Z170 USB Issues

I can say that the front USB 3.0 ports have issues, as well.
So far, the USB 3.1 port is the only one that seems 100%.
Well, the USB 2.0 ports are fine, but who wants to put an external SSD on those?
JJ

I built a new system with the Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 board a few weeks ago and also had problems with the USB 3.0 ports when connecting a Silverstone TS10 external SATA to USB enclosure. (JMicron SATA to USB chip) It works fine when using the red USB 3.1 port.

I tried different SATA drives and a different enclosure with ASMedia SATA to USB chip, and they all worked on both the 3.0 and 3.1 ports. I think it's a problem with the Microsoft provided USB 3.0 driver in Windows 10. Check if your USB 3 SSD uses a JMicron chip...

It might say you when you click on "Safely remove hardware" or in device manager under Storage Controllers (most likely it'll just say "USB Attached SCSI (UAS) Mass Storage Device").

Is it an enclosure you stuck an SSD in or you bought an external SSD? Post the model and I'll try to find if it's JMicron or ASMedia.

Is it an enclosure you stuck an SSD in or you bought an external SSD? Post the model and I'll try to find if it's JMicron or ASMedia.
Seagate backup plus
It's a small, bus-powered, drive (not enclosure).
JJ

When I upgraded to Windows 10 I quickly found out my Mediasonic 4 Bay Hard Drive enclosure isn't compatible. Kept disconnecting and reconnecting. Glad I kept my other rig and Windows 7 on it.

Plug-in the SSD to the USB 3.1 port
Go to Device Manager-->Storage controllers
Double click on "USB Attached SCSI (UAS) Mass Storage Device
Go to Details tab, under Property choose Hardware Ids
Post the Value here (should look like: USB\VID_......)

USB\VID_0BC2&PID_AB26&REV_0107
JJ

Vendor ID 0BC2 means Seagate, so it doesn't tell us the sata->USB chip provider. Sorry, I don't know if it's possible to ID the chip with software.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back