• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Your Wall-Mounted HDTV Probably Violates Electrical Codes

Mine is all to NEC standard. The last thing you want is your house burned down because you took short cuts.

No kidding, how many burned rack photos have we seen over the years? One should be enough.
 
To pass code in california you just need a single gang remodel box (ie blue boxes at homedepot or lowes), S.O. Cable or Romex 15 amp (white color), a new outlet receptical, and a decor plate. This might cost $25 with tax.

Another note... They also make recessed receptical you can buy from an electrical distributor or order from homedepot/ lowes. This would benefit low profile mounts.

Yea, it differs state to state.

I can do all the actual labor, but a licensed electrician has to be the one actually making the connections.
 
A friend of mine told me about this when I had plans to run electrical in my kitchen and wanted to do a wall mount TV. Makes sense.
 
A friend of mine told me about this when I had plans to run electrical in my kitchen and wanted to do a wall mount TV. Makes sense.

Most electricians will bargain with you too. If you cut out the holes and get the boxes and everything ready, to where all he has to do is make the connection... It'll take him 5 minutes. He'd be perfectly happy with a $50 bill.
 
Yea, it differs state to state.

I can do all the actual labor, but a licensed electrician has to be the one actually making the connections.

I've never seen a law where the home owner can't do his own electrical work.
 
I've never seen a law where the home owner can't do his own electrical work.

There are a lot of factors, but to my recollection, there is no law for single family home owners to make any changes, however, this does not exclude the home owner from liabilities and also have to full disclose that to the buyer if he decides to sell his home, or he can face other sorts of issues and liabilities down the road. Additionally, to this, you can also get in a hell hole with inspectors, if they notice... they can force you to rip all your wiring out.

Some states also require you to pull permits for any electrical work, which typically results in an inspection.
 
There are a lot of factors, but to my recollection, there is no law for single family home owners to make any changes, however, this does not exclude the home owner from liabilities and also have to full disclose that to the buyer if he decides to sell his home, or he can face other sorts of issues and liabilities down the road. Additionally, to this, you can also get in a hell hole with inspectors, if they notice... they can force you to rip all your wiring out.

Some states also require you to pull permits for any electrical work, which typically results in an inspection.

Yeah, I've seen stuff about inspections and thats fine, but I've never seen a state that says you can't do the wiring even if we inpsect it afterwards.
 
although, if your going through the trouble of making a hole,etc - why not just do it properly and put and outlet!
 
This is what I do for a living...custom home theaters. Believe it or not, there are extension cords that DO meet safety codes for running inside the walls. I NEVER place a plugged end inside a wall, only the cord, and I just don't see the safety hazard with that. So far, after hanging 100's of tv's, I've never had a problem. HOWEVER, I do tell all of my clients that they should hire an electrician to run power up the wall, it's up to them to do so. They know what I'm doing and I make if very clear to them.

I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but in the end it's not my decision, it's up to the client. MOST of them get an electrician in to run power, but not all. And I NEVER run across studs. Straight down only.
 
This is what I do for a living...custom home theaters. Believe it or not, there are extension cords that DO meet safety codes for running inside the walls. I NEVER place a plugged end inside a wall, only the cord, and I just don't see the safety hazard with that. So far, after hanging 100's of tv's, I've never had a problem. HOWEVER, I do tell all of my clients that they should hire an electrician to run power up the wall, it's up to them to do so. They know what I'm doing and I make if very clear to them.

I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but in the end it's not my decision, it's up to the client. MOST of them get an electrician in to run power, but not all. And I NEVER run across studs. Straight down only.

Do you have it in writing that the client declined proper electrical installation? If not, you are screwed when it comes to liability.
 
Back
Top