[YourNewCase] SUGO ... 5! GO!

A little more power for them new future cards of course! :D

Edit: A modular unit would be sweet. Fully modular especially.

Given that the most powerful card currently consumes less than 200W and that the trend is for lower and lower consumption, I wouldn't worry too much about a bigger PSU.

A modular unit would be fantastic. Cable management is at its trickiest in a SFF case like the SG05.

What kind of cable management are people using?

Are NON-oc'd i5's with stock coolers keeping things cool enough?

How about graphics cards, do the 560ti's maintain a reasonable temp under load? My biggest fear right now is the temperature if I build one of these.

So a 10.5" GPU would be too long without modding in the SG05, correct? The 7950 is very tempting to me right now with the recent price drop. I need more horses, and I have no patience for nvidia and it's May release schedule!

What kind of cable management are people using?

Are NON-oc'd i5's with stock coolers keeping things cool enough?

How about graphics cards, do the 560ti's maintain a reasonable temp under load? My biggest fear right now is the temperature if I build one of these.

Cable management is tough in such a tiny case. I use zip ties and you can route a few of the cables through the frame.

I used the stock cooler for a while on my i5's. 70C was the top temp under Prime95. Its a little noisy under load so I now use Shuriken Rev Bs. 60-65 max now with the fan set on "quiet" via BIOS.

The 560ti gets to about 80 max under benchmarking. The only game that I have seen push the card anywhere near as close is SW:TOR.

So a 10.5" GPU would be too long without modding in the SG05, correct? The 7950 is very tempting to me right now with the recent price drop. I need more horses, and I have no patience for nvidia and it's May release schedule!

Yes. 9.5" or 10" if the power connectors are on top is absolute max.

I posted pics of a 7950 installed in one of these cases in this thread.

I think the Powercolor HD7970 V3 might fit, it says it's 265mm which will put it at touching the front panel but it should go without cutting?

I posted pics of a 7950 installed in one of these cases in this thread.
IMG_0493.jpg

^This or stop waiting until May and get a 680 :D
PS - Temps are fine

sg05.jpg

Thing with the GTX680 is, at least here in the UK, we're paying around 15% more money for 6% more performance.

But it's just impossible to find an HD7970 that fits, so I may have to just suck it up.

Other option is an HD7950 and clock it, some people on OcUK are getting upwards of a 50% overclock.

The Ti versions of the 680 due out in May I think it is. 670Ti I think they are calling it. Supposed to be a second Ti version as well. 650/660. Not sure what it was called.

This is so sexy.

Hey MissJ, I think I asked you earlier about you running the Sam CPU cooler on your processor. I was wondering, do you think it would be possible to fit one of those water cooler CPU coolers in there such as the H60? I know the GPU goes almost right up against the fan but I wasn't sure how much overhang there is of the radiators.

This is so sexy.

Hey MissJ, I think I asked you earlier about you running the Sam CPU cooler on your processor. I was wondering, do you think it would be possible to fit one of those water cooler CPU coolers in there such as the H60? I know the GPU goes almost right up against the fan but I wasn't sure how much overhang there is of the radiators.

Yes, I've had an H60 in this case, but the pump was too noisy. Mind you I'm very sensitive to noise and my "too noisy" might be fine for you. You can fit the H60 easily (or an H70/H80 as seen below), but won't be able to use the DVD tray, because you need to mount the radiator vertically. Doing it this way, will create no conflict with the GPU and there will be plenty of room to place a 2.5 ssd or hdd vertically in front of the RAM (maybe even two). Lastly, none of the photos below are mine and it's a lot easier to contain your cables compared to the second and third photos. I ran the PCIe, excess, and unneeded cables around my intake fan, which stayed put, because of the gap created from the H60. All I'm saying is that my case was no where near as messy as those two photos lol.

rurymq.jpg

70a2c959editedai.jpg

photo1or.jpg

FYI, you can also put a 2.5" SSD directly under the H50/60etc. There is JUST enough space to do so as you can see in the first pic. It was how I had my SSD installed.

FYI, you can also put a 2.5" SSD directly under the H50/60etc. There is JUST enough space to do so as you can see in the first pic. It was how I had my SSD installed.

What about that little thing that sticks up? Will that interfere? Despite all the pump noise bitching I've done, I just purchased another H60 in the hopes it'll be quiet. I picked up an i7 2600k in anticipation for Z77 and I don't think the Samuel 17 is going to cut it. I'm also tired of how much of a pain it is to mount it, so here's to hoping I get a quiet pump :p

Edit: Ohhh I see now that I zoomed in. I keep front header cables under there, but I'll try and see if I can make that work.

