Z370 TAICHI, 8700k, Noctura, 1080ti no fit x16 what are options?

compufire

n00b
I researched a lot before buying but apparently not well enough. I got this system put together. The Noctura NH-D15 cooler is fantastic, everything booted up fine this morning. But now that I am eyeing the board and the 1080ti I see no way it is going to fit into the x16 slot with this cooler and this motherboard. I could try to turn the cooler 90 degrees but that would probably not work well, would lose a fan and would be pulling heat - now is pulling from front and exhausting from back with both fans. Case is Corsair AIR 540.

Options? Try x4 lane? Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of the GPU and this processor?

Really would like to keep this cooler as it works so well, but need the 1080ti. Is there a different motherboard with the x16 pcie NOT the nearest slot to the cpu?

I used to build these all the time but find myself 10 years un-edified in my PC building. And just didn't even think that motherboard manufacturers would put the best slot for a graphics board within inches of the CPU. Yuk.

Normally the GPU should fit in the slot just fine, but you should be able to use the 2nd x16 slot unless you wanted to use that for something else?.

The secondary x16 slot will work fine in single x16. Slap that 1080Ti in there and go for broke!

Now I am confused, but not really up on the tech so a normal state until I can reach understanding. I had emailed tech support and was told pcie2 was 16x, pcie3 was 8x, pcie4 was 4x and pcie5 was 4x. No secondary 16x.
My cooler covers pci1 and pcie2 has only about an inch from the cooler. What am I missing here?

In no way would/should a CPU cooler be designed to cover a PCI slot.

Try rotating the cooler 90°.

[if that doesn't work, then return it for something else, and note that your research neglected the dimensions of the cooler in the orientation that you intended to use it- try better next time :D ]

Now I am confused, but not really up on the tech so a normal state until I can reach understanding. I had emailed tech support and was told pcie2 was 16x, pcie3 was 8x, pcie4 was 4x and pcie5 was 4x. No secondary 16x.
My cooler covers pci1 and pcie2 has only about an inch from the cooler. What am I missing here?

an inch of space is fine between the CPU cooler and the GPU

I have a Gigabyte board, but looking at pics the slot positioning is the same on the Taichi. There should be no problems at all with using the top x16 slot, the D15 will cover the topmost x2 slot though.

I don't know why it wouldn't fit. If there were a widespread problem of the D15 not fitting with PCIe x16 slots in the second position down, I'm sure we would have heard about it by now.

I don't know if there is a standard for how far the 1st pcie slot is from the cpu socket. I have a x99 and and d15. It is pretty close which is why it has a thin sheet of insulation on the heatsink.

I don't know if there is a standard for how far the 1st pcie slot is from the cpu socket. I have a x99 and and d15. It is pretty close which is why it has a thin sheet of insulation on the heatsink.

Sure there's a standard for slot placement. ATX. You couldn't have standardized cases without it. That being said, the Taichi doesn't have the x16 slot in the first position (very few boards except extreme budget boards and some mATX) have it in the 1st position for this reason.

Now the placement of the actual socket...up to the manufacturer. That being said, there's only so much you can do in order to run the traces for RAM and power to the socket. There's a reason why boards all look similar.

According to the ATX specifications there is a recommended location for the socket
The exact location of the processor is not specified. It is recommended that it be located behind the external I/O connectors and to the right of the seventh expansion slot, so that it receives sufficient cooling. It may be cooled from a combination of the system fan, the fan located in the power supply, an active heatsink (fan attached to the processor), and/or normal airflow through the chassis. The exact method will depend on the specific processor cooling requirements.

Last edited:
OK, thanks for the replies - I do appreciate them.

I was wrong - I was thinking the GPU card fans were on the opposite side from which they are (I hadn't opened the video card box because if I didn't think it would work I wanted to return it).
OPERATOR ERROR ARRRGGHH
It fits fine and runs fine and the whole installation is fine (I think - one hour in).

BUT, it appears that there is only one x16 slot which is pcie2. There is no 2nd or secondary 16x slot; 8,4,4 - which is what Asrock support said. I do wish there was an option for a slot further from the cooler/cpu to be the 16x slot.
And, picie1 is lost to the cooler.

Last edited:
I say put it in one of the other slots regardless of how many lanes it has and save up for an aio... Just don't expect any kind of huge gain when you do move it up to the 16x

Back