz.jpg
    cpuz.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 0
  • msconfig.jpg
    msconfig.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 0
Back