I've only been able to get a single 2.5" drive under there. I use double sided velcro pads to attach the HDD to the floor of the case and keep it from moving in transit. :)

I recently picked up an i7 2600k in anticipation of getting a Z77 ITX board, and just purchased an H60. We all the know the Samuel 17 isn't going to cut it. After looking at the back of my current board, it looks like I may have problems mounting the H60. Will this be a problem? I'm going to be a little angry if so and this might drive me back into the mATX market lol :p

asusp8h67ideluxe.png

I recently picked up an i7 2600k in anticipation of getting a Z77 ITX board, and just purchased an H60. We all the know the Samuel 17 isn't going to cut it. After looking at the back of my current board, it looks like I may have problems mounting the H60. Will this be a problem? I'm going to be a little angry if so and this might drive me back into the mATX market lol :p

snip

For some reason i dont think the backplate sits right on the board around the holes.. if so maybe you can just add a couple of plastic washers to put some space on it so it doesnt touch that chip or whatever. Just my opinion

Yeah, people have used washers in the past on various mobos. It is a simple work around.

what is that?

Looks like an Anus H61 itx board to me going by the Bluetooth protrusion on the i/o

Why do ppl use H60/xx low end WC when a decent air cooler (samuel/AX140) is just as or more efficient with a lot less noise :confused:

Looks like an Anus H61 itx board to me going by the Bluetooth protrusion on the i/o

Why do ppl use H60/xx low end WC when a decent air cooler (samuel/AX140) is just as or more efficient with a lot less noise :confused:

Regardless of that, the back of my board looks exactly the same. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131709
I have a Samuel 17, and while I agree with you about the noise factor, it totally sucks lol. The H60 I had before kept my i5 much cooler, and I think it will work better for a lightly overclocked i7 2600k coupled with an upcoming Z77 ITX board.

I cut off the socket 1366 holes when I used an H50 on my h55n. You can also use washers so you have clearance.

Yeah, people have used washers in the past on various mobos. It is a simple work around.
Yeah, I forgot that the backplate bracket has plastic washers that should cover this (Photo below) and keep it off the motherboard. Worst case scenario, I'll have to use washers, so I got worked up about nothing. Thanks :D
I cut off the socket 1366 holes when I used an H50 on my h55n. You can also use washers so you have clearance.

Yes, I'm not sure if they were yours, but I've seen the photos. I've done that before with an H50, but the backplate for the H60 is different than the H50 (metal not plastic?). Anyway, it looks like I'll probably be fine with this setup. Thanks

h60e.jpg

Yeah, I forgot that the backplate bracket has plastic washers that should cover this (Photo below) and keep it off the motherboard. Worst case scenario, I'll have to use washers, so I got worked up about nothing. Thanks :D

Yes, I'm not sure if they were yours, but I've seen the photos. I've done that before with an H50, but the backplate for the H60 is different than the H50 (metal not plastic?). Anyway, it looks like I'll probably be fine with this setup. Thanks

Ah, I didn't know the mounting bracket changed for the H60. Haha, I am outdated. Washers seems to be the best solution.

I'm converting my case into a WHS. Any suggestions as to fitting at least 4 hd's in the case? Was going to try to make somehting this weekend if there is nothing easy out there. Also, does anyone have the bezel/front dvd drive plate that they are no longer using? Put my drive in my new HTPC case and don't need the whole there. :) PM me if you have one that you don't need. Thanks.

asusp8h67ideluxe.png

Well, if you're getting the Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe (which IMO is the best Z77 ITX board coming out, then this is its back:

P1050083.jpg

Its socket area looks relatively clean for backplate installation.

WOW that's huge! I got the H60 on my current board, however some of the capacitors (left) side prevented it from sitting flush with the tubes up top. I had to rotate the tubes toward the back of the case and all is well. Undervolted stock i7 2600k maxing out in the mid 40's under Prime and this is with two Scythe Slipstream PWM fans (very quiet). The pump is silent and so is the rest of my system. I may go with the Asus Z77, but not if it's ~$230+ and the Asrock turns out to be $100 less. I'll be happy with 4.5-4.6 or, so I'm not sure if it'll matter which I go with.

Grr, Ivy Bridge out Sunday, where are the miniITX boards? There's just no stock in the channels. :(

WOW that's huge! I got the H60 on my current board, however some of the capacitors (left) side prevented it from sitting flush with the tubes up top. I had to rotate the tubes toward the back of the case and all is well. Undervolted stock i7 2600k maxing out in the mid 40's under Prime and this is with two Scythe Slipstream PWM fans (very quiet). The pump is silent and so is the rest of my system. I may go with the Asus Z77, but not if it's ~$230+ and the Asrock turns out to be $100 less. I'll be happy with 4.5-4.6 or, so I'm not sure if it'll matter which I go with.

Sorry about the size, it was the only one I could find.

Mind posting pics of your current setup? I love the sound of your build.

