YouTube Buying Twitch For $1B?

Zarathustra[H];1040839664 said:
And that being said, Twitch is apparently the fourth largest source of internet traffic during peak times in the United States, behind Netflix, Google, and Apple....

Do not understand...

Where is the fun in watching someone else play a game? I think I would be bored to tears in about 30 seconds flat.

Kids have way too much time on their hands when they don't even WASTE it well. :p

So whenever you were slightly interested in games you MUST play them at all points in the day? Twitch.tv is TV for gamers. If someone doesn't feel like playing a game they can stream someone else playing it in the background while doing other things.

And why do articles keep mentioning YouTube buying Twitch.tv when YouTube itself is owned by Google?

Google buys Twitch.tv

I wish the news section had an edit button :p

Great, now the stuff I watch being streamed will all go the way of the Doh Doh bird.

I wasn't sure how the business model even worked though, they needed more and more capacity and yet who or what was really paying for it all?

You-Twitch-Tube.TeeVee :rolleyes::eek::cool:

Great, now the stuff I watch being streamed will all go the way of the Doh Doh bird.

I wasn't sure how the business model even worked though, they needed more and more capacity and yet who or what was really paying for it all?

You-Twitch-Tube.TeeVee :rolleyes::eek::cool:

The ads before the stream generate revenue for twitch. Streamers themselves can run ads too but you also get ads that go to Twitch's pockets. I tested my own stream and it was giving me ads even though I'm not partnered with anyone so it has to be going to twitch.

FWIW when you subscribe to a channel on twitch, it gets split 50/50 between twitch and the streamer. Still hard to imagine ads + subscriptions can pay for everything, but then again I don't see how it works for youtube either.

Back