Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR5... frequently have mouse / keyboard not responding when starting / waking.

atarione

2[H]4U
I have an issue that is becoming "problematic" for several reasons.

Middle of last year, I built a new pc w/ i7-12700K and Aorus Elite AX ddr5 motherboard (bios F23/23b and F7 have all had this same issue), 32GB DDR5 5600 (corsair) and a 2TB Samsung 980 Pro, 3070FE and Seasonic X750 mk2 PSU, Windows 11 22H2 /fully updated.

I do not think this thing did this at first (don't remember when it started) however the last few months this computer has a VERY annoying habit of occasionally having mouse / keyboard (sometimes both) unresponsive when starting up or resuming from sleepmode...unplugging and plugging them back in results in them functioning as normal again, sometimes for a week or two even or sometimes a day or less before this same issue reoccurs.

For various reasons, my case is HUGE nzxt H630 and I have a lot of audio gear/ speakers on my desk, My pc is under my desk on a rolling cart. It is now problematic for me to get down on the floor and crawl under desk to unplug and plug in these peripherals (other usb devices / DAC ... wireless trackball...etc do not have any issue). The main problem is I have hip problem and need to have hip surgery, making getting down on floor to mess with this pc difficult / painful.

If anyone has any similar experiences with Z690 motherboard / solutions I would love to hear from you, I may have to change this rig out If I can't figure this out soon as having to get down under desk several times a week, is not really viable given my hip / arthritis situation.

I have tried various USB ports on the MB btw. Keyboard is Filco MT2 TKL and mouse is a Sensei Ten. Occasionally restarting the pc will get the peripherals going again, however 8 times out of ten the only thing that works is to crawl under desk and unplug / plug in again the mouse and keyboard... sometimes one works but not the other as well when the issue occurs it is quite infuriating if I am honest.

Last edited:
1. My experience is sleep/hibernation mode is wonky with windows use screen saver instead.
2. Is mouse or KB wireless? Sometimes PSU interferes with dongle move it to the front USB. My old Xbox PC controller did this.
3. Go into BIOS and check USB power settings options.

DDR5 machines have some issues with sleep when using XMP/expo because DDR5 has its own sleep state that it can enter at any time its idle unless you shut it off.

Have you thought about just... not using sleep? Like if its this annoying the extra 8 seconds of a full boot seems like a small price to pay. Powercfg -h off, sleep off, C-states for sleep off, no problems. I thought that was basic desktop installation these days with most machines only taking like 25-30w to idle. I've never seen anyone besides ultra-thin laptop users banking on sleep mode recently.

Hello, cheers thank you for the replies.
1. My experience is sleep/hibernation mode is wonky with windows use screen saver instead.
2. Is mouse or KB wireless? Sometimes PSU interferes with dongle move it to the front USB. My old Xbox PC controller did this.
3. Go into BIOS and check USB power settings options.
1. Issue happens on cold boot / restart as well
2. Both mouse and keyboard are wired, I do however have a Wireless trackball that I use sometimes and it has not had the issue, but both wired keyboard and mouse have.
3. Only thing I could see in the Bios USB settings that might be messing with it was XHCI Handoff? I switched it to disable (os driver will handle it / from default "enabled" that was described as work around for OS w/out XHCI support.....

as issue is intermittent, I can not say if this has helped or not issue may not occure for days / week or it may happen 3times in one day... so far 2~days later it hasn't happened again after changing XHCI setting but I can't say if that means it has had an effect or not the issue?
Try a powered hub.
Yeah, I am going to move mouse and keyboard to the hub I have on my desk (powered) as it is too difficult to have to crawl under desk semi frequently...at least on desk I can more easily unplug mouse /keyboard and plug them back in.
DDR5 machines have some issues with sleep when using XMP/expo because DDR5 has its own sleep state that it can enter at any time its idle unless you shut it off.

Have you thought about just... not using sleep? Like if its this annoying the extra 8 seconds of a full boot seems like a small price to pay. Powercfg -h off, sleep off, C-states for sleep off, no problems. I thought that was basic desktop installation these days with most machines only taking like 25-30w to idle. I've never seen anyone besides ultra-thin laptop users banking on sleep mode recently.
Hmm... I will have to look at the DDR5 settings as I do have XMP enabled.

This issue happens on resume or cold boot / restarts as well, however it is very intermittent sometimes not happening for a week or more and other times happening 3 times in one day.

But if the previously mentioned XHCI setting in bios fails to solve this I will try disabling sleep and see if that changes anything i guess?

Hmm... I will have to look at the DDR5 settings as I do have XMP enabled.

This issue happens on resume or cold boot / restarts as well, however it is very intermittent sometimes not happening for a week or more and other times happening 3 times in one day.

But if the previously mentioned XHCI setting in bios fails to solve this I will try disabling sleep and see if that changes anything i guess?

Its apparently a known issue with some boards not sleeping properly with DDR5 XMP enabled, just out of curiosity have you tried it with XMP off for a few days to see how it fares?

With the Ryzen 7000 system I'm working on I just threw expo out the window and manually tuned the ram, its like 20% faster and boots properly too. DDR5 seems to be quite picky and a pain in the butt as far as plug and play goes.

Its apparently a known issue with some boards not sleeping properly with DDR5 XMP enabled, just out of curiosity have you tried it with XMP off for a few days to see how it fares?

With the Ryzen 7000 system I'm working on I just threw expo out the window and manually tuned the ram, its like 20% faster and boots properly too. DDR5 seems to be quite picky and a pain in the butt as far as plug and play goes.
It seems the XMP is not a problem for my here, with this board and the Corsair DDR5 ... I am **pretty sure as it was the XHCI setting as it is nearly 2weeks and it hasn't happened again (/touch wood).

It seems the XMP is not a problem for my here, with this board and the Corsair DDR5 ... I am **pretty sure as it was the XHCI setting as it is nearly 2weeks and it hasn't happened again (/touch wood).

Nice, at least it was an easy fix.

Back