Hello Guys,

I been following this SSF thread for quite awhile already.

I'm planning to build a SSF for myself...This is my first time building a SSF and just need some guidance weather if everything is able to fit in this tiny sg05 and if the power supply have enough power to boot everything up.

Build in mind currently

Casing = SG-05 with 450W
CPU = i5 2500k or i5 3550k(ivy bridge)
Motherboard = Zotac z68 Wifi or any new Z77 mini ITX motherboard
Ram = G.Skill F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM or Corsair CMZ4GX3M1A1600C9B x2 ( just wondering if the heatsink will fit in the build? as limited space in the casing)
Graphic card = ATI 7850 (for now).
SSD = Corsair 60GB SSD Force Series 3 ( for windows)
HDD = Seagate 500GB Barracuda HDD
Cooler = Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H40

I just wondering if all this parts could fit in Sg-05 casing without any mod.

Feel free to comment

Thank you,

Cheers.

You can fit it all in if you mount the HDD and SSD in alternative locations. The SSD can go on the floor of the case and the HDD can sit on the right side next to the rad. It has been done before. I'm just not sure if you will get much more benefit from the H40 than a decent air cooler like the AXP-140RT, Samuel 17 or Shuriken Rev B. Granted some of the air coolers have mounting issues depending on the mobo. If you are going for only 500GB, you may also want to consider a Seagate XT 2.5" hybrid drive.

You can also mount them in the cage, and have the radiator sideways, if you're using that graphics card, because it is short enough, but if you intend to upgrade to a longer one such as a GTX 680, then you would need to mount it the way the above poster described.

You can fit it all in if you mount the HDD and SSD in alternative locations. The SSD can go on the floor of the case and the HDD can sit on the right side next to the rad. It has been done before. I'm just not sure if you will get much more benefit from the H40 than a decent air cooler like the AXP-140RT, Samuel 17 or Shuriken Rev B. Granted some of the air coolers have mounting issues depending on the mobo. If you are going for only 500GB, you may also want to consider a Seagate XT 2.5" hybrid drive.

Thanks for the reply...

What type of cooler would you recommend that will able to fit in there ? the top in ur list =)...

The AXP-140RT is considered by far the best. Can't recall about fan clearance but you will be able to use a 10-15mm fan at best, IIRC. The AXP is huge and fills the whole motherboard. I have seen it work on the Z68 but I don't know about the new boards. Clearly an advantage for the WC here but then you have to figure the placement of other components. I like air because even if the fan fails it still provides some cooling unlike WC systems where you will be in real trouble with a pump failure. The Samuel will be second best at cooling and the Shuriken will be the quietest.

Sorry about the size, it was the only one I could find.

Mind posting pics of your current setup? I love the sound of your build.

My GF took the physics GREs and we just got home from a long trip. There are some photos of my setup with a Samuel 17 a two pages back, but I'll post some with the H60 tomorrow :)

The AXP-140RT is considered by far the best. Can't recall about fan clearance but you will be able to use a 10-15mm fan at best, IIRC. The AXP is huge and fills the whole motherboard. I have seen it work on the Z68 but I don't know about the new boards. Clearly an advantage for the WC here but then you have to figure the placement of other components. I like air because even if the fan fails it still provides some cooling unlike WC systems where you will be in real trouble with a pump failure. The Samuel will be second best at cooling and the Shuriken will be the quietest.

This, but the AXP-140 will not work on the Asus Z77 due to socket location. Also, I'm not sure why you say the Shuriken will be the quietest, because that would be related to which fan you use. Given that the Samuel 17 doesn't come with a fan, I'd imagine they'd create the same amount of noise using the same fan.

This, but the AXP-140 will not work on the Asus Z77 due to socket location. Also, I'm not sure why you say the Shuriken will be the quietest, because that would be related to which fan you use. Given that the Samuel 17 doesn't come with a fan, I'd imagine they'd create the same amount of noise using the same fan.

Probably because most times I have seen it used, people choose a more powerful fan for better cooling. Of course, nothing stopping anyone from using a nice quiet Nexus or Scythe but then I wonder if the performance would not be on par with the Shuriken.

Probably because most times I have seen it used, people choose a more powerful fan for better cooling. Of course, nothing stopping anyone from using a nice quiet Nexus or Scythe but then I wonder if the performance would not be on par with the Shuriken.

I would hope even at a lower noise level the samuel 17 would be better...the heatsink on the samuel 17 is better (I have a shuriken rev b), and the fact you can use 120mm fans that are thicker, means even at the same noise level, the larger and thicker fan should be moving considerably more air than the thin 100mm one with the shuriken.

Even looking on the scythe website, their 120mm fans at the same noise level as the 100mm one moves more than double amount the air at lower or similar noise levels.

Back