YouTube Targets Spam Subscriptions

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by cageymaru, Dec 14, 2018.

1. cageymaru

cageymaru [H]ard|News

YouTube has warned its creators that they are going to "see a noticeable decrease in your subscriber count" today when it bans hordes of spam subscriptions from the platform. This action is being taken to verify the legitimacy of accounts and actions on YouTube channels. A bug has been fixed that didn't allow for spam subscriptions to be removed from the system. "Removing spam from the platform helps ensure that YouTube remains a fair playing field for everyone and should result in higher confidence that you're organically building a community of authentic fans."

What if I have fallen below the YouTube Partner Program (YPP) threshold of 1,000 subscriptions as a result of the removal? Channels that had a high percentage of spam and fall below 1,000 subscribers will no longer meet the minimum requirement for YPP and will be removed from the program. They are encouraged to reapply once they've rebuilt their subscribers organically. You can learn about how to apply for YPP here.

2. BloodyIron

BloodyIron 2[H]4U

Let me guess, this is in response to PewDiePie?

craigdt, N4CR, Sikkyu and 1 other person like this.
  3. Patton187

Patton187 Gawd

Yep just can't accept that people are not interested in getting woke.

4. Tak Ne

Tak Ne [H]ard|Gawd

"YouTube remains a fair playing field for everyone"... only if you change the definition of everyone to exclude most people.

5. Derangel

Derangel [H]ard as it Gets

What? Youtube has routinely gone after bot and spam accounts. This is just the first time they've bothered to actually announce it, which is a good change.

6. Spidey329

Spidey329 [H]ardForum Junkie

Why, did the other channel pass him? I'd laugh if that channel dropped off significantly.

7. Jagger100

Jagger100 [H]ardness Supreme

Spam 'subscription' how do you determine that. There's some channel I subscribe to bookmark them. I'm not on them often but want to go to them from time to time. Because I'm not a frequent consumer, will that be judged a spam subscription.

People are going to hemmorage subscribers and YT will have to pay out less money. They want to be a hub for corporate creators while not letting a new place for independent creators exist.

craigdt, viscountalpha and mynamehere like this.
  8. Derangel

Derangel [H]ard as it Gets

There are services where you can pay to have them add subscribers to your channel. Or sometimes people can create multiple accounts and use them to boost their sub numbers. There are also "sub for sub" things people do that ends up creating fake subscribers as all it does it boost the number, not the views or channel engagement. Some real people and real subs will definitely get hit with this, but it doesn't look like they're banning suspected fake accounts just removing suspected fake or spam subs from channels. So if you do end up getting unsubbed from some channels you can just resubscribe.

BlueFireIce likes this.
  9. Galvin

Galvin 2[H]4U

Twitter should do this. The amount of fake accounts is probably in the millions

commissioneranthony likes this.
  10. Sikkyu

Sikkyu I Question Reality

this is a wake up call to sub to PewDiePie. Everyone needs to do their part vs T Series

craigdt likes this.
  11. Dekoth-E-

Dekoth-E- [H]ardness Supreme

Why?.. It doesn't affect me in the slightest who the biggest is.

12. Skull_Angel

Skull_Angel [H]ard|Gawd

I wanna say PewDiePie sub advertisements are just a meme now, but it's honestly hard for me to tell because internet.

13. maxz01

maxz01 Limp Gawd

Heres a funny way you can sabotage someones channel or instagram: buy bot views, likes and subscriptions for them! They will be banned or shadowbanned as a result.

14. ManofGod

ManofGod [H]ardForum Junkie

spam spam spam spam spam spam spam...… New buzz word for the masses?

Edit: Oh, and is this just another way to force their own point of view well claiming otherwise?

GoldenTiger likes this.
  15. Laowai

Laowai Gawd

Possibly. We'll see how it turns out.