Your favorite old school games

Oleg34

Limp Gawd
So what were your favorite old school games?.

As for me. They were Super Mario Bros. for the original Nintendo console and Mortal Kombat for Sega genesis. I was never able to master how to do fatality.

Last edited:
Is PS1 considered old school now? I'm putting up FFVIII. I know a lot of people really hated it but it's my favorite FF game.

Playing Metroid Prime for the first time on the Gamecube. I think this us probably one of the best first person shooters I ever played. Certainly one of the best designed as far as level design and puzzle solving. Right up there with Goldeneye for sheer fun, even though there is no multiplayer. I am a huge a Turok fan, but I think Metroid Prime is better. I'm liking it much more than Halo. It's like the more I play it the more impressed I become. I love finding games like this!

I burned some serious hours on the games below
R.C. Pro Am
Castlevania 2 and 3
Micro Machines
Festers Quest
Super Mario Bros 2 and 3
Blaster Master
Super Dodge Ball
Nintendo World Cup

Just about every SNES and Genesis Side Scrolling shooter.

You can still play most of the old school games with help of emulators and roms on PC. Yea i know, it won't be as fun as playing those old school games on real console, but still fun.

Last edited:
NBA Jam
Zelda Ocarina of Time
Sonic 2
Primal Rage on arcade lol

Can't forget the super awesome... EARTHBOUND! Just beat it again on my phone with an emulator.

wing commander
x-wing
syndicate
mechwarrior
f117a strike fighter
f19
Commander Keen
Solar Winds

Using a 20-year rule, with a few exceptions. I didn't really get into gaming until the early '90s (born in '83). There are going to be a lot of racing games.

Car and Driver (DOS)
Ghostbusters (Sega Master System)
Indy Car Racing 2 (DOS)
Oregon Trail (Apple ][ )
Road & Track Presents: The Need for Speed (DOS)
Robocop (Tandy 1000-series)
Rock n' Roll Racing (SNES)
Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)
Super Mario Kart (SNES)
Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (GB)
Super Metroid (SNES)
Super R.C. Pro-Am (GB)
Test Drive 2: The Duel (DOS)
The Ultimate DOOM (DOS)
World Circuit (DOS)

Earthsiege II
Tie Fighter
Stunts
Fatal Racing
Doom II
F29 Retaliator
Raptor: Call of the Shadows
LHX: Attack Chopper
F1GP
F1GP2
Command & Conquer
Network Q RAC Rally

Right at the moment

Gemfire
Dragon Force
Shining Force III
Sonic Adventure
Mechwarrior 4:mercenaries
FFVI
House of the Dead Collection on my PS3

Contra Arcade

Time Soliders Arcade

1942 Arcade

Operation Wolf Arcade

KICKER Arcade

Gladiator Arcade

Final Fantasy 3 SNES

Super Metroid SNES

Metroid NES

Mike Tyson's Punch Out NES

Kid Icarus NES

Thunder Force 3 Genesis

Double Dragon Arcade

Ultima Online PC

Dark Age of Camelot PC /// cant' wait for Camelot Unchained only kickstarter I ever backed.

Everquest 2

I played a lot of stuff =)

Out of This World
Doom
Final Fantasy VI
Zelda: Link to the Past
Street Fighter II

Team Fortress Classic

For a while I was able to reconcile TF2 with Classic, but man if you've played at all in the last couple years that game has gotten just way too busy with the aesthetic crap. Its unplayable these days.

Pitfall
Civilization
Wing Commander series
Privateer
Star Control 2
Outpost 2
Starcraft

Contra and Double Dragon were the first games to make me really see a good future for gaming. I generally just played Mario and Donkey Kong occasionally before those.

My favorite old school games are:
Stunt Driver - I was addicted to this game as a kid, though I hear it was the bad version of Stunts
Little Nemo: Dream Master
Doom
Donkey Kong Country
Super Metroid
Descent
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Super Mario RPG
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy VI

For a while I was able to reconcile TF2 with Classic, but man if you've played at all in the last couple years that game has gotten just way too busy with the aesthetic crap. Its unplayable these days.

Screw TF2, i had to basically turn my brain off and realize it's a totally different game to even play it :(

Screw TF2, i had to basically turn my brain off and realize it's a totally different game to even play it :(
Yeah I stopped playing shortly after they introduced the crates and the Mann-Conomy. I was able to make it through 5 series of crates before I stopped, IIRC (I think they're up to 90 now...). Vanilla TF2 servers aren't worth the 30GB download full of crap these days.

Alpha Centauri
Civilization II
Descent
Doom II
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Resident Evil
Sonic Adventure
Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Mario World
Super Mario 64
Tenchu: Stealth Assassins
Tetris

Battlefield-1942+RTR+SWOWW2.jpg

Kotorbox.jpg

Homeworld_-_Cataclysm_Coverart.png

1032074-ut_front.jpg

mechwarrior-2-31st-century-combat_1.jpg

SimCity_2000_Coverart.png

49213be1-174d-46ce-a5f1-1ccf6d6033e3.jpg

Twisted_Metal_2.jpg

final-fantasy-8-cover.jpg

RE1.jpg

Last edited:
Birds of Prey was one of my favorites, played that game for hours and hours.
I still have it in its box. I think it's 21 years old.
I think this game as well as Combat Air Patrol above it used that Manual copy protection where it will ask you for a certain word on a certain page of the Manual before the games would run.
sgi.jpg

Every time I fire up an emulator, it's always ZSNES and it's always the classic platformers; DKC One and Two, Super Metroid, Super Mario World One and Two - Two is way underrated I feel. Hell, I even play Bubsy. That's right, Bubsy.

Shout out to Aero the Acrobat.

Others have posted the Wing Commander series and Star Control II. Those two were insanely good. I remember SC II as a game where you downright needed a strategy guide, as the game was so vast.
Birds of Prey was one of my favorites, played that game for hours and hours.
I still have it in its box. I think it's 21 years old.
I think this game as well as Combat Air Patrol above it used that Manual copy protection where it will ask you for a certain word on a certain page of the Manual before the games would run.]
Never mind Birds of Prey, you have SGI workstations? Are they in working order?

Were you in the business of 3D design in the 90's?

I did 3D in the 90's but not with the SGI machines. I used Lightwave 3D on the Amiga and then on the PC when it was ported.
I have always wanted an SGI workstation but couldn't afford one. These were machines from a government auction and were on a pallet with other stuff. My friend let me have them since he didn't want them. I have never powered them on and there are no hard drives in them, just wanted them since they looked cool.
I was planning on modding the Indigo into a PC as I saw one someone else who did it, but I never got around to doing it.

Zork
Ultima 1
Wizardry 1
Nobunaga's Ambition
Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Diablo 1
Escape from Castle Wolfenstein
Bard's Tale
Might and Magic
Heroes of might and magic
Warcraft

Back