Your old school favorites: obscure edition

Technoob

Supreme [H]ardness
Probably been a million of these threads, but I always enjoy seeing new perspectives.

Here's what I've been playing lately:

Gemfire (snes and genesis)
Metal Marines (snes)
Warrior of Rome 2 (genesis)

My obscure favorites include:

The Longest Journey (PC)
Milton's Secret Castle (NES)
Nanostray (NDS)

EDIT to add and agree with below:

Rock & Roll Racing (SNES)

Rock & Roll Racing (Snes) that was a fun game !! :)

Darksun (PC)

Just installed again and played some again. Wish this series would make a return.

Battle of Olympus (NES), and if you like adventure style games, I really enjoyed Grim Fandango.

My favourite old obscure PC game is Ecstatica. Used "Ellipsoid" technology, meaning everything was built out of rounded rather than square polygons. It was a "cinematic action adventure game" just like Alone in the Dark, so the 3D characters would move around in static pre-rendered environments. There was a neat hand-to-hand combat system. I never actually got very far in the game, but I sure enjoyed playing it.

Here is a link to a video showing the opening of the game. That's pretty damn good 3D animation for a game in 1993!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2GMksROum8

Not playing it now, but Nox for the PC was enjoyable. I've been playing a lot of Baseball Stars (NES) on my Q9c lately. :D I've also played Dragon Warrior (NES) on it. (but DW not so obscure)

I wouldn't say it's too obscure, but I did speedrun Megaman 2 on my PocketPC a few days ago :D. That game never gets old...

Not playing it now, but Nox for the PC was enjoyable. I've been playing a lot of Baseball Stars (NES) on my Q9c lately. :D I've also played Dragon Warrior (NES) on it. (but DW not so obscure)

Oh man - I remember Baseball Stars! Best baseball game for a LONG time. I made a custom team with me and my friends and went through the crazy process of getting all "90 Max" players via trades. Pretty much almost every hit was a home-run and the players were so fast in the outfield that it was like they were flying.

RPM racing
life force
Heavy Barrel
Hell fire
Time Gal
Beyond the Beyond
landstalker
shining in the darkness
7th saga
heist

On The Ball (Snes) :eek:

Edit: And Kid Chameleon wasn't bad when you learned the second level to last level warp :p

Castlevania IV (Snes)Unicycles (SNES)
Killer Instinct (MAME32)
Alien 3: the gun (MaME32)
Raiden Project 1-2 (MAME32)
F22-Interceptor (Genesis)
Battletech (Genesis)
Kings Field (PSX)

King's Quest............................................

guess nobody ever heard of that one.

but damn near have to be a god to pass it without a method of saving I got to like level 66 on Gens and died in the game and a little bit of me died in real life too.

Oh my effing everything. Kid Chameleon. that game was hard as balls but so fun - I remember spending HOURS as kid playing this game

What were the levels like "elsewhere" and such hahha/.

How old is old school?

Been playing Baldur's Gate II

Just beat the whole campaign using a single sorc.

Also just went through fallout 1/2. Played civilization 2 a bit. Also played ff6 on the gameboy this year... having a hard time enjoy newer gen games, spend a lot of time playing old ones.

Rampart on SNES. Where you build you castles and shoot at the walls of the other player. I haven't seen anything like it in a while.

Radical Dreamers, (SNES) It's a side-story in the Chrono series. Explains a lot of the details from Cross.

Uplink (PC): hacking game, think nethack, neuromancer, etc.

